Ebay cricket balls

someblokecalleddave

Ebay cricket balls

Because I practice loads at Leg Spin on my own on a field I've found it beneficial to have loads of balls. So over the last year or so I've acquired 36 balls of different brands mainly through EBAY. My main concern has always been cost e.g. try and get something that's half decent for as little as possible moneywise. My first two purchases off of ebay were for 6 white balls and 6 red balls which worked out around about £3.00 each including postage from India. Since then I've bought Davidson balls and Slazenger balls from Sportsworld.

The thing is there's a world of difference between the first balls I bought (The brand name has now gone and the supplier I can't remember either) and the more recently bought balls.

I've noticed as I'm sure you have cricket balls come in all sorts of sizes despite having the same weight and being a spin bowler this causes me problems - smaller balls I find much easier to bowl with so if I use the small balls a lot I then screw up in matches where I'm then having to use a standard size ball because the grip is slightly different.

The more recent purchases have been Davidson balls which are all over ebay. My advice is be wary as these balls are the smaller type and they're dead hard. I know lots of bat manufacturers advise not using these balls on new bats especially because they are so hard. The other thing which is superficial to some extent is the glaze on the surface which is like a varnish cracks up and crazes. So if you are of the discerning type the Davidson balls are not an option.

The most recent balls were a load of Slazenger balls bought in a clearance sale at the end of the season from Sportsworld. These balls cost me £2.49 each and again they're small and hard. So if the size is an issue avoid these too and if you've got a nice new bat that's not knocked in 100% I'd advise against using these balls.

I'm gutted that I never see the brand that I bought in the first two batches, I've still got 10 of these balls from the original batch of 12 and they're so good and they're the real size and they were such good value.

Re: Ebay cricket balls

Some sound advice there, Dave. The best I can advise is to look for bargains from reputable sellers or end of season sales from the usual on-line retailers.

Realistically, a decent cricket ball (one that I would be happy to use in nets against new bats etc) is going to cost upwards of £7.50 per ball but if you just want something to chuck around on your own and practice with then there are plenty of options.

when buying off ebay by english brands and see what alse the seller is selling if its mainly cricket stuff there usayllu good , i just purchased 6 for £16 and they are all top qaulity.

I've just bought a set of 6 balls from Ebay purely for bowling practice. They were £15 plus £4.50 for P&P. Hopefully they'll be fine for bowling at a stump in the nets. They are stated as hand stitched and UK made so hopefully they'll be suitable. I'll let you know how I get on.

If anyone's interested the link for more of this type is http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-X-HAND-SEWN-GRADE-A-MATCH-QUALITY-5-5OZ-CRICKET-BALLS_W0QQitemZ330228225609QQihZ014QQcategoryZ72567QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Regards

James

as a captain i have a habit of keeping the old match balls! i have a little collection going! lol

Those balls you have ordered are good as i purchased some and recieved them yesturday.

i take it back , took the balls down the nets today adn it started craking ill post a pic later , the balls destroyed.

I have used many of these ebay balls, haven't found any that are any good. Surely there would be some decent quality ones made over in India that could be imported?

The problem is that they tend to use very cheap materials. We had a bad batch once, so had to cut a few open to check the guts, and it was pretty gross. Lot's of black dust floating around.

The amount of crap in the middle was disgusting, not to mention the smell it made as we cut it with the band saw. Instead of wool they used some kind of rubbery string, wrapped in leather (or similar), then a thicker rubber with bits of cork.

Well we used the Kookaburra balls here in Australia, they are excellent quality but way too expensive to be buying for training. They retail for $35 AUD which is about $30 USD, not sure what it is in pounds, guessing about 15.

I do some importing here and there, I may be speaking to some Indian suppliers to source a decent quality ball in the lower price bracket

They are out there, as a lot of places here will sell a decent ball (suitable for 40 over cricket) for about £7 -8. Still on the expensive side for practice but you have to pay a certain level to be sure of what you're getting.

i agree with Mas the league balls i use rrp at £35 but they are worth every penny.

if anyone starts bowling with a new ball or plastic or horrid hard balls i chuck em one of mine!

ive not understood the fascination of youngsters and getting new hard balls for nets! :cursing:

PICT0036.jpg

shame really.

Back