Fielding Positions for Wrist Spin

someblokecalleddave

Fielding Positions for Wrist Spin

I'm a wrist spinner who primarily uses an attacking strategy on the Off-stump. I'm unusually accurate and have an average of 9.5, RPO of 5.09 and Strike rate of 13.8. At the moment my captain sets my fielding positions and I have no say in the matter at the moment as I lack experience and general cricket knowledge to make informed decisions. But I reckon that I could reduce my RPO enormously by having someone on the boundary behind the stumps because when I'm going through the porcess of sussing out whether the bat is any good on his legs by throwing some balls up the Leg-side or when I bowl wrong uns the wicket keepers often don't get across and I concede 4's from byes.

What's your suggestions for fielding placements for Leggies working primarily on the off-stump or perhaps is this primarily an issue of a lack of communication between me and the WK? Should I perhaps have some kind of discreet signal to show that I'm going to be putting a ball down that's going to end up on the legside?

Re: Fielding Positions for Wrist Spin

My field placement is:
  1. Slip
  2. Third Man
  3. Point or Backward Point
  4. Deep Cover
  5. Extra Cover
  6. Mid-off
  7. Mid-on
  8. Mid-wicket
  9. Square leg
The fielders position are changed in between depending on the batsmen at strike or as per game condition.
Do check and let me know if u have anyting to add.

Virender

byes wont have any effect on your RPO, Runs Per Over only includes runs scored off the bat, and doesnt include leg byes or byes, what you should be telling your captain is that, you throw up a few occaisionaly and you would feel more comfortable with a fine leg in, incase he sweeps. then once you have sussed out whether he is any good off hes legs, you can either move the fine leg, or adjust hes position accordingly

cheers and good luck
chris

Clint;359442 said:
byes wont have any effect on your RPO, Runs Per Over only includes runs scored off the bat, and doesnt include leg byes or byes, what you should be telling your captain is that, you throw up a few occaisionaly and you would feel more comfortable with a fine leg in, incase he sweeps. then once you have sussed out whether he is any good off hes legs, you can either move the fine leg, or adjust hes position accordingly

cheers and good luck
chris

Good point about the byes - cheers. Fine Leg sounds like a good idea, I'll see what happens in the next few games, although today the wicket keeper said that he knew from my wrist position whether I was bowing Off-spin and he dealt with it easily.

i captain my team and for the leggies i always like to have someone under the nose of the batsman as much as possible. but a bat-pad in and a leg side field and chuck everything out there and make them play all these leg side shots. every now and then bowl one not spinning too much down off like its an accident and let him hit you for four. look angry at that. do this for three overs, chucking a pie down off side every now and then, also dishing up pies to hit over mid wicket, then suddenly bowl a very good ball on the off side with you cover, mid off and slip and/or gully in as your off side field and hopefully you will get an edge or a mistimed drive as they try to put away the pie ball again. works for my off spin, how i get 50% of my wickets. thats how i set them for leggies as well when playing tactfully and have gotten quite a few wickets as a result.

dont trust me though... i have rarely bowled a leggie because none of them can get into the side with me already filling the spinning position :p

Shane Warne and Bryce Mcgain have both said, that setting a defensive field allows you to bowl attacking wheras setting an attacking field will make you bowl defensive as you are worried about accuracy and will try not to spin the ball as much

water_boy;360031 said:
Shane Warne and Bryce Mcgain have both said, that setting a defensive field allows you to bowl attacking wheras setting an attacking field will make you bowl defensive as you are worried about accuracy and will try not to spin the ball as much

but then you look at the fields Warne used to set and they were incredibly aggressive. sometimes 4 or 5 guys around the bat, and the number of bat pad catches and athletic slip and silly point catches people would take off of his bowling was insane. on the other hand, he had the accuracy and consistency to put the ball within a few inches of his target every ball. i reckon slip and silly point are fairly crucial catching positions though

also, what are peoples thoughts on encouraging the straight drive - everything i see or read suggests to put fielders in the mid-off to cover areas to prevent the drive going for runs. personally i think that leaving that area open and inviting the drive is going to give a far better chance to take a wicket, i want the batsman on the front foot driving me straight, or even better charging down the pitch at me!!

someblokecalleddave;359411 said:
I bowl wrong uns the wicket keepers often don't get across and I concede 4's from byes.

If your keeper can't pick your wrong uns, maybe try a small signal for it?

Jim2109;360102 said:
but then you look at the fields Warne used to set and they were incredibly aggressive. sometimes 4 or 5 guys around the bat, and the number of bat pad catches and athletic slip and silly point catches people would take off of his bowling was insane. on the other hand, he had the accuracy and consistency to put the ball within a few inches of his target every ball. i reckon slip and silly point are fairly crucial catching positions though

also, what are peoples thoughts on encouraging the straight drive - everything i see or read suggests to put fielders in the mid-off to cover areas to prevent the drive going for runs. personally i think that leaving that area open and inviting the drive is going to give a far better chance to take a wicket, i want the batsman on the front foot driving me straight, or even better charging down the pitch at me!!

They were both not talking about bowlers of first class standard. Warne can put the ball wherever he wants and still spin it a mile, wheras most other spinners have to lessen the spin a lot to bowl accurate or bowl wayward but with a lot of spin

leave a gap some where that you think will entice them to hit that way. where ever you want. if you want them driving straight because you think that the balls you are bowling will get them into trouble if they do, then do it.

water_boy;360169 said:
They were both not talking about bowlers of first class standard. Warne can put the ball wherever he wants and still spin it a mile, wheras most other spinners have to lessen the spin a lot to bowl accurate or bowl wayward but with a lot of spin

WB, say for instance you are accurate and you can pitch a ball on the off-stump again and again and turn it away from the bat, not massively but enough to get it past them most of the time, what would you do in that instance?

someblokecalleddave;360203 said:
WB, say for instance you are accurate and you can pitch a ball on the off-stump again and again and turn it away from the bat, not massively but enough to get it past them most of the time, what would you do in that instance?
You could set a fairly attacking field and maybe have someone in close under the lid of the batter. Also leave gaps for high risk shots, you could switch your line to middle instead of off and leave a gap at midwicket and see if he wants to swing across the line.

Back