Dvca - How Do We Make It Better?

_Blackhawk_

5 months and no ideas on how to make things better?

I'll throw one out there - 4 piece kookaburra balls for all grades. Yeh, yeh I know, it costs a few bucks more but I don't think that's too much of an issue as clubs seemingly throw around endless sums of cash for overseas players. Playing lower grade cricket all this year, I've seen a lot of guys cleaned up by a swinging ball. A 4 piece would drag some of the advantage away from the bowlers, which is probably more important as you go down the grades. It's also give a standard ball for practice sessions as it's no use a lower grade player facing the 4 piece ball.

5 months and no ideas on how to make things better?

I'll throw one out there - 4 piece kookaburra balls for all grades. Yeh, yeh I know, it costs a few bucks more but I don't think that's too much of an issue as clubs seemingly throw around endless sums of cash for overseas players. Playing lower grade cricket all this year, I've seen a lot of guys cleaned up by a swinging ball. A 4 piece would drag some of the advantage away from the bowlers, which is probably more important as you go down the grades. It's also give a standard ball for practice sessions as it's no use a lower grade player facing the 4 piece ball.

Your club might.

Other clubs spend their money elsewhere.

Yeh, those that aren't looking at overseas players are spending it on local ones? lol

So apart from sniping, have you a comment on the issue I raised? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy exchanging thinly veiled digs with you, but I was rather hoping for some relevant feedback and discussion on 4 piece balls for lower grades. I'm sure that's not beyond you.

Last edited:
Yeh, those that aren't looking at overseas players are spending it on local ones? lol

So apart from sniping, have you a comment on the issue I raised? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy exchanging thinly veiled digs with you, but I was rather hoping for some relevant feedback and discussion on 4 piece balls for lower grades. I'm sure that's not beyond you.

As a batsmen (word used loosely) no way should their be four piece balls down there. Blokes in the top grades (seconds above) struggle to move the 4 piece at times. If the bowlers in the lower grades lost that ability, it would just become a run fest. And having batsmen just dominate is not good for the game at all.

I have noticed diamond valley is a baller dominated comp why is that? Usually most games are low scoring with 110-120 being competitive. Is the bowling that good or is it just the technique of the batsman not good enough in this comp? If so how do we solve it?

I have noticed diamond valley is a baller dominated comp why is that? Usually most games are low scoring with 110-120 being competitive. Is the bowling that good or is it just the technique of the batsman not good enough in this comp? If so how do we solve it?

Three words.

The same reason everyone is a cross bat slogger and our kids can't play on the front foot.

ALL WEATHER PITCHES

Three words.

The same reason everyone is a cross bat slogger and our kids can't play on the front foot.

ALL WEATHER PITCHES

Turf wickets can be hard to bat on too, inconsistent bounce that stays low deteriorating wickets etc. So in some regards synthetic is better innit with more consistent bounce?

Turf wickets can be hard to bat on too, inconsistent bounce that stays low deteriorating wickets etc. So in some regards synthetic is better innit with more consistent bounce?

The bounce on an all weather pitch is consistently nothing like the bounce a cricket ball should be like.

At least with low playing turf pitches you can use correct technique and drive the ball.

And not every turf pitch in a comp is crap, like all pitches in the DVCA are. You might get stuck on an ordinary one, or a sticky one a couple of times a year. In the DVCA, you're batting on crap every week, home or away.

Arguably a matter of preference.

But turf wickets provide more conventional bounce. It's academic anyway because the council would never roll out turf wicket tables.

Certainly, the focus should be on improving synthetic wickets. Faster, lower bouncing synthetic wickets is better for cricket. The medium pace bowlers might not agree.

That being said, when we went from 2 to 4 piece balls I expected to see larger scores, more consistantly, I'm don't think that happened.

Points system would be a heck of a lot easier to administer.
Be interesting to see how the points/salary control hybrid trials go in the footy this season.

Salary caps in local sports simply do not work. I know of a number of district 1s cricketers, and amateur league footballers all of which are and have been paid, including very big amounts.

It's not hard to get around, the club doesn't give them a cent, but a sponsor gives them X per game. That way the club never handled the money. It's a rubbish idea that is a waste of time.

Salary caps in local sports simply do not work. I know of a number of district 1s cricketers, and amateur league footballers all of which are and have been paid, including very big amounts.

It's not hard to get around, the club doesn't give them a cent, but a sponsor gives them X per game. That way the club never handled the money. It's a rubbish idea that is a waste of time.

Agreed, impossible to administer salary caps.
A points system is easy, however.
Provided anyone can ever work out what "First Class Cricket" means in Sri Lanka.;)

Yeah, Steven Spoljaric's wife was being paid a large amount of money back in the day to do HMU's lunches. Points system isn't perfect, but with mycricket and subsequently, better records of where cricketers played their juniors, it would get better and better if they wanted to go that way.

With a salary cap, all you get is clubs accusing other clubs of rorting it.

I know next year is an exception but do u think 1 up 1 down relegation system can be improved. I mean with a good strong association like diamond valley sometimes more then 1 team sometimes deserve to play in a higher grade instead of being stuck in money shield for 20 years. Top 2 should get promotion I reckon rewards a good side that just got unlucky.

Last edited:
I know next year is an exception but do u think 1 up 1 down relegation system can be improved. I mean with a good strong association like diamond valley sometimes more then 1 team sometimes deserve to play in a higher grade instead of being stuck in money shield for 20 years. Top 2 should get promotion I reckon rewards a good side that just got unlucky.
I think it is a bit tough on 2nd last team from Barclay going down. In recent years teams like Plenty and Epping have finished 3rd or 2nd last and under your system they may go down. Both these teams were prominent in Barclay this year. plenty should have won the thing. In money shield banyule went ordinary last year and had an outstanding year this year. Was this year a flash in the pan? Do they deserve promotion on yhe back of a good year?
Sometimes teams have a bad year but may just stay up but with 2 up 2 down its too cut throat and there may be yo yo ing between grades.

I think it is a bit tough on 2nd last team from Barclay going down. In recent years teams like Plenty and Epping have finished 3rd or 2nd last and under your system they may go down. Both these teams were prominent in Barclay this year. plenty should have won the thing. In money shield banyule went ordinary last year and had an outstanding year this year. Was this year a flash in the pan? Do they deserve promotion on yhe back of a good year?
Sometimes teams have a bad year but may just stay up but with 2 up 2 down its too cut throat and there may be yo yo ing between grades.

yes but it also makes it a bit easier to come back into the top flight the following year should they get relegated. And lalor and mernda were the top 2 sides this year (grand finalists).

yes but it also makes it a bit easier to come back into the top flight the following year should they get relegated. And lalor and mernda were the top 2 sides this year (grand finalists).
Mernda were the first team in a long long time to go down and straight back up. Doesnt just happen you need a lot of luck. Hard to condemn the second last team to 2nd division when history suggest (other than this year) that you cant come straight back up

Back