Gymtimidation: How to join a gym to improve your cricket

micoach

Gymtimidation: How to join a gym to improve your cricket

You won’t find a professional cricketer these days avoiding the gym. It’s become part of the first class game as much as having a net. Yet many amateur players still avoid the weight room.

Thousands of studies into every sport have shown that strong fit players are better players. Plus you get the added benefits of looking great on the beach. So why is there so much reluctance?

I think it’s an image problem.

When you think of a gym what do you imagine? Oiled up muscle men grunting and high fiving each other? Svelte athletic gym instructors laughing when you can’t do 500 one handed press ups?

Everyone strong. You weak?

It’s perfectly natural to get this feeling of intimidation when you head for a weight room. It’s also 100% a false impression. I have worked in gyms and I know the truth: People are never as strong or advanced as they first seem.

Use this strayegy to find a cricket friendly gym without feeling like the newbie:

• Pick your targets. Start by researching local gyms online. Find a gym that is near enough and the right price range. I have a gym at the end of my road and one in the office I work at. No excuses.
  • Talk to the instructors. When you visit the gym, take the official sales tour but also take the time to chat to an instructor. Can they do you a program for your cricket needs? Does it fit in with the 10 pillars of cricket training? What sort of feedback and support do they offer?
  • Go at busy times. It’s important to visit the gym before you join during times you know you will go. If it’s too busy you won’t want to go because you spend more time waiting than improving your game.
  • Look for free weights. Free weights (not machines) are pretty much vital for cricket fitness training in a gym. Look to see how much space is dedicated to the barbells and dumbbells. Ask if the instructors are trained to coach free weights with safety.
  • Talk to the members. While you are taking the tour also speak to some people in the gym. Find out if they are a friendly bunch with similar aims to you or people likely to cause you grief. Don’t be afraid to walk if the perfect gym has rude and selfish members.
  • Look at the safety. Look around for equipment that is out of order and make sure you check the changing rooms. If the place is dirty and unsafe steer clear, but that doesn’t mean avoid a gym if it is a bit rough round the edges. Many excellent independent gyms run on a shoestring.

If you do these things, you will very rarely look or feel bad when you are in the gym. After a few weeks you will know if it’s the place for you.

Stick with it and you will also start to notice better fitness on the pitch and more luck with the opposite sex due to your sexy new body.

Now if that’s not a reason to bite the bullet and join a gym I don’t know what is.

Re: Gymtimidation: How to join a gym to improve your cricket

Good read there, although I still get put off going to the gym.

Bad experiences in the past although I do want to find a reasonable one to help me carry on my fitness plan during the dark evenings.

Thanks so much for this information. It rings home for me. I'm 42 yrs old, and in my 20s I was a semi-professional cricketer in Australia. I moved to the USA and spent the last 15 or so years not playing cricket, putting on weight, and pretty much resenting myself. About 3 months ago I bumped into a guy at my local bank who told me that there was a local cricket league here (I'm in Arizona) that played regularly and was made up by ex-patriots from different countries around the world - from India to the West Indies, England, Australia, NZ, etc. Anyway I got asked to play.

That was my wake up call. Not only did I injure my back doing it, I realized just how unfit I was and realized that I had to do something about it. I went to a chiropractor to fix my back pain, and he referred me to a physical trainer, and I've been training with them in the gym ever since. I'm far from being 'in form' but I've noticed that the weight training is incredible for building up stamina.

My trainers are very 'scientific' with their approach. They started with me by building up stability first. Then they moved onto power training and finally they have told me that I will move to a performance training regime that will get me back to some level of form. Although they were not that aware of cricket they have successfully trained baseball players, and I brought in some DVDs of bowling action, etc. so that they could get an idea of my goals and its worked out great.

The weight training not only is protecting me from injuries, but its also allowing me to spend my time in the field with less physical torment. I'm still not throwing as far as I need to, and I'm certainly not as fast in sprints for the ball in the field as I would like to be. But I'm hoping that over the next 6 months I can not only lose about 50 pounds of weight, but gain muscle and endurance so I can return to enjoying my cricket rather than spending 2 days afterwards in pain and agony from the day's play on the weekends.

Myles

David -you make some good points there. I used to go to a local gym which at first suited my needs but after a job change I found that I was stuck attending it in the bust times and it became a reason not to go.

If I decide to jpin another I'll bear your comments about free weights in mind - tbh I've always been a bit worried about using them, too many people telling me how hard they are to use properly.

Not too hard.

All good gyms offer an introduction to all new members and the opportunity to have a programme written for them by one of their trainers. If you need help ask, they should be more than happy to demonstrate and correct your technique.

If they don't. Find one that does.

Free weight training is functional unlike resistance machines; they're worth the effort.

MylesW said:
My trainers are very 'scientific' with their approach. They started with me by building up stability first. Then they moved onto power training and finally they have told me that I will move to a performance training regime that will get me back to some level of form. Although they were not that aware of cricket they have successfully trained baseball players, and I brought in some DVDs of bowling action, etc. so that they could get an idea of my goals and its worked out great.

The weight training not only is protecting me from injuries, but its also allowing me to spend my time in the field with less physical torment. I'm still not throwing as far as I need to, and I'm certainly not as fast in sprints for the ball in the field as I would like to be. But I'm hoping that over the next 6 months I can not only lose about 50 pounds of weight, but gain muscle and endurance so I can return to enjoying my cricket rather than spending 2 days afterwards in pain and agony from the day's play on the weekends.

Myles

Great story Myles! It sounds like your trainers are really progressive. How many instructors would ask for videos of bowling to see what movements you are performing?!

swghayward79 said:
If I decide to jpin another I'll bear your comments about free weights in mind - tbh I've always been a bit worried about using them, too many people telling me how hard they are to use properly.

Liz is right. Basic technique on several key movements can be learned in less than a session.

More complex moves can take longer but you can learn them as you go with a good instructor.

Almost_Austwick said:
Good read there, although I still get put off going to the gym.

Bad experiences in the past although I do want to find a reasonable one to help me carry on my fitness plan during the dark evenings.

There is always the option of a few sessions with a personal trainer to get back into it.

What was the experience if you don't mind me asking?

Harrowdrive said:
There is always the option of a few sessions with a personal trainer to get back into it.

What was the experience if you don't mind me asking?

It was mainly due to an undercurrent of steroid pushing which was overlooked by the staff. 'Senior' gym members from a particular clique would try to entice new members to get involved with it, those that refused were made to feel very unwelcome.

:eek:

I am very passionate about what I do and shocked that this sort of thing still goes on.

All I can say is, I am glad I have not come across it. Fortunately, I work in gyms with serious/elite athletes who have more sense.

Don't let this put you off, most are very welcoming and professional.

That is a bad gym. I have never worked in a place like that and the main one I go to would never consider such a thing.

Give it another go somewhere else I reckon.

Deep down I know that I was just unlucky but it does stick in the back of your mind. I'm pretty anti steroid (except for genuine medical needs) and quite frankly it appalled me.

One day I'll venture back but I'll need to be 100% convinced that's it the right place for me (the tips will be a big help).

I think I'll stick to places that seem 101% above board and do my research as suggested above. Ask a few members, visit a few times and just choose with care.

No guarantees that it will work work but I do have a lot more choice than before.

Let us know how you get on AA. The more gym goers the better in my book!

The gym is ok but it can get a bit boring. I like running out in the open, as there is bit more going on around me and stuff to take my mind off the running.

Saying that the gym is good when its cold or wet. Think the key is finding a nice, smallish, local gym as opposed to the massive gym chains but they all have there place.

It is a very lucky sports person indeed who gets David as their personal trainer.

However, I know where you are coming from Stan, I am an outdoor person too and prefer to train in different environments. I load up my backpack with parachutes, exercise bands, inflatable agility discs, speed ropes, break-away belts etc and take a client or two to the local woods for two hours. You have seen the sort of [internal] muscle loading exercises I use; there are many more.

I also like to use sprint sleds and kettle bells outside too.

Notwithstanding, gyms can hold huge benefits, especially if you get the right trainer. Try to find one with a Sports Conditioner :D

Back