Fishy happy with start

FishyD

Today Fishy got what all managers hope for to start a season, a convincing victory with strong performances by key individuals. On a pitch that was playing very true for batsmen and allowed scoring SA's premier bowlers, captain Kitchin and all-round prodigy Ellis bowled exceptionally, restricting the flow of runs and increasing the fall of wickets, two things most experts agree are fairly important in being a good bowler.

Kitchin took the MoM on the back of masterful destruction of the GC order in the 2nd innings, and had a few words for the press. "Bowling is a team effort, it's not just me chucking down good balls, although that does come into it. Morgan was great in keeping the other end bottled up, and the fielders did a great job, taking the chances when they were offered." Jokingly he added, "This captaincy gig isn't too hard and it's good fun as a bowler, setting the fields you want to set."

Vice-captain Brad Painter also had a robust debut, coming out at first drop and showed the cricketing world what they could expect from him at that position, with counterattacking hitting in his 80 in the first innings and more mature steering of the side to the modest target in the fourth. Concerns exist for SA, notably the lack of depth in bowling. Outside of Ellis and Kitchin, the other two bowlers Ancona and Roede rarely threatened batsmen and didn't look like viable long-term options. The big disappointment of the game however, was the performance of the GC side, with their stars like Dey, Chapman and Wilson performing adequately but not spectacularly and little to no support coming from anywhere else in the line-up. Fans and pundits alike were positive about GC's prospects in the season, but this poor return will need to be reversed otherwise there will need to be calls for the axe to be swung readily by Kurpiel.

"I think Fishy hasn't gotten it into his head that he coaches East Freo yet!" said Ross-Naylor, taking Fishy's slips in referring to his team as "SA" in good humour.

"EF look like they have the makings of a very good side based on what we saw this week. I don't doubt we'll be seeing them in Premier division before too long."

Back