Finger Pain

jimmy33

Finger Pain

I did ask this in the Off spin thread but i decided i best put it here.

But ever since i started to bowl off spin i get a pain in my right index finger, mostly on the inside. I mostly feel it when i try to get my grip right but it often comes and goes. Are there any things i can do to prevent/fix the problem. Ive tried to ice it and it does help

Re: Finger Pain

A common problem James.

I have a client waiting at the moment but promise to get back to you later... sorry :(

Just out of interest what do you do? Are you a nutritionist or such? Or a cricket coach or what? I've never heard of a cricket coach with the internet there while they teach lol!

Jonesy said:
Just out of interest what do you do? Are you a nutritionist or such? Or a cricket coach or what? I've never heard of a cricket coach with the internet there while they teach lol!

You are going to wish you had not asked :D

I am a Strength and Conditioning Practitioner. OK, fancy title... doesn't mean much... ;)

I am, among many other things:
Level 3 Advanced Gym Instructor;
Level 3 Instructor - Training in Different Environments;
Level 3 Client Lifestyle and Fitness Assessor;
Personal Trainer;
Nutritionist;
Sports Therapist (also working on a diploma in Sports Massage);
BSc Psychology (used to be a psychological profiler);
BSc (Hons) Mathematical Sciences and Computer Sciences (which is useful with my qualifications in video/computer analysis along with my diplomas in Statistics, Computing and Science); and
I am an alternative Multi-Skills Coach, which includes Cricket, Rugby, Soccer, Track and Field etc.
Alternative? I coach through biomechanics and kinematics rather than demonstration.

Do you think I need to broaden by skills a bit? :laugh:

jimmy33 said:
I did ask this in the Off spin thread but i decided i best put it here.

But ever since i started to bowl off spin i get a pain in my right index finger, mostly on the inside. I mostly feel it when i try to get my grip right but it often comes and goes. Are there any things i can do to prevent/fix the problem. Ive tried to ice it and it does help

I do apologise, though I read every post on the Fitness and Nutrition Forum, I only dabble in the others.

I would love to be able to see your action but alas...

Analyse your action:
Are you spinning with your fingers?
If so, what role does the index finger play in it?
Are you consistent i.e. do you use your fingers/wrists in exactly the same way every time you bowl off spin?

Well my index finger is my main spinning finger and i have now started to be consistent, although i havent been bowling it for a long time. That is when im not bowling my variations

OK, good.

Basically, your index finger needs to work out ;)

You are asking it to do something it is not used to; you are asking for abnormal strength and flexibility.

Is this definitely a pain or an ache (as in DOMs).

If it is an ache, you can carry on:

Make sure the finger is really warm before you bowl. It is hard to do a finger warm up so I suggest a heating sports balm.

If your finger aches during bowling, heat it, not ice it. Ice it after you have bowled (not between spells).

If it is a pain [say] in your joints, or the finger is bruised, then please let me know.

If it is definitely a pain, then it sounds like you may have a bit of soft tissue injury. Perhaps a sprained ligament, especially as the pain is along the side of the finger and not at a joint. If that is the case, then the only thing you can do is rest and ice it.

However, you say the pain is not always there, which makes me think it is a lesser injury that you keep causing rather than a long term one. If this is the case, then your finger will eventually toughen up, but you must get somebody to check the finger's movements during the bowl to make sure you are not doing something biomechanically incorrect, thereby, cause long term problems.

Alright, thanks Liz. The strange thing is is that there is no pain when i bowl in matches, even if it had been hurting. I think my finger knows when to toughen up for good of the cause :laugh:

Liz Ward said:
You are going to wish you had not asked :D

I am a Strength and Conditioning Practitioner. OK, fancy title... doesn't mean much... ;)

I am, among many other things:
Level 3 Advanced Gym Instructor;
Level 3 Instructor - Training in Different Environments;
Level 3 Client Lifestyle and Fitness Assessor;
Personal Trainer;
Nutritionist;
Sports Therapist (also working on a diploma in Sports Massage);
BSc Psychology (used to be a psychological profiler);
BSc (Hons) Mathematical Sciences and Computer Sciences (which is useful with my qualifications in video/computer analysis along with my diplomas in Statistics, Computing and Science); and
I am an alternative Multi-Skills Coach, which includes Cricket, Rugby, Soccer, Track and Field etc.
Alternative? I coach through biomechanics and kinematics rather than demonstration.

Do you think I need to broaden by skills a bit? :laugh:
Wow Liz; Hat's off to u :)
We are lucky to have u in the forum.

Virendersingh.berthwal said:
Wow Liz; Hat's off to u :)
We are lucky to have u in the forum.

Thank you Virender, though I am the one so lucky to be involved with so many keen cricketers; you all give me such a buzz :D

Great Liz, I know it's a very old thread but never the less very much helpful. I have similar issue with my index finger. I use it mainly to spin just like Jimmy. This is the main figure that creates a spin. I am 36 years old and I have played a lot of cricket till I was 19 years and then stopped since I moved to USA for almost 15 years. Now I have started it again since last 2 years. First two years were great without any pain in the fingers but I did develop a knee issue that was diagnosed as an arthritis (MRI revealed) but that was when I started playing after 15 years and went away in few months. I also have very bad habit of popping fingers. Okay I think have provided my enough history. Lately my index figure started hurting in the middle joint when I bowl and after it. After 3-4 days of rest it kinds of goes away but again as soon as I bowl 2-3 overs it comes back. If I press on the sides or on top pain is very excruciating. It (the joint) sometimes even gets swollen a bit which gets noticeable. Can you please give me some advise what can I do to fix this?

Great Liz, I know it's a very old thread but never the less very much helpful. I have similar issue with my index finger. I use it mainly to spin just like Jimmy. This is the main figure that creates a spin. I am 36 years old and I have played a lot of cricket till I was 19 years and then stopped since I moved to USA for almost 15 years. Now I have started it again since last 2 years. First two years were great without any pain in the fingers but I did develop a knee issue that was diagnosed as an arthritis (MRI revealed) but that was when I started playing after 15 years and went away in few months. I also have very bad habit of popping fingers. Okay I think have provided my enough history. Lately my index figure started hurting in the middle joint when I bowl and after it. After 3-4 days of rest it kinds of goes away but again as soon as I bowl 2-3 overs it comes back. If I press on the sides or on top pain is very excruciating. It (the joint) sometimes even gets swollen a bit which gets noticeable. Can you please give me some advise what can I do to fix this?
Mate, keep an eye on this thread and check back regularly, Liz was last on line on the 18th. She does look in frequently, but she's a busy lady, but I'm pretty sure she'll respond to this as soon as she can. As a back up perhaps send her a private message as well?

I am just on my way back from a three week tour in the USA, where are you based? Weather was great but I hear I am coming back to a cold, wet London!

The knee condition is a little concerning, were you told what form of arthritis you were suffering?

Popping/cracking fingers can become an addiction... unfortunately, current research suggests that this practice damages the ligaments and, more unfortunately still, you need really good structure in this area if you wish to finger spin so your 'habit' has jeopardised your potential for finger spinning!

It is hard for me to say definitely without seeing you but try mobility, heating, massage before and during bowling. If you get inflammation in the joint, you need to stop immediately and use a cold compress.

Back