Funny Things On The Cricket Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neville Young

I guess we've all had moments on the ground that at the time was funny or even a bit bizarre, but they remain with us and still bring a smile.
These two stories come from my first year of playing with adults in the senior team. My very first game we arrived at our ground. There was a man on the middle of the pitch flying a model plane. Dave our elderly wicket keeper wanted to put in the stumps. He asks the man if he can move to another area of the park so we can get started setting up for our game. The man with the plane tells Dave that he was there first and that he isn’t finished flying his plane and we can go find another place to play. Dave tries to walk out to the pitch to talk to him but is dive bombed by the plane and hits the dirt. Dave returns to the cricket bag and picks up a stump and walks out towards the pitch again. This time when he is dive bombed he holds up the stump. The wire from the plane hits the stump and the plane crashes into the ground flying into pieces. The now angry man starts yelling threats at Dave using language that I had never heard before. Dave pointed the stump towards the man and explained that there are 5 more stumps in the bag and then describes how he will use them. The man picked up his plane parts and left.

The second story was the last game before Christmas and I was about to turn 15. We were playing on a ground next to a local school. We were fielding and had been playing for about an hour when a helicopter was noticed flying towards our ground. This was most unusual, at that time I had only seen one flying once before. The helicopter hovered above our ground and began descending. Everyone on the ground scattered and the helicopter landed half way between the pitch and the boundary. Out of the helicopter got Santa in suit and beard with his bag of toys over his shoulder. The helicopter took off. Onto the ground streamed hundreds of people. The school was having a Christmas fete and Santa was the star guest. He walked from the ground over to the school surrounded by hundreds of noisy kids. We watched them leave and turned around to restart the game only to discover a pram parked right in the middle of the pitch. When we went over, there was a baby in the pram. As we turned to look at where the crowd had headed a women was running towards us. She very sheepishly wheeled the pram away without a word.

I would have thought that most people would have something to add here, after all, we do play for fun.
At Box Hill one day one of my team mates hit a huge 6, as he ran down towards the bowlers end where a mutual friend was the bowler, he cheerfully told him he owed him 35 cents. When the bowler asked why? He was told that nothing went that far without a stamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back