Eca 2012/13

The gradings are out for this season, what's everyone's thoughts?

Ashwood 1st XI down to B-Turf with Deepdene selecting to send their 2's up a grade to replace Ashwood.
"East Malvern Tooronga" in A-Turf.
D & E Turf now having full 12 team comps.

Probably the biggest talking point for me is Ashwood going down. With Rich Union and now Ashwood dropping their 1's to B-Turf, the ECA's idea of having a 2nd Division style comp in A-Turf is clearly out the window. I suspect that if more 2's sides were actually willing to go up, there would have been a few more volunteering to go down as well. With Rich Union failing even make the finals in the B-Turf last year, clearly a 2nd Div VAFA style comp will not work if the clubs in the bottom half of that 2nd Div comp are not going to be competitive.

The gradings are out for this season, what's everyone's thoughts?

Ashwood 1st XI down to B-Turf with Deepdene selecting to send their 2's up a grade to replace Ashwood.
"East Malvern Tooronga" in A-Turf.
D & E Turf now having full 12 team comps.

Probably the biggest talking point for me is Ashwood going down. With Rich Union and now Ashwood dropping their 1's to B-Turf, the ECA's idea of having a 2nd Division style comp in A-Turf is clearly out the window. I suspect that if more 2's sides were actually willing to go up, there would have been a few more volunteering to go down as well. With Rich Union failing even make the finals in the B-Turf last year, clearly a 2nd Div VAFA style comp will not work if the clubs in the bottom half of that 2nd Div comp are not going to be competitive.

Not sure if correct.

Sorry Kababs, I wasn't trying to imply anything. Not sure exactly how the process went, but your 2's have moved up.

Exactly how it happened wasn't really the point I was trying to make, but thank you for playing with semantics.

Having played against Richmond Union's firsts last season I'm not surprised they didn't play finals. They are a pox outfit and I can't see them going up any time soon!

Granted DBCC did win the B Turf flag last year, didn't they only just scrape into the finals? If DBCC did nominate to have their 2nds placed in A Turf, I think this is a bit premature just because they won both Dunstan & B Turf last year.

Their 2's will get smashed in the A-Turf, but good luck to them anyway.

Just seen that the ECA have regraded all of the bottom grades with the addition of a G-Turf competition!

Their 2's will get smashed in the A-Turf, but good luck to them anyway.

Just seen that the ECA have regraded all of the bottom grades with the addition of a G-Turf competition!
Yeah, I don't know about that. There seems to be a lot of Sunday home games, more than last year too. Will this drive players in the lower grades away?

Heard over coffee at lunch a current bluebagger who has been out of the blues side with a shoulder injury and now back in full flight may make a few cameo appearances at Zerbees over the middle of the season.

Heard over coffee at lunch a current bluebagger who has been out of the blues side with a shoulder injury and now back in full flight may make a few cameo appearances at Zerbees over the middle of the season.
I'd rather watch an ex cricketer play than a washed up AFL player

Max. Not sure Mark Murphy would agree he is washed up but depends which footy team you barrack for though I suspect most could give him a game. As a junior he was a fair player until football took over

Max. Not sure Mark Murphy would agree he is washed up but depends which footy team you barrack for though I suspect most could give him a game. As a junior he was a fair player until football took over

He was a lot better than "a fair player" as a junior. In fact, many might say that his playing football for Carlton is nothing but a waste of a good cricketer.

His brother was a talented junior and district cricketer but lacked the drive. He has been for a long time captain coach of a synthetic club in Glen Waverley, I think playing in the Southern Churches. Not sure if Mark played Dowling or just concentrated on his football. His old man played for 3 VFL clubs and Mark will be a one club player.

Has Spider really decided to only play lower grade turf for Mully? I hear he is President this year. Jarryd Bradley is playing for Ferntree Gully which is a surprise. Keep your ears open for an announcement of expansion of Premier cricket into Point Cook.

His brother was a talented junior and district cricketer but lacked the drive. He has been for a long time captain coach of a synthetic club in Glen Waverley, I think playing in the Southern Churches. Not sure if Mark played Dowling or just concentrated on his football. His old man played for 3 VFL clubs and Mark will be a one club player.

Marc Murphy played in a Premier 1's flag at University CC as a 17yo!

Are there any star Internationals coming over this year? Adam Dale is big for the comp, but what about Singh from Mully, or Lillee from MA - are they back? Any ins at Surrey?

Back