Has anybody got any tips on accuracy for leg spinners?

conor

Has anybody got any tips on accuracy for leg spinners?

I was just having a bowl and the leg spinners were going all over the place!, has anybody got any tips to improve my accuracy? help please

Re: Has anybody got any tips on accuracy for leg spinners?

conor;391368 said:
I was just having a bowl and the leg spinners were going all over the place!, has anybody got any tips to improve my accuracy? help please

Conor, have you read any books on the subject or had any coaching at all? If not, there's one thing that you have to do over and above everything else and that's practice, practice, practice and then practice some more and then just when you think you might be able to cut yourself some slack you have to realise that you still need to practice an awful lot more. That's without taking into consideration that there may be a load of technical stuff you might be getting wrong that's affecting your accuracy. So the first question is....... How many hours a day are you practicing at the moment and how long have you been bowling Leg Spin?

Place some targets on the pitch and try and hit them. You can use chalk or a rag etc. At first I reckon you should put them on the stumps and about 3 yards from batting crease. That gives you the biggest margin of error by trying to land on a centre line from middle stump to middle stump. However you need to be able to bowl off stump and leg stump lines as well eventually. More targets.

I think the most fundamental thing when it comes to accuracy is concentration. Philpott had a good section on this in his book. I generally find it useful to figure out what I'm going to bowl, then just make small movements with my lower right arm while concentrating on the ball, with my head towards my target, and then run/jog in, keeping the focus on the target. I find that it helps eliminate thoughts other than what and where you're going to bowl (and generally I don't consciously think, "I am going to bowl there," during my run-up either, just focus on the spot), with focus on the where being especially significant, given that that focus is what can help keep your head and shoulders steady in order to bowl at wherever you wish. That's just what works for me, though. Philpott, for example, preferred to draw imaginary lines along the pitch, say, from the off and middle stumps, and set out to bowl within those lines, and says that Lillee used the stumps for a target, and others simply bowled to the wicket-keeper. What is important is not so much what the target is as that there is a target. If it's going off down the leg-side rather than where you want it to, it's probably because you were aiming there.

That said, technical problems are also possible. It would also be advisable to practice without a batsman most of the time, if you do not already do this.

Don't forget to work on dip/flight. Put a chair or hurdle on the pitch and work on getting the ball to dip just after it. Contol of flight is a serious weapon and one that will bring wickets.

conor;391368 said:

I've just looked at this again and it sounds like you're a dabbler rather than a comitted Leg-spinner? Do you bowl seam up as well as Leg-spin?

you could not be more wrong dave!. whilst he may dabble on here he bowls leg spin almost every day. i should know i am his dad lol!

we have just moved from tarmac to a synthetic wicket a couple of weeks ago. we have found a place with a nearly new track no nets up yet !

he got over the googly syndrome and he can now spin it both ways. its just the accuracy now as his post alludes to.

. he was bowling from a shorter distance 12 yards no run up on thursday and he had it spinning like a top. from 21 yards with a run up nowt!

tomorrow i think i will get him to bowl from a shorter distance and take it from there try and build his confidence up

probably something to do with his positioning etc on release?

strof;395906 said:
you could not be more wrong dave!. whilst he may dabble on here he bowls leg spin almost every day. i should know i am his dad lol!

we have just moved from tarmac to a synthetic wicket a couple of weeks ago. we have found a place with a nearly new track no nets up yet !

he got over the googly syndrome and he can now spin it both ways. its just the accuracy now as his post alludes to.

. he was bowling from a shorter distance 12 yards no run up on thursday and he had it spinning like a top. from 21 yards with a run up nowt!

tomorrow i think i will get him to bowl from a shorter distance and take it from there try and build his confidence up

Sounds like he is getting there. I hope strof jnr is bowling at targets at least once a week. It is a lot easier to spin it big both ways over half distance of course. Underarm over shorter distance is good practise as well.

You need full size pitch to work on accuaracy, shorter distances are good to work on increasing revs and developing the variations.

strof;395906 said:

theres a massive difference between bowling over half distance and over full distance, with regads speed and timing. it takes a lot more effort to propel the ball the full distance, and everything has to be faster.

it is very easy however to increase the arm speed and effort by a lot more relative to the rest of the body. it is important that everything increases proportionately. otherwise the end result is not enough flight (or sometimes too much), bad seam positioning, poor accuracy, etc, or any combination of the above.

the single most damaging aspect being the lack of timing between all of the different stages of delivery, which are carried out by different parts of the body.

essentially my own action starts out with the front foot, trasnfers up my body to my leading arm. once the leading arm is in position then the trailing shoulder takes over, followed by the arm and upper body in unison, and then the trailing leg completes the action, as do the arms in the follow through. if i try to exert too much effort then my trailing (bowling) arm gets involved too soon resulting in poor seam position, less revs on the ball, and a lack of control over flight, line and length. which sounds like it is possibly what is happening here?

the easiest solution is to not bowl from half distance (most people will physically stand halfway down the wicket to do this). but instead, bowl from the bowling crease, but move the stumps closer. do this without a runup, and bowl until you are landing it well over, say, 12 yards. this is really easy to do for most people. if its not really easy then there is plenty of work still to be done on the basic action.

then increase the distance by about 4 yards at a time, never moving further until you have got control at the shorter distance. eventually youll get to 22 yards, then add in the run up. but youve got to identify the problems at every stage, find the solution, and then its likely those same problems will arise as you increase distance. and if you already know what the problems are and how to fix them, its very easy.

jumping up to 22 yards too early means that you are clutching at straws. and without slow motion video or a VERY attentive eye (youd need some amazing vision to see it as well!) youll struggle to find solutions. it can be almost impossible, even with video, to see exactly where the seam is when the ball lands. as a bowler its impossible to watch the ball out of the hand, the earliest moment you can really see it is about halfway down the wicket, and by then its far enough away to make it hard to see with the naked eye given the speed and revs potentially on the ball. having an assistant to watch the ball out of the hand can prove very useful. also, adding overspin to the deliveries gives better consistency in turn as there is a larger seam area presented to the pitch, so more margin for error.

thanks for the replies guys. we will give it another go this afternoon

strof;395906 said:

That's good to hear. Depending on how old he is, he may only have to bowl 20 yards maximum anyway? Yeah there's a number of ways of getting there in the end. Macca and Jim advocate spinning the ball hard all the times and working gradually towards your correct length. Philpott advises the same thing.

I have a slightly different approach - yeah, spin the ball, but maybe don't get too bogged down in the need to be make it turn at right angles to the pitch every time it lands. That perhaps should be your ultimate goal, but I'd say that if you're getting the ball to turn off the wicket enough to find the edge of the bat when the batsman is playing a drive or forward defensive block you're doing enough. I think people can get too tied up in trying to get the ball to turn like Shane Warne every time they're bowling?

I think you need to get a grip established where the ball does turn and feels comfortable and then work with that. As Macca says put a target down, I used a bit of hardboard that was about 3' long and 9'' wide and practiced getting the ball on that. Because of the length it made me focus on the need to bowl a decent line more than the length. I added the length aspect later. But I feel that getting the line sorted is important because anything that goes leg-side is likely to be put away for 4 when you're starting out.

someblokecalleddave;395928 said:
That's good to hear. Depending on how old he is, he may only have to bowl 20 yards maximum anyway? Yeah there's a number of ways of getting there in the end. Macca and Jim advocate spinning the ball hard all the times and working gradually towards your correct length. Philpott advises the same thing.

I have a slightly different approach - yeah, spin the ball, but maybe don't get too bogged down in the need to be make it turn at right angles to the pitch every time it lands. That perhaps should be your ultimate goal, but I'd say that if you're getting the ball to turn off the wicket enough to find the edge of the bat when the batsman is playing a drive or forward defensive block you're doing enough. I think people can get too tied up in trying to get the ball to turn like Shane Warne every time they're bowling?

I think you need to get a grip established where the ball does turn and feels comfortable and then work with that. As Macca says put a target down, I used a bit of hardboard that was about 3' long and 9'' wide and practiced getting the ball on that. Because of the length it made me focus on the need to bowl a decent line more than the length. I added the length aspect later. But I feel that getting the line sorted is important because anything that goes leg-side is likely to be put away for 4 when you're starting out.

i wouldnt say that my current mentality is to ALWAYS turn the ball huge. but when practicing, this is always my goal. its an impossible goal, but a necessary one.

if i have such control that i can turn the ball massively every delivery and still maintain accuracy, then its easy to turn the ball less with equal (or more) accuracy. add into the equation the fact that natural variation will mean that only maybe 1 in 10 will ever turn huge anyway, and it just makes life easier.

i practice to turn the ball massively. but the majority of the time that doesnt happen. i literally always get some amount of deviation, sometimes it might be less than an inch, other times it might be 5 feet. generally its around 1-2 feet which is more than enough.

if you dont spin the ball hard though (irrespective of what it does off the pitch) then you have to spend time adding that aspect later. as a beginner i just think its easier (in the long run) to learn to spin the ball first, and then hone your accuracy as you go along. thats my approach, but there is certainly more than one way to skin a rabbit.

one other thing to bear in mind is that a hard spun ball, even if the seam is awful and it never turns off the pitch, will still always do something in flight!! it doesnt take any turn whatsoever to undo a batsman. in fact, the majority find flight much harder to deal with anyway. variation in flight is the difference between a good spinner and an excellent one IMO.

I've just read a post by Liz Ward elsewhere and I think I'm coming round to your viewpoint, e.g. if you can spin the ball hard, don't discard that aspect, look at other areas that may be affecting your accuracy.

someblokecalleddave;395974 said:
I've just read a post by Liz Ward elsewhere and I think I'm coming round to your viewpoint, e.g. if you can spin the ball hard, don't discard that aspect, look at other areas that may be affecting your accuracy.

When you bowl, and when you throw -- velocity has nothing to do with your arm strength. In baseball, arm flexibility is one facet of speed -- but you hopefully don't have too much arm flexibility when you bowl in cricket (i.e. cheating).

Rather most of it comes from the sequence of muscles you use that lead up to the movement of your arm.

My point? Velocity not only means speed of the ball going from bowler to batsman, but also off-side to on-side. Mechanics is CRUCIAL to direction -- alongside what happens with your fingers and your wrist. When it comes to direction, or lack there of, it almost always has to do with your body -- rather than your spinning hand. From that context I really identified with the thread title of "line and length without spin".

Some advice? Experiment for yourself -- you are the best judge of your own body. But some tips!

Really think about your thighs, your hips, and your shoulders.

Align your hips and shoulders at ball release -- but make sure before and after ball release they have largely different alignments. Watch Warne at different stages of his career -- the ball of the century to gatting had his hips and shoulders parallel to the ground at ball release.... the ball of the century to Strauss had his hips at 45 degrees and so too his shoulders.

Your thighs give you power. Studies suggest that power is developed by the initiating, stretching, exertion of force (whatever you want to call it) of your large muscles (thighs.... chest.. shoulders) then your medium sized muscles (bicep etc.) then your small muscles like those in your fingers. Yet I emphasize the thighs because their use seems counter-intuitive to propelling objects with your arms. Really think about power positions.... where your thighs are pointing towards when you want to bowl fast, when you want to smash a ball for six, when you want to do something really powerful.... where do your thighs move towards. You always hear about transference of weight when commentators talk about beautiful cover drives -- think about how your thighs can move to create this transference.

Good luck -- and may you always remember that spin bowling isn't called a craft for no reason.

doctortran;396026 said:
When you bowl, and when you throw -- velocity has nothing to do with your arm strength. In baseball, arm flexibility is one facet of speed -- but you hopefully don't have too much arm flexibility when you bowl in cricket (i.e. cheating).

Rather most of it comes from the sequence of muscles you use that lead up to the movement of your arm.

My point? Velocity not only means speed of the ball going from bowler to batsman, but also off-side to on-side. Mechanics is CRUCIAL to direction -- alongside what happens with your fingers and your wrist. When it comes to direction, or lack there of, it almost always has to do with your body -- rather than your spinning hand. From that context I really identified with the thread title of "line and length without spin".

Some advice? Experiment for yourself -- you are the best judge of your own body. But some tips!

Really think about your thighs, your hips, and your shoulders.

Align your hips and shoulders at ball release -- but make sure before and after ball release they have largely different alignments. Watch Warne at different stages of his career -- the ball of the century to gatting had his hips and shoulders parallel to the ground at ball release.... the ball of the century to Strauss had his hips at 45 degrees and so too his shoulders.

Your thighs give you power. Studies suggest that power is developed by the initiating, stretching, exertion of force (whatever you want to call it) of your large muscles (thighs.... chest.. shoulders) then your medium sized muscles (bicep etc.) then your small muscles like those in your fingers. Yet I emphasize the thighs because their use seems counter-intuitive to propelling objects with your arms. Really think about power positions.... where your thighs are pointing towards when you want to bowl fast, when you want to smash a ball for six, when you want to do something really powerful.... where do your thighs move towards. You always hear about transference of weight when commentators talk about beautiful cover drives -- think about how your thighs can move to create this transference.

Good luck -- and may you always remember that spin bowling isn't called a craft for no reason.

Have a look at the video clips of my bowling on youtube, see what you reckon YouTube - Someblokecalleddave leg breaks rotational analysis slow motion.avi In support of what you're saying here, all my physical problems at the minute stem from problems with my calf muscles, leading to problems with my heels (Similar to Plantar Faciitis). I'm currently working on my rotation and will be uploading more recent clips so that people can comment on what I'm doing wrong.

someblokecalleddave;396027 said:
Have a look at the video clips of my bowling on youtube, see what you reckon YouTube - Someblokecalleddave leg breaks rotational analysis slow motion.avi In support of what you're saying here, all my physical problems at the minute stem from problems with my calf muscles, leading to problems with my heels (Similar to Plantar Faciitis). I'm currently working on my rotation and will be uploading more recent clips so that people can comment on what I'm doing wrong.

Again I don't mean to impose a law for bowling leg spin, so take up what you will.

Is the pain in your right leg or your left leg? or both?

First things first -- your leg pain. What can we do to lessen the pain -- what could cause pain from your mechanics.

Pause your video at 0:14. Look at your right knee pushing up from the ground -- it is bent. Now imagine sprinting 100 metres with your legs pushing off the ground with bent knees. *pain*. Definitely straighten out that leg and fully extend from it -- it will give you more power in your delivery and it might even help with your leg problems.

Then watch from 0:14 to 0:19 specifically looking at your front foot (left leg). You pivot a lot. That could cause pain in your feet and as your feet are connected to your calves -- perhaps some referred pain? Perhaps that is inevitable for a leg spinner. But perhaps the most worrying thing is at 0:19 -- just look at the position of your left leg. Your leg is about 11 o'clock to the ground. Instead of forces acting with the ground going straight up and down -- now they have a horizontal component which can cause shear (fancy for horizontal) stress and strain. The word "shear" in itself is scary.

How do we fix this though? I think pivot less. Not only will this help you keep your legs more healthy, and probably your back too, but it may well help your bowling. In that split second between 0:16 and 0:17 your entire body points from straight to the batsman and then to... wait for it..... point! Perhaps we should reduce it to pointing to first slip.

Some final pointers: hip and waist alignment -- pretty good. Definitely room for improvement -- more leg drive UP could improve it or having your shoulders more horizontal at ball release might cause improvements. Of course your leg drive is dependent on your legs so I suppose that is a valid reason. Your non-bowling arm as I commented on for Jim's bowling is pretty vital. I think you are using it -- but perhaps start it from your right hip and then down your left side. Just like when you burn more calories when you power your arms, the further your arms have to move, the further your upper body has to flex or extend which means more energy burned, more power exerted, and faster and big rips of the ball.

Also I think it would be a good idea to have some sort of concept of relaxation with regards mechanics. Studies suggest that many sportsmen and women apply relaxation before force exertion between their different phases of movement. For example in running, you should try to push off the ground so your foot is as vertical as possible, and in mid-air you relax so that it is parallel to the ground -- relaxation before force exertion. For bowlers, especially spin bowlers this relaxation point should be just before you take off. Really try to exert less force on the ground, sort of try to feel lighter with your knees before you go into delivery stride. Watch Warnie and his sort of idiosyncratic bounce in his delivery stride -- he sort of walks in... then drops a little then goes up in the air to bowl. That drop is his knees loosening and relaxing under the weight of his body -- try it.. it may help your bowling and your injury.

doctortran;396058 said:
Again I don't mean to impose a law for bowling leg spin, so take up what you will.

Is the pain in your right leg or your left leg? or both?

First things first -- your leg pain. What can we do to lessen the pain -- what could cause pain from your mechanics.

Pause your video at 0:14. Look at your right knee pushing up from the ground -- it is bent. Now imagine sprinting 100 metres with your legs pushing off the ground with bent knees. *pain*. Definitely straighten out that leg and fully extend from it -- it will give you more power in your delivery and it might even help with your leg problems.

Then watch from 0:14 to 0:19 specifically looking at your front foot (left leg). You pivot a lot. That could cause pain in your feet and as your feet are connected to your calves -- perhaps some referred pain? Perhaps that is inevitable for a leg spinner. But perhaps the most worrying thing is at 0:19 -- just look at the position of your left leg. Your leg is about 11 o'clock to the ground. Instead of forces acting with the ground going straight up and down -- now they have a horizontal component which can cause shear (fancy for horizontal) stress and strain. The word "shear" in itself is scary.

How do we fix this though? I think pivot less. Not only will this help you keep your legs more healthy, and probably your back too, but it may well help your bowling. In that split second between 0:16 and 0:17 your entire body points from straight to the batsman and then to... wait for it..... point! Perhaps we should reduce it to pointing to first slip.

Some final pointers: hip and waist alignment -- pretty good. Definitely room for improvement -- more leg drive UP could improve it or having your shoulders more horizontal at ball release might cause improvements. Of course your leg drive is dependent on your legs so I suppose that is a valid reason. Your non-bowling arm as I commented on for Jim's bowling is pretty vital. I think you are using it -- but perhaps start it from your right hip and then down your left side. Just like when you burn more calories when you power your arms, the further your arms have to move, the further your upper body has to flex or extend which means more energy burned, more power exerted, and faster and big rips of the ball.

Also I think it would be a good idea to have some sort of concept of relaxation with regards mechanics. Studies suggest that many sportsmen and women apply relaxation before force exertion between their different phases of movement. For example in running, you should try to push off the ground so your foot is as vertical as possible, and in mid-air you relax so that it is parallel to the ground -- relaxation before force exertion. For bowlers, especially spin bowlers this relaxation point should be just before you take off. Really try to exert less force on the ground, sort of try to feel lighter with your knees before you go into delivery stride. Watch Warnie and his sort of idiosyncratic bounce in his delivery stride -- he sort of walks in... then drops a little then goes up in the air to bowl. That drop is his knees loosening and relaxing under the weight of his body -- try it.. it may help your bowling and your injury.

The right leg is fine. The problem is with the left leg. I'm aware of the over-rotation and I'm currently working on it and I think I've rectified it to some extent, although I'm possibly still going round too much still? I've noticed in the last few days with an enormous increase in bowling activity running up to the new season I'm a lot more accurate - could this be down to the reduction in the rotation I wonder?

I would like to say that a lessening of rotation of the left leg is the reason for your improved accuracy. Unfortunately, I couldn't be sure without looking at your new action.

However, suffice for me to say that it sounds like your new-found accuracy could have been caused by at least two things. The lessening of rotation in your left leg could be one reason, or adaptation through practice the other reason. We often underestimate our abilities to improve ourselves despite what other people think would make our bowling easier. It may just be that your body adapted to bowling, to understanding what your brain is telling it to do, more efficiently and more effectively. You might have worked out, subconsciously or consciously, a way to bowl accurately better than any of us.

I think its a mixture of both of those two things -- don't you just love spin bowling?

someblokecalleddave;396164 said:
The right leg is fine. The problem is with the left leg. I'm aware of the over-rotation and I'm currently working on it and I think I've rectified it to some extent, although I'm possibly still going round too much still? I've noticed in the last few days with an enormous increase in bowling activity running up to the new season I'm a lot more accurate - could this be down to the reduction in the rotation I wonder?

It may help you to revisit YouTube - Cloverdale Cricket Masterclass Spin Bowling tips 1 Dave. This time, ignore TJ's discussion on wrist action and concentrate on the bowler's posture, particularly they way he goes up on, almost, points to rotate.

Back