gd at right bad at left

legspinking

gd at right bad at left

it the net i was langing perfect leggies land ing where i wanted the but a leftie came in and i was really bad plz help

Re: gd at right bad at left

its the age old problem for leg spinners, where to pitch the ball to a leftie?

they tend to be pretty good off their legs, its just the nature of facing predominantly right handed bowlers. so you have to find a balance between not too wide outside off stump that they can go after you, and not too close to the stumps that the ball turns to the legside and is easily brushed off the pads.

personally i look to pitch the ball well up under their nose, about a foot outside off stump, and encourage them to come forwards. set your field based on the batsman and their favoured areas and just try to close off the area from backward point to cover as that is where the easier runs will come from if you stray too far outside off stump. then you also want to cover the square leg region to restrict them scoring off balls that turn in lots towards their leg side.

then just plug away aiming to hit their off stump with every ball with a fair bit of overspin (e.g. pitch outside off with turn and bounce). thats my method anyway, sometimes it works, sometimes it gets smashed around the park. lefties are just tricky to bowl at for a leg spinner.

also, it can prove beneficial to come around the wicket from the outset. that way you make sure you are bowling across the batsman, so you can pitch it wider of off stump and still get it to come in at the stumps. you also close off the batsmans stance and make it harder for them to judge where their stumps are, and harder to get their head over the ball, as well as restricting their ability to play straight. its hard enough to play shots when the ball is dead straight, so when its turning off the pitch and drifting and the batsman cant get their eyes over the ball they will often end up swinging at thin air. and then edges and bowled come into play.

you just have to be smarter than against right handers. the stock leg break is perfectly designed to bowl at right handers all day long and cause problems. left hand batsmen tend to vary a great deal in their approach, and the leg break is a less idea weapon in the first place. so you have to devise plans.

Yeah they have been my nemesis too, last year if it hadn't been for a couple of lefties I'd have had the best figures at our club by a long way! This year I'm a lot better and last Sunday I bowled against a No.3 who was a Leftie. I think the most important thing is to be watching them when the others are bowling at them or maybe ask your captain or one of the more experienced bowlers in team and figure out where his weakness is. Or you bowl both lines leg-side and off-side and use either side of the stump to bowl from coming in wide and tight on the stumps. I did this Sunday and the Leftie got the right ache with me bowling over for one or two balls and then round for one or two again - changing side 3 times in an over till I figured him out. This bloke was weak on his Leg Side so I was putting the ball into Middle and leg and turning it away from his legs. If you've got a Wrong un or if I had my wrong un working I'd have taken the same line and turned it into the stumps and bowled slightly wider. Having a straight ball and a wrong un is the Key to bowling Lefties I reckon and sussing out their weak areas as with all batsmen. Being able to bowl into their weak area with accuracy is key.

someblokecalleddave;399756 said:
Yeah they have been my nemesis too, last year if it hadn't been for a couple of lefties I'd have had the best figures at our club by a long way! This year I'm a lot better and last Sunday I bowled against a No.3 who was a Leftie. I think the most important thing is to be watching them when the others are bowling at them or maybe ask your captain or one of the more experienced bowlers in team and figure out where his weakness is. Or you bowl both lines leg-side and off-side and use either side of the stump to bowl from coming in wide and tight on the stumps. I did this Sunday and the Leftie got the right ache with me bowling over for one or two balls and then round for one or two again - changing side 3 times in an over till I figured him out. This bloke was weak on his Leg Side so I was putting the ball into Middle and leg and turning it away from his legs. If you've got a Wrong un or if I had my wrong un working I'd have taken the same line and turned it into the stumps and bowled slightly wider. Having a straight ball and a wrong un is the Key to bowling Lefties I reckon and sussing out their weak areas as with all batsmen. Being able to bowl into their weak area with accuracy is key.

at club level, where youre bowling 3-10 overs in a match, and thus dont really have time to formulate proper plans, switching things around can actually work quite well as a containment tactic.

if youve got a batsman that just seems strong everywhere, and you dont really know what to do, then provided you have the consistency, you can just switch from over to around the wicket every other ball. also vary the pace between really fast and really slow, and everything in between. it will drive a batsman nuts, which is great, because you want him swinging at stuff hard in anger!!

its a developing T20 tactic at international level, even with pace bowlers. they just mix it up as much as they can to provoke mistakes from over-aggressive batsmen (which every one in T20 is!).

you basically just dont let the batsman get settled at all. and whilst the chances of taking a skill wicket (e.g. bowled, edged or LBW) are somewhat reduced because youre kind of bowling at random (unless youre really clever about it), the chances of a batting error are high. and sensible batsmen will realise this and tend to go into their shell a bit. if they come at you then you stand a good chance of getting them out caught somewhere, or stumped.

i havent seen as many of the Australian matches in the current T20 world cup as i would have liked to. ive seen young Smith play a couple of games though. to the uninitiated public it can look like hes just not bowling that well. he turns the ball big all the time, but batsmen seem to thrive on the width this gives them. however when you think about it from a leg spinners perspective you assume that the cogs are whirring around in his mind, and that he is purposely searching for his wickets caught in the deep. its as if he is a little naive and lacks the guile of a more experienced leggie in bowling controlling lines and building pressure, and instead favours the aggressive test match bowling style, and just relies on his talent to force a batting error. which i think is great and very refreshing in T20. but hes close to the line at times, the difference between taking 3 or 4 wickets, or ending up 4-0-50-0 is pretty finely balanced.

legspinking;399749 said:
it the net i was langing perfect leggies land ing where i wanted the but a leftie came in and i was really bad plz help

You may have been bowling the wrong line, in general you want your legbreak outside his off stump well pitched up.

Practise bowling at left handed type targets to move your line over. Devote a certain amount of time thinking of bowling at lefthanders as well as right handers.

My young bloke has a running duel going with a rep left handed player at indoors. They always bowl my son when the leftie bats. He got him with a topspinner last week. Here we are on the way to the game getting ready for the lefthander YouTube - for the goofyfooter.wmv

macca;399786 said:
You may have been bowling the wrong line, in general you want your legbreak outside his off stump well pitched up.

Practise bowling at left handed type targets to move your line over. Devote a certain amount of time thinking of bowling at lefthanders as well as right handers.

My young bloke has a running duel going with a rep left handed player at indoors. They always bowl my son when the leftie bats. He got him with a topspinner last week. Here we are on the way to the game getting ready for the lefthander YouTube - for the goofyfooter.wmv

I like the use of the surfing term there Macca!

Back