FIA are a joke - F1 Championship rule change

Jonesy

FIA are a joke - F1 Championship rule change

Formula One racing’s governing body, the FIA, has approved a change to the points systems for this year’s drivers’ championship, which will see the title awarded to the driver with the most race wins. The rest of the standings, from second to last place, will be decided by the current points system.

If two or more drivers finish the season with the same number of wins, the title will be awarded to the driver with the most points, the allocation of points being based on the existing 10, 8, 6 etc. structure. The constructors’ championship is unaffected.

The FIA’s World Motor Sport Council accepted the proposal for the new system from Formula One Management at a meeting in Paris on Tuesday. An alternative proposal to change the points awarded to drivers finishing in first, second and third place to 12, 9 and 7 points respectively was rejected.

The Official Formula 1 Website

What have the FIA done!

This means that the most consistently good driver over the whole season won't always win. It basically rules out all point of having a second driver, and teams such as BMW, Brawn, Red Bull who have no clear, dominant 1st driver will struggle. This basically means the minnow teams like Toro Rosso have no point in the competition.

And why change it now? We've just had the two most gripping, exciting, thrilling finishes in Formula 1 over the past 2 seasons. Both coming down to last race and last year's even coming down to the last corner. Everyone remembers how thrilling that was, believing Massa had it in the bag, his team and family going wild after he won, only to realise that Hamilton had clawed back a position. With the new system, this won't happen, and the champion will likely be decided much earlier than usual. Booooooring. This just happens to be when BMW with Kubica really could of taken out the title out of left field. With this new system I can't see it happening now.

I was looking forward to the new F1 season, and now this. I CBF staying up until 4 in the morning to watch the races now when only P1 matters.

FFS!

Re: FIA are a joke - F1 Championship rule change

Wow, well thats a cock up. It means only Hamilton, Alonso, Raikkonen and co. will have a chance of winning.

Shocking rule change, just shocking.

Ecclestone needs to go. Way past it old man.

I hope they remove it before 2010, because it'll still ruin the whole thing.

Yeah heard about that on the news, that's just stupid.

One of the most ridiculous rules they have ever introduced.:mad:
Shelve it permanently FFS. As someone else mentioned, what hope do the minnow teams have, or more likely B-grade teams like BMW, Toro Rosso etc, ones just behind McLaren and Ferrari?
We want competition don't we?:rolleyes:

don't know why you discounted Brawn so fast, its a good car and will be able to compete,

COME ON BUTTON!

The scrapping of the rule should also allow teams to concentrate on both drivers, allowing competition to both drivers in each team.
You would imagine that if they designated the drivers' championship to the driver with the most wins, they would all concentrate solely on one driver.
To a large extent, it is nice to see drivers on an even playing field.
It will be intersting to see in particular which drivers will emerge as the better driver for this year once again, in particular in a team like Ferrari, who have allowed both their drivers a free reign for a large amount of the year, before "allowing" the better driver the better run at picking up the wins and podiums towards the end.

can't be arsed with an ICL in F1 though. spoils it, will bbc be stuck in a contract to show only the FIA teams so williams and can't remeber who else.

Gentleman this boils down to Money, Dough Moola.. whatever you want to call it. The Concorde agreement is the real problem and income distribution is only in favour of Bernie and Max.

I think a break away would be sweet.. ala Indy Car and Cart in the US.. they reality is simple the brands with history(an Italian brand, McClaren and the rest) is the reason why plebs enjoy this sport.. I think it is easier said than done and if FOTA can stay away from the courts and FIA sueing then this could walk.

I note with interest that Bernie has been quiet it has been Mosley doing all the talking ... I hope a compromise can be found..

This is great, although the FIA will back down in the end. I'd prefer them not to, I'd rather watch a sport with a completely bias governing body.

Wow, this is the real deal. Two different championships would have a detrimental effect on the sport and I don't think having two championships would be sustainable anyway.

The sport needs to get rid of Ecclestone and Mosley as they seem to be the root of the problem.

Back