Finger Spin Bowling.

Mousey

Finger Spin Bowling.

I'm hoping to get a finger spinning thread going here. I want it to be like the Wrist Spinning one hopefully, but it's a long way off, it's a top thread. So anyone who can bowl some off-breaks and/or left arm orthodox spinners let's get some talk going. Yeah?

I'm a part time offie. I like to have a bowl, but I'm not the best spinner ever seen. I'm not a huge turner. Who else can bowl off spin?

Re: Finger Spin Bowling.

I can bowl off-breaks; although I have no idea if there any good, as I've never actually played in a team or bowled them on a non-spin friendly surface.

I can bowl a good ball the goes the other way, but sometimes it's considerabley slower. My problem is trying to bowl a top spinner, I know how to do it I just can't get my head, well hand, around it!

I don't really have any variations at this stage. I have tried the top-spinner a few times, but it usually comes out with a bit of side-spin. I really just concentrating on getting a good stock off-break at the moment.

I have a semi-decent LAO stock ball. It's nothing to write home about, but being a leftie it's useful - even if you're pedestrian bowler, LAO spin can be tricky when you mix it up with some pace variation and 'straight' balls.

If you're left-handed, I'd definitely recommend working on it even if you're not interested in being a bowler - it's a huge advantage to have in your arsenal. I'm a keeper but you'd be surprised how often a trundle for an over or two at the end of the day dislodges a tailender.

I love left arm orthodox bowling. I'm a right hander and can't bowl with my left, nor can I try with my dodgy left shoulder, but I love the way it ties people down.

On the topspinner, I also get too much side spin. I should probably still work on my stock ball as my length is going out the window during the off season.

Thanks Mousey for appreciating left arm spin....u can read my recent article in "Wrist Spin Bowling"...u will like it

Anyway my friend is an off spinner-----he has got good bounce of the wicket and gets a good amount of turn plus he can bowl a good (at times) leg spin as a variation and bowls a quicker one as well.

His only problem is control over the line other wise there is no batsmen who can dominate his bowling excluding me:D.

I can bowl a Right arm wrong un and a backward flipper that turns like an off break and is a forward spinning ball so dips and bounces up nice - but it's a bit ropey, but these are wrist spinner balls so I don't know if they count on this thread?

Good to see you trying to get an off-spinners thread going though well done - hope get the response and input.

Virender as I posted in the past there some decent videos by panesar on left arm orthodox spin on the telegraph site, look for cricket academy if i am not mistaken

someblokecalleddave;344041 said:
Good to see you trying to get an off-spinners thread going though well done - hope get the response and input.

Thanks mate. My goal is to make it as good as the wrist spinning one, but that's a long way off.

My arm ball used to be quite good but now I push it through too quickly, toppie is pretty good but I struggle with consistency for my offie. Some days I am bowling well and it comes out perfectly every ball, others I end up bowling darts most of the day or alot of top spinners

Main thing I have been taught that gets hard as the day goes on is a high release of the ball

Mousey, what you want to do is get a "top ten tips for finger spin" list going as soon as you can and use it as the opening line to one of your messages. For some reason when people do searches for things like 'Tips for finger spin' they might then get linked to your thread. Another thing is to post comments on you tube and invite people on their to join your thread but you have to mention the thread without using the www. bit so you write something like 'Join us over at bigcricket.com on the finger spin thread' and you'll get people joining in?

That's good thinking actually. It'll bring some people to BigCricket too.

With the "Top Ten Tips" it might be something we can work on here in the thread. I'm only a part-time offspinner so I'm not an expert on it. Any suggestions for a tip?

- High release?
- Vary your pace?
- Work on your stock ball first?

The all important step over with your dominant leg after you release the ball.

You'll just have to watch all the video clips you can - someone mentioned the Monty Panesar one on the Telegraph website and there's also the, Michael Freeman website and cloverdale videos which are good for finger spin techniques, but a lot of it will come from you as you're learning it and getting better.

I have a question for you offies here, We leggies look up to Warne as a rolemodel and many kids base their action on his action, Which offspinner currently or in the past do you's look up to in terms of action/skill/sucess? In my view i think the greatest "traditional offspinner" who i watched, and can still watch, in the IPL, is Saqlain Mushtaq the founder of the doosra and apparently a new delivery which is the offies flipper. Discuss please. i know this isin't really anything to do with the coaching section but discussing players actions/techniques can help in understanding your own action.

Back