Gym For Cricket

Good point, well made!

Imagine how great Cozzie would be/have been with more structured S&C!
More like ANY s&c lol.

The bloke must be so lazy, he definitely would have had a realistic shot at playing Test cricket for Australia if he got his act together. I mean seriously.. not saying that batsman have to be built like a super athlete and I know some people struggle naturally with their weight but he is obese, obviously hasn't even tried... surely you would hire a nutritionist and a personal trainer or something to try and get into some sort of semi decent shape.

Hypertrophy is trained with high resistance/low reps.
Training with lower resistance/high reps trains muscle endurance.

However, sport specific is little about resistance and more about the patterns of movement.

I am so confused now. A few posts back i showed u an eg. of what i do (deadlifts etc.) with high weight/low reps so u reckon i should ditch that? Can u direct me to where i can get a good workout for a batsman?

In my profession [being tightly regulated] I only give S&C advice if I come across anything that may cause injury. I could not tell you to 'ditch' or keep your programme without seeing, testing and assessing you... nor could I give you a programme without seeing, testing and assessing you. Unfortunately, I do not know your body type, medical history, injury history, mechanics, alignment etc.

There is not anything wrong with the bodybuilding exercises you are doing... they are just not wholly functional. Nor is there anything wrong with powerlifting. There are many cricketers who powerlift as a sport and have a good cricketing career, as does Brian on here. However, my base is always with weightlifting moving on to more specific movements. It really is worth investing in a session or two with an S&C and get an individual programme written for you!

There are a few guys in this business [to be counted on one hand!] in whom I have total confidence. Ian Pont being one but two of the others are Steff Jones and Ross Dewar. In a [very] happy coincidence, they come together as 'Cricket Strength'! Take a look at their profiles: http://cricketstrength.com/about/

Contact them on the above site and Ross should be able to help get you travelling in the right direction. Make an investment in your own futures now and you will never regret it!

Let us know how you get on.

This is a top discussion. We actually talked on the podcast about how deep you need to go into the fitness hole before it loses it's effectiveness. Have a listen if audio is your thing: http://www.pitchvision.com/cricket-show-301

There is also a huge amout on fitness on PVA. Here is a place to start: http://www.pitchvision.com/the-complete-guide-to-cricket-fitness/ I recommend the first three parts for a primer.

Most people can't get access to a proper trainer, so it pays to learn a little about fitness to understand the basics.

I'd say squats and deadlifts, chin ups, rows, pressing and some core work are a simple, effective way for non-experts to improve cricket fitness.

Back