Getting that extra length

Timed Out

Getting that extra length

When i bowl i can hit the line fine but i find i drag the ball short, im a medium getting onto fast bowler and im 15 years old. Im about 5ft 7 and bowl straight on. Any tips or drills so i dont drag it short?

Re: Getting that extra length

Well... practise would be great... if you were practising the correct technique ;)

I would need to see your action before I could suggest anything. There are many reasons why this would cause you difficulty Will. For instance, let us just go back to leggeb4's ruler:

http://www.simplycricket.net/muscles-and-bowling-fast-t415.0.html

Imagine you are holding a 30cm ruler off the edge of a 'flat' table in front of you. Approximately 4/5cm will be held on to the table with the fingers of one hand. Now, imagine the missile on the other end of the ruler... you pull the ruler down, acting as a spring, and let go. The missile should not only travel fast [class-three lever :D] but high and so... far.

Now, imagine placing that ruler on a surface that slopes away from you. What do you think will happen to the missile?

Now imagine that the portion of the ruler that remains static, the bit that your fingers are holding on to, are your shoulders during the loading phase. If your shoulders remain parallel to the ground [ruler scenario 1], it will make a huge difference compared to lowering your front shoulder [ruler scenario 2].

However, if you do keep your shoulders 'straight', the problem may be that you let go of the ball a tad too late.

If not, it may be your run up or the chain involved with the planting of your front foot.

There is a theory that if you just practise with a target, you will eventually hit it. Do feel free to try this, it will work... eventually. Personally, I find this too precarious an exercise and would rather shorten the effort and therefore results, by tackling this more scientifically :D

If you have access to a coach, ask them to analyse your movements and isolate your weak link, then work on it.

Re: Getting that extra length

Timed Out said:
When i bowl i can hit the line fine but i find i drag the ball short, im a medium getting onto fast bowler and im 15 years old. Im about 5ft 7 and bowl straight on. Any tips or drills so i dont drag it short?

A video of your action would be more helpful, but I am 90% sure that your problem is a lack of chest drive.

Without breaking rhythm of course, you should be running in faster and, all in all, carrying more momentum into the jump. The chest needs to be driven forward at delivery and a lot of momentum and a nice long stride is needed to do this. A natural length should be a good length and that is the sign when you have the right momentum of chest drive.

Another problem may be the front arm. Make sure it does not drop too quickly. It should fully extend toward the batsman. To paraphrase quote Shoaib Akhtar: "Imagine grabbing the batsman's collar and renching it toward you". Keep the front arm high and you won't drag it down short. Bracewell's fast bowling formula states for maximum pace, when your front foot lands, both your arms should be in a straight line, perpendicular to your body, I can guarantee that it is not the case with you.

As well as the front arm, also make sure that your upper body does not fall away in the action either.

Good luck modifying your action :)

Back