Ecb Announce A Reduction In T20 Fixtures

hattrick

The structure of the County Championship has been preserved at the expense of Twenty20 cricket, after the ECB's Management Board agreed to reduce the Friends Provident t20 competition from 16 pool matches a season to 10 in a bid to cut back on the amount of domestic cricket being played from 2012 onwards.
The move comes in response to an unprecedented number of fixtures in 2010, in which a 151-match Twenty20 competition struggled to retain spectator interest in the face of a difficult economic climate, and competing sporting interests such as the football World Cup.

I think the ECB has made the right decision. The previous seasons fixtures was nothing short of madness, ie. 161 T20 games in one season. The lack of supporter interest I think forced their hand but also I think the financial state the English game is in has contributed to the decision. I want to commend them for the decision it is the right one for all involved.. now can all the other boards please take note of this decision.

Geez 161 games is absolutely insane, from what I've seen of it on TV the crowds look pretty poor. In the Big Bash we only play each other once plus 2 finals, keeps the comp fresh and interesting. No doubt the idiots will probably expand it if they bring in this new city based franchise setup.

I an all honesty I think the ECB got greedy, very greedy and paid for it. @Kram81 in South Africa we do the same, one round of group games, best of 3 semi finals and then a one off final. The truth is that the crowd numbers are going for T20 as well here in South Africa. I dont know who said if here on BigCricket but we need less cricket not more ..
I am glad that you mention the city based concept because that has been getting a lot of press here along with other things.. it is the future.. I have that on good authority from a CSA board member here in South Africa.

I an all honesty I think the ECB got greedy, very greedy and paid for it. @Kram81 in South Africa we do the same, one round of group games, best of 3 semi finals and then a one off final. The truth is that the crowd numbers are going for T20 as well here in South Africa. I dont know who said if here on BigCricket but we need less cricket not more ..
I am glad that you mention the city based concept because that has been getting a lot of press here along with other things.. it is the future.. I have that on good authority from a CSA board member here in South Africa.
Do you know somewhere online where you can watch the SA T20 competition, 'cause I haven't found it yet.
And to reply on the post: I think city based is indeed better. Look at soccer. Not a single club is state or county based, and they seem to get lots of viewers and spectators.

Back