Editing

Ljp86

Staff member
Editing

This subject has come up before and I'd like to raise it again.

How come editing is restricted after a certain amount of time? I went back to edit a few things in a post of mine and found out I couldn't as the time quota had passed.

I think this needs to be changed. It would be great for being able to keep track of scores and stats over a period of time (this would prove handy for updating scores and results in tournaments over a period of time, i.e. Cricket World Cup next year)

So, I propose that it be changed, long-term edits would be a great addition to the site. Does anyone else have similar views?

Re: Editing

No because if you feel you have to change it after the time limit for editing then you shouldnt of posted it. It just confuses people full stop.

Ljp86;106520 said:
This subject has come up before and I'd like to raise it again.

How come editing is restricted after a certain amount of time? I went back to edit a few things in a post of mine and found out I couldn't as the time quota had passed.

I think this needs to be changed. It would be great for being able to keep track of scores and stats over a period of time (this would prove handy for updating scores and results in tournaments over a period of time, i.e. Cricket World Cup next year)

So, I propose that it be changed, long-term edits would be a great addition to the site. Does anyone else have similar views?

No. Long-term edits can create issues in threads, such as someone posting a controversial statement on a topic, seeing a negative backlash, then going back later to try and adjust the comment (or delete it entirely) so as to not have to take responsibility for their posts.

Posters need to be aware of the saying, "Think before you post." The time to think about it isn't 4 hours after it's been posted.

writered21;106554 said:
No. Long-term edits can create issues in threads, such as someone posting a controversial statement on a topic, seeing a negative backlash, then going back later to try and adjust the comment (or delete it entirely) so as to not have to take responsibility for their posts.

Posters need to be aware of the saying, "Think before you post." The time to think about it isn't 4 hours after it's been posted.

That isn't why I want editing although that would be handy though.

I'm talking about the updating of results/scores. For example, let's say I have an original post with all the fixtures for a tournament. As the tournament is played, with long-term edits, I can add results to the original post for all Zumper users to see.

Long-term editing has been on BigFooty for a long time and no-one that I know of would go back and delete whatever they have said. Posters aren't just going to delete their own opinion or whatever they stand for just because no-one likes it.

I can understand if posts start to get abusive or derogatory, those type of posts should be deleted.

I still think that long-term editing should be allowed on here. I don't see any reasons why it shouldn't. It is on other forums and doesn't create problems there.

I'd like to hear the views of the Administrators on this matter.

Could we change this? Went to improve a post about my favourite World Cup moments with some more information this arvo and now it's frozen. Seem pointless and if someone says something stupid and tries to change it 99% of the time it gets quoted by someone else calling them on it.

I'll have a look at it and see what we can do.

For the meantime, if you pm a mod or admin with changes they'll make them for you.

Another thing with series threads is being able to edit the squads in the first post as well, would be very handy

As for changing the post, well if someone has quoted the original then its all there for everyone to see

We have to cover ourselves legally, especially given the nature of some of the things that are posted on here. Sure, it's less of a problem in the international areas but the setting is forum wise, not board by board.

Not everything is quoted, likewise not every post is seen by a member of the mod/admin team the moment it's posted. If we leave the editing option open without limit then there is room for abuse.

I do understand your frustration but as I said, if there is something you really want to edit then a mod/admin will happily oblige for the time being.

Thanks Mas, if you're saying "I believe", who's at the top who definitely knows?

And on-topic, I agree that it would be nice to be able to edit them at a later date, but my reasons are probably a bit more trivial than the more important reasons that were outlined.

NOTE: I even edited this post, twice.

Well, I'm at the top but haven't had a chance to double check it. It'll either be 12/24 or 48 hours with my money being on 24.

Just a quick question on this, I notice on another site all edits are recorded, i as a poster can view each different post I have made and edits to it but clicking on the edited post under any edited post, I assume mods can see it as well, unsure, but is that possible with this forum?

It should be possible but I'll be honest and say I'm not sure whether that is something which is built into the software or added on afterwards.

Actually I just checked it out and it is already there, just not sure if an Admin can view those changes or not?

Have just checked the settings and at the moment the edit limit is 24 hours.

The history of post edits can only be checked if the 'Last edited ...' message is displayed at the bottom of the post. This was set to appear only after 15 minutes, so I've changed it to 3 now.

I don't agree with the long term editing for everyone.

Instead with the updating scores thing:
When a thread gets put up about a series, it would be good to have a table as the first post displaying the results/points or whatever deemed necessary. That way not only does the thread become a place to talk about what has happened, but also an instant source for information.

For example for the World Cup have the pools and their results, super 8, then finals and maybe a list of all the matches and their results with the scores beside them beneath. This first post is posted by an admin and as things happen that post is changed to keep up with what is happening. Maybe even the second post can be a scorecard of the last game that happened or something, and then the admin's opinion, as they are often the ones that offer the factual opinion as the game goes on.

This would save time and effort with posters looking back and forward through cricinfo or the CA website trying to find points, positions, scores, etc when all the info is right there and nobody can argue it.

Also when there is a lot of banter and you want to see the usually very good comment posted by the admin's take on the game then you have to go through gazillions of posts to find it.

Might be a bit too much to put in one post though.

I noticed that on the Wrist Spin thread there's one of those 'Link back' things. Who sets them up as I mention this forum in all of my Blogs and needless to say it does us both good to have the connections made?

Back