England appoint Saker as new bowling coach

mas cambios

England appoint Saker as new bowling coach

A bit of a surprise appointment and not one I would have personally gone for. However, in appointing David Saker England have made their choice and fulfilled a brief that sought no big names!

I can only guess that he interviewed well with his experience of managing the Victorian bowling attack playing in his favour. Also, I'm guessing that England will hope to use his knowledge of Australia for the small matter of an upcoming Ashes series.

All in all, I'm not for nor against the appointment at the moment and will give Saker time to bed in. Cooley was an equally anonymous call and looked where that led!

Re: England appoint Saker as new bowling coach

I agree with the shock but I am thinking also that maybe the fact that Saker was an assistant coach could have played in his favor. A holistic coach versus one focused one discipline.
Interestingly it continues the trend of appointing foreigners to be part of the English coaching structure. I am going to give Saker the benefit of the doubt for the moment.

You bring up the non English thing, something I was going to comment on but forgot. If the rumours coming out of the ECB were to be believed then they really wanted an English coach. Sadly, it seems that no-one fitted the bill which must post a concern or two. A lot of money is pumped into training coaches (at all levels) yet it seems something is going astray?

We don't fully know what their criteria was and I'm sure Flower had a strong vision of what he wanted in a coach. Hopefully Saker can come in and make an impact, if nothing else he'll bring a fresh perspective to things.

His biggest challenge will be to identify and nurture up and coming youngsters. It's been a bugbear of mine for a while that the bowling attack is samey and that we lack cohesion as a unit. Too many swing bowlers or up and down medium-fast pacers. The search has to be on for an out and out fast man who can spear head the attack.

Ive had him down to my local club, along with seeing him with the Vics, he will be an asset for the english. Especially, as you mention, with the upcoming ashes series here in Aus. Might not be a big name, but has done the job very well down here in Victoria.

A very good appointment, been involved in some succesful teams over the last few years and as assistant coach has seen Victoria develop a very strong group of bowlers

Don't like this appointment one little bit. It' the England team ffs, should be an English coach in charge.

Too many bloody forrins in the team as it is.

mas cambios;396442 said:
His biggest challenge will be to identify and nurture up and coming youngsters. It's been a bugbear of mine for a while that the bowling attack is samey and that we lack cohesion as a unit. Too many swing bowlers or up and down medium-fast pacers. The search has to be on for an out and out fast man who can spear head the attack.
That sort of job is right up his alley. Victoria's developed some good seamers and speedsters under his watch.

Back