Ford Ranger One Day Cup - Western Australia vs Queensland at the WACA

Ljp86

Staff member
Ford Ranger One Day Cup - Western Australia vs Queensland at the WACA

What an unbelievable start to this game. Both teams stacked with current and former international players.

WA batted first and opened with Langer and Gilchrist who both went absolutely ballistic. Langer smashed 51 off just 30 balls with four 4's and four 6's. Definitely trying to send a message to selectors and his critics. He fell in the 10th over with Shaun Marsh coming in and scoring a more subdued 28 off 41.

Gilchrist powered on and is currently on 125 from 86 balls with 17 fours and 4 sixes. And his partner at the other end is none other than Michael Hussey who is 9 from 11 balls.

James Hopes has been carted everywhere 1/64 off 7 overs in fact all the bowlers except Watson have been very expensive. Only two bowlers are conceding less than six an over, Watson and Mitchell Johnson who has 1/41 off 7 overs.

Brilliant start from WA, they must be angry after losing outirght to Queensland in the 4-dayer.

WA are currently 2/216 after 28 overs.

WA: BR Dorey, AC Gilchrist, WS Gillies, AK Heal, GB Hogg, MEK Hussey, JL Langer, SJ Magoffin, SE Marsh, MJ North, AC Voges, DJ Wates

Qld: AJ Bichel, CD Hartley, ML Hayden, JR Hopes, MG Johnson, JP Maher, CT Perren, CA Philipson, C Simpson, A Symonds, SR Watson

Re: Ford Ranger One Day Cup - Western Australia vs Queensland at the WACA

Gilchrist and Hussey now both out, score at 4/228.

North on 5, Voges on 0. James Hopes has 3/71 off 9 overs.

I'd expect WA to score about 350 now. These two should be able to keep the run-rate up and we all know that Voges is very capable of slogging.

shane watson has gone to have a scan on his hamstring hes in a bit of trouble i think !

Yeah, Shane Watson limped off the ground after bowling one ball of the his 6th over. It appears to be a hamstring injury and will put him in serious doubt for the first test.

Back to the game and WA scored 6/340 off their 50 overs. Marcus North scored 61 from 62 balls with Adam Voges the other major contributer with 29.

Brad Hogg had a little cameo at the end with 6 off 2.

Bowling wasn't much chop. Bichel, Johnson and Simpson all took one wicket each but all were very expensive. Symonds went for 67 off 7 overs. James Hopes picked up 3/74 off his 10, a good comeback after being carted heavily early on.

The chase will be one to watch.

That's a fair score. Queensland fell short with 259 - big win for WA.

i watched WA bat and all i can say is wow! what a display by gilchrist. i think he ended with 136 off of only 95 balls!

unfortunately the bulls lost, and i knew things were bad when Hayden went out for only 16 runs. terrible luck for watson.

Good to see Gilchrist and Langer in some form.

good to see gilly hit something before the start of the first test, do you think his knock has the poms worried?

Was lucky enough to be at the whole game and what can I say other than Gilchrists innings was one of the best knocks I have ever seen at the WACA. Every shot he played was timed to perfection and he didn't look to attack everything the bowlers could come up with instead putting away the bad balls.

Was the best I have seen Gilly bat since his amazing innings in South Africa all those years ago.

Back