General Chat 14/15

Can you provide more background to this question?

I understand there's a discussion surrounding the role of 3rd & 4th XI Premier Competition in the restructure debate. Not something I had raised above though.
APW have a very stong 1st XI, and were two wins away from winning senior Div. Yes they may have overarcheived, but they are a strong 1st XI team.

They struggle to put a 2nd XI side on the park. Under your proposal they can recruit their way into Premier, and not have enough players for a 2nd XI.

Forget about promotion into Premier from the 5 zones, will not and cannot happen. Just because you win top grade in your zone, the Premier club or clubs from your area may make finals/win the Premier flag and they won't get relegated. You also won't get 5 premier clubs getting relegated every season to allow 5 zone winners to go up. Very likely that Premier 3's and 4's will be dispensed with and Premier clubs will be able to top up out of the 5 zones or country leagues. Some Premier clubs already have forged alliances with local clubs (eg Prahran/Malvern/East Malvern Tooronga) so that is a good indicator as to how things might look down the track.

APW have a very stong 1st XI, and were two wins away from winning senior Div. Yes they may have overarcheived, but they are a strong 1st XI team.

They struggle to put a 2nd XI side on the park. Under your proposal they can recruit their way into Premier, and not have enough players for a 2nd XI.
Nice sledge there ??? Overachieved !!! I don't think so
Issues with guys committing to 2nds cricket yes but that will change this season be warned !!!

Nice sledge there ??? Overachieved !!! I don't think so
Issues with guys committing to 2nds cricket yes but that will change this season be warned !!!
Overachieved might not have been the right word, but on paper you clearly didnt have the 4th best side, yet as a team deserved to play finals. Just an opinion.

Good to hear you will get a 2nds side this year, although most strong clubs can get 5 sides and run a vibrant juniors program.

Forget about promotion into Premier from the 5 zones, will not and cannot happen. Just because you win top grade in your zone, the Premier club or clubs from your area may make finals/win the Premier flag and they won't get relegated. You also won't get 5 premier clubs getting relegated every season to allow 5 zone winners to go up. Very likely that Premier 3's and 4's will be dispensed with and Premier clubs will be able to top up out of the 5 zones or country leagues. Some Premier clubs already have forged alliances with local clubs (eg Prahran/Malvern/East Malvern Tooronga) so that is a good indicator as to how things might look down the track.

Tend to agree with this.
Having Promotion and Relegation from Premier, sort of defeats the purpose of having regional pathways. It is up to the Premier clubs to utilise the clubs in their region. If a club wanted to justify why it should be included in the Premier comp they can do that - but they would want sustained and sustainable success, with a good club set-up as backup for their application

dont forget the DDCA clubs as well Mordialloc have been in the top division for years in that comp and Parkdale have recruited really well. I have played at both kingston and parkdale and no offense to kingston but i dont think they would get close and mordialloc is a division above parkdale... be interesting to see what comes of it all.
Interesting call. Parkdale hardly ripping up DDCA. One of Mordialloc's best players was taken to the cleaners the last time he played against Kingston.

Interesting call. Parkdale hardly ripping up DDCA. One of Mordialloc's best players was taken to the cleaners the last time he played against Kingston.

Hope no offense was taken mate was just my opinion... You guys are a ripping bunch of blokes and I understand last year was a really tough year. The practice match will be a gauge as to where each other are at.

Last edited:
Hope no offense was taken mate was just my opinion... You guys are a ripping bunch of blokes and I understand last year was a really tough year. The practice match will be a gauge as to where each other are at.
No offence taken, just need to look at things in more than 1 year lots as teams can struggle at any certain point. All about perception, obviously Van Dort will make a huge difference, however, its more about building a sustainable difference.

Not sure why you couldn't find them, a quick MyCricket search later and I found them in Nth B2?
So they are playing against other clubs seconds. Why is that? East Keilor won 4 games last season, finished above Maribyrnong Park & Pascoe Vale who only won one game each & now they play their seconds.

Any word of any player movements or new players to the comp?
I've been informed the Footscray United coach is a quality player and should dominate.

Any word of any player movements or new players to the comp?
I've been informed the Footscray United coach is a quality player and should dominate.
Yeah the Footscray United bloke is a good get for them. will give much needed boost to their ones in West A.
Whats new in St Albans? who's is this new bloke you speak of? any other new recruits there?

Back