First Match

Number 11

I've recently started bowling Leg spin. I gave it a bit of home practice before trying it out in the nets with good results. I could get turn, bounce, dip etc. which all troubled the batsman. My accuracy was a concern however and when I was getting tonked my bowling seemed to get worse. The captain has decided to throw me in at first change, with a newish ball because he wants one of our spinners at one end throughout the day. It's my first match situation and I'm wondering wether you guys have any tips for me.

if youre likely to get a few overs then the key is to build your innings. if you come on and get dispatched to all corners then chances are youll get taken off. but if you know youre due an extended spell then try to keep things accurate and tight early on. build some confidence and then look to expand. most importantly though dont be afraid of batsmen attacking you. if this happens then discuss your field settings with the captain and move fielders around so that attacking shots become high risk for the batsmen. youve then got good chances of getting them caught.

the first game as a leggie is always nerve racking. youve just got to relax and play your natural game. take your time between deliveries, especially if things arent going well. the tendancy is to rush and it just makes things worse.

good luck with it.

Ok cheers. I'll try it out. I've probably got at least 2 over as long as the wides stay down and that could increase to about 6.

Try only legbreaks. Concentrate. Pitch em up , nice and full. Aim for the line of the stumps (even to the left hander) as this gives a beginner legspinner biggest margin of error.and natural variation might see anything happen. Dont overthink it , it's not that hard.

Good luck mate and let us know how you get on.

If there is any common link between sports that focus on hitting a quickly moving ball i.e. baseball, cricket, tennis -- then the it is that the hardest delivery to judge is one that dips and curves down. Tennis players find a hard dipping top spinner to their feet hard to dig out, baseball batters (and even college and AAA players find it difficult) only make it to the big leagues after they learn to hit a curveball, and shamefully Australians just don't know how to bat against spin -- especially spin that drops! So focus on overspin (i.e. clarke when he walked past a dipping ball by swann in the last ashes series when he was on 125).

You can bowl flat in your next game because its up to your discretion, but the key is in the long term is to try and tie up batsman with deliveries that are also likely to get them out -- hence overspin, and drop, and hence generous flight.

I suggest more overspin, never be afraid to flight it, and even if you bowl a full toss it might drop on the batter leading to miscues.

Back