Fielding Positions

mas cambios

Fielding Positions

For those new to the game, or just in need of a recap, the most common fielding positions!​

cricket-fielding-positions.gif

Re: Fielding Positions

I can never remember all of the fielders so might make this my background for comp and phone to try and remember.

Thanks A_A

Im with you Jaz, been playing this game 7 years, captained for 4 of them, and still never remember all the infield positions :)

Doesnt matter, i just usually said, "oi you, over there," "Here?," "No, move 3 steps right!,"

:D

Moving on and here is a quick breakdown of the different fielding zones and what is expected of each.

As you can see from the diagram at the top of this thread there are 3 basic fielding positions:

• Close Fielders
  • Middle Distance fielders
  • and Boundary fielders

1. Close fielders

These are the slips, gully, silly mid-off etc, and they stand stationary in a crouched position waiting for those short, sharp catches.

2. Middle Distance fielders

These are cover, point, square leg, mid wicket etc. They are about 20 meters from the batsman and walk in as the bowler runs up to bowl. Their duties are to prevent the batsman taking singles, to try to prevent the ball from getting past them and to take any catches which come their way as well as to effect run-outs.

3. Boundary fielders

These are fine leg, third man and all the deep fielding positions. These fielders also walk in as the bowler runs in to bowl and their duties are to prevent boundaries being scored, take high catches and also to restrict the batsmen to a single and not two runs.

Acrowaroz said:
Where Is Third Man?

Deep third man - just bring him in a bit!

:S
I once had an encyclopedia with all the positions, and I used to try and mug it up :p
Noone among my team uses Technical names for positions, just verbal instructions :)

Fly slip isnt a really well known position, but yes you're right it should be, but then again, that diagram is on the simpler side, theres atleast 5 more positions i can count for :p or maybe 4, im not sure! :lol:

yeah there are some missing form it but the basic ones are on it

i like being in close near the bat

Simbazz said:
Fly slip isnt a really well known position, but yes you're right it should be, but then again, that diagram is on the simpler side, theres atleast 5 more positions i can count for :p or maybe 4, im not sure! :lol:

Backward point, cow corner, sweeper on either side, extra cover

I find it interesting that these fielding maps are drawn both ways round - this one was obviously drawn/designed by someone who's primarily a batsman? I always draw/visualise these from the other end - it makes far more sense to me as I'm primarily a bowler - does anyone else agree with this?

someblokecalleddave said:
I find it interesting that these fielding maps are drawn both ways round - this one was obviously drawn/designed by someone who's primarily a batsman? I always draw/visualise these from the other end - it makes far more sense to me as I'm primarily a bowler - does anyone else agree with this?
Yeah, definitely. Any time I draw a field on paper the bowler is always 'south', so to speak. I think I'd find it hard to do it the other way around because as a batsman you'd be sideways in the field so the leg side is behind you. Maybe this is why I can't clear the field when batting - I can't keep the fielders positions in my head when I'm standing at that end of the pitch ;)

someblokecalleddave said:

I've never thought of it that way, but you have a point.

What are the missing positions you are talking about ? I can only think of 4th slip, leg gully, long leg, and fly slip.

Back