Has anybody got any tips on accuracy for leg spinners?

Re: Has anybody got any tips on accuracy for leg spinners?

Liz Ward;396335 said:
It may help you to revisit YouTube - Cloverdale Cricket Masterclass Spin Bowling tips 1 Dave. This time, ignore TJ's discussion on wrist action and concentrate on the bowler's posture, particularly they way he goes up on, almost, points to rotate.

The Stuart McGill footage at the end of each of the Jenner bits? I don't get what you're specifically directing me to look at Liz?

I'm bowling so well at the minute that I may get the camera out and film a few overs, something's changed, not sure what - but it may well be the rotation? I'll try and shoot it from behind and above and from behind the stumps as well?

conor;391368 said:
I was just having a bowl and the leg spinners were going all over the place!, has anybody got any tips to improve my accuracy? help please

I had this problem last year with also lack of action on the ball. I found getting a piece of sample carpet was effective and trying to hit this. I recorded down where my balls landed each time and saw the areas I needed to improve. For technique just look online and in books and try to apply the skills talked about. Try to bowl in overs to get into a rhythm that would be similar to a game. It has worked well and i have seen steady improvement over the last year and after my winter nets managed to take 5-14 in my first game for my county age group this year.

rorymathews;396789 said:
I had this problem last year with also lack of action on the ball. I found getting a piece of sample carpet was effective and trying to hit this. I recorded down where my balls landed each time and saw the areas I needed to improve. For technique just look online and in books and try to apply the skills talked about. Try to bowl in overs to get into a rhythm that would be similar to a game. It has worked well and i have seen steady improvement over the last year and after my winter nets managed to take 5-14 in my first game for my county age group this year.

Yeah carpet offcuts are good because they dont blow away. 5/14, like to hear more about that spell.

On accuracy, Grimmett never ended his daily session until he landed the ball on a 10 inch square 6 balls in a row! I dont think kumble or mc grath or anyone else could do that.

Though I'm not really one to advertise, I've done a couple of post on accuracy for spinners in my blog. So far, have covered accuacy (spot bowling) and working on flight/loop/dip. Thursday will see an idea for working/measuring spin.

Together they should give most spinners a reasonable work out.

Check it out at Crictips.com – cricket coaching, advice and tips

macca;396797 said:
Yeah carpet offcuts are good because they dont blow away. 5/14, like to hear more about that spell.

On accuracy, Grimmett never ended his daily session until he landed the ball on a 10 inch square 6 balls in a row! I dont think kumble or mc grath or anyone else could do that.

I think that this target is a good way of ending a session, after you feel as though you have had enough practice try and hit the carpet 3 times out of 6 and then if you can manage to work this up to 5 balls an over you should be able to build up a lot of pressure.

The spell was in 6 overs and the game had reached a bit of stagnation with only a couple more proper batsmen left to come in. I got my first bowled around the legs after he had missed a sweep the previous ball. The next was a rank long hop that bowled the unfortunate batter first ball! I then conventionally bowled the next 2 before getting a stumping for my 5th. All of this happened within 6 overs!

rorymathews;396834 said:
I think that this target is a good way of ending a session, after you feel as though you have had enough practice try and hit the carpet 3 times out of 6 and then if you can manage to work this up to 5 balls an over you should be able to build up a lot of pressure.

The spell was in 6 overs and the game had reached a bit of stagnation with only a couple more proper batsmen left to come in. I got my first bowled around the legs after he had missed a sweep the previous ball. The next was a rank long hop that bowled the unfortunate batter first ball! I then conventionally bowled the next 2 before getting a stumping for my 5th. All of this happened within 6 overs!

Grimmetts objectives are exceptionally difficult to achieve but having said that I hit a another cricket ball placed as a target on off-stump 3 times today within about 12 balls, I was gutted that I didn't have a camera recording it!

someblokecalleddave;397036 said:
Grimmetts objectives are exceptionally difficult to achieve but having said that I hit a another cricket ball placed as a target on off-stump 3 times today within about 12 balls, I was gutted that I didn't have a camera recording it!

This is our target, just a piece of vinyl.YouTube - target practise.wmv

macca;397040 said:
This is our target, just a piece of vinyl.YouTube - target practise.wmv

I cuts out just as it's about to hit it! The other thing I use is the bright orange lids off of Lucozade bottles, I hit them as well a few times during a practice over an hour or so and they're small. I've chucked out some rubber mats from the foot wells in the car today and I'll be trying one of those out - they're a bit more realistic 12"" x 18"" I reckon.

someblokecalleddave;397044 said:
I cuts out just as it's about to hit it! The other thing I use is the bright orange lids off of Lucozade bottles, I hit them as well a few times during a practice over an hour or so and they're small. I've chucked out some rubber mats from the foot wells in the car today and I'll be trying one of those out - they're a bit more realistic 12"" x 18"" I reckon.

I dont think it did hit. Just thereabouts. Thats about 8 foot from the batting crease which works out mostly ok against u/13 bats.

strof;395906 said:
you could not be more wrong dave!. whilst he may dabble on here he bowls leg spin almost every day. i should know i am his dad lol!

we have just moved from tarmac to a synthetic wicket a couple of weeks ago. we have found a place with a nearly new track no nets up yet !

he got over the googly syndrome and he can now spin it both ways. its just the accuracy now as his post alludes to.

. he was bowling from a shorter distance 12 yards no run up on thursday and he had it spinning like a top. from 21 yards with a run up nowt!

tomorrow i think i will get him to bowl from a shorter distance and take it from there try and build his confidence up

probably something to do with his positioning etc on release?

young strof aka conor has been practising leg spin in the nets and we used the advice on here such as putting chairs on the pitch to develop flight etc . he has had 8 games this year but bowling slow with the odd off spinner thrown in.
he has a game tonight for the u15s and he reckons he is going to bowl leggies for the first time in a game. his accuracy has got a lot better recently. so heres hoping.
a by product of him losing his googly seems to be the emergence of a kind of top spinner which suprised the hell out of me when a ball hit me on the chin while keeping for him( i was stood up not crouched)
i or preferably him will let you know how it goes
thanks again for all the advice

strof;399603 said:
young strof aka conor has been practising leg spin in the nets and we used the advice on here such as putting chairs on the pitch to develop flight etc . he has had 8 games this year but bowling slow with the odd off spinner thrown in.
he has a game tonight for the u15s and he reckons he is going to bowl leggies for the first time in a game. his accuracy has got a lot better recently. so heres hoping.
a by product of him losing his googly seems to be the emergence of a kind of top spinner which suprised the hell out of me when a ball hit me on the chin while keeping for him( i was stood up not crouched)
i or preferably him will let you know how it goes
thanks again for all the advice

How did it go? My lads did well in their U11 game with their bowling I haven't had time yet to blog it yet,

someblokecalleddave;399609 said:
How did it go? My lads did well in their U11 game with their bowling I haven't had time yet to blog it yet,

hi dave match starts at 6 pm uk time this evening ( this time zone thing on here really confuses me too!)

he has been playing u13 s 15s 18s seconds and one game for the first this year and is primarily a batsman but as you lot on here know he has been practising leg breaks for a while now.

he has only ever bowled leggies in the nets so we will have to see how it goes tonight. ironically he was bowled by a leg break bowler in his last match for 23.
like i say he has lost the googly for the most part and when he tries to bowl it the ball comes straight on with extra bounce in the nets anyway!! so we assumed through reading the stuff on here and the wrist position being halfway between the googly and leg break that he has found some top spin.
do you reckon this might be a good ball to bowl first up to give the batsman something to think about?

strof;399620 said:
hi dave match starts at 6 pm uk time this evening ( this time zone thing on here really confuses me too!)

he has been playing u13 s 15s 18s seconds and one game for the first this year and is primarily a batsman but as you lot on here know he has been practising leg breaks for a while now.

he has only ever bowled leggies in the nets so we will have to see how it goes tonight. ironically he was bowled by a leg break bowler in his last match for 23.
like i say he has lost the googly for the most part and when he tries to bowl it the ball comes straight on with extra bounce in the nets anyway!! so we assumed through reading the stuff on here and the wrist position being halfway between the googly and leg break that he has found some top spin.
do you reckon this might be a good ball to bowl first up to give the batsman something to think about?

Strof, many a time on here I've mentioned a game where I watched an old bloke bowl what must have been 10 overs in a game, they only had four bowlers and I'm assuming we let the team bowl 4 blokes at ten overs each (Not sure what the rules are with regards bowling). This bloke bowled what looked like primarily top spinners with different flight and slightly different lengths and speeds and pinned down our two experienced openers for the whole of his spell - two bats in the early 40's that had played cricket all their lives. I think he bowled 6 or 7 maidens. It was seeing that, that enticed me to learn the Top-Spinner. The top spinner with the Leg Break is a good ball to have I reckon.

someblokecalleddave;399635 said:
The top spinner with the Leg Break is a good ball to have I reckon.

My young bloke bowled 6 balls in his school uniform on the way to indoor this arvo. Part superstition and part trying to warm up and get on line. He is looking to bowl lots of topspinners indoors because he often spins it too much on the carpet. This one took off when it hit the stitching YouTube - topspin.wmv. I remember seeing the seam revolving for a perfect topspinner ,before and after it hit the deck with this ball.

macca;399698 said:
My young bloke bowled 6 balls in his school uniform on the way to indoor this arvo. Part superstition and part trying to warm up and get on line. He is looking to bowl lots of topspinners indoors because he often spins it too much on the carpet. This one took off when it hit the stitching YouTube - topspin.wmv. I remember seeing the seam revolving for a perfect topspinner ,before and after it hit the deck with this ball.

Lovely! Sounds like he was impressed too and how's your teeth! Your winter looks like our summer! I bowled tonight and it was 7 degrees with hailstones earlier and in Newcastle they had snow and we're a little more than a month away from Mid-summer!

It is still warm weather and the winter is mild where i am. The water temp is still warm too, in the low 20's, and i have been catching heaps of fish off the beach in the surf.

macca;399698 said:

your boy has a great action, especially given his age. all the youngsters ive seen that bowl leg spin (aside from one) have very quirky actions, not really the perfect orthodox method, but their own strange ways of getting leg spin. and they dont seem to be as effective as if they were just trying to emulate the classic technique (e.g. Warne). one of the youngsters, whos probably 16 or 17, has a more conventional method, and he is the most effective. your guy has a very Warne-esque method.

and that top spinner looks deadly. thats the kind of bounce i can generate with heavy overspin although with a flatter flight. however im 6'2"!!! so thats very impressive bounce indeed. i cant imagine too many kids being comfortable facing that with an outdoor ball. thats chest/rib cage height, and with decent pace as well. i had a kid (about 14 or 15) sprawling last year with an overspun leg break that hit him in the helmet grille (not on purpose i might add lol, im not that harsh).

adults dont seem any more at ease though. i got one of the first team bats square in the nuts with a bouncing leg break at indoor nets in January (pitched it well outside leg, he opened up to play a shot and it turned back in at him :D). and then next ball i got one to bounce even more (chest height) and he edged it off the top corner of the bat to where slip would have been because he panicked when it got big on him again.

i can never get him to put in much effort at practise. Here is another ball from the 6 we bowled on our way to indoor.

He doesn't put much effort in but still gets nice shape and some topspinning legspin which nips off quicker than you would reckon YouTube - for the goofyfooter.wmv

Jim2109;399737 said:
adults dont seem any more at ease though. i got one of the first team bats square in the nuts with a bouncing leg break at indoor nets in January (pitched it well outside leg, he opened up to play a shot and it turned back in at him :D). and then next ball i got one to bounce even more (chest height) and he edged it off the top corner of the bat to where slip would have been because he panicked when it got big on him again.

That's how I got out to an Off-spinner on Sunday, the bloke was turning it a lot and varying the turn, I tried to play forward defensive and smother the spin and it just bounced hit the gloves and went easily to the bloke at Leg Slip.

I might post up some vids of my young uns wicket - he flights it well, but doesn't seem bothered on working to get the turn, but I reckon if he put more effort into his rotation and pivot he'd turn the ball. At 8 though it's difficult to get through to him, but I reckon as with his older brother as he gets older he might get more competitive and start seeking solutions and want to learn more?

someblokecalleddave;399743 said:
I might post up some vids of my young uns wicket - he flights it well, but doesn't seem bothered on working to get the turn, but I reckon if he put more effort into his rotation and pivot he'd turn the ball. At 8 though it's difficult to get through to him, but I reckon as with his older brother as he gets older he might get more competitive and start seeking solutions and want to learn more?

Just let them 'enjoy' their cricket at the moment, unless there is anything fundamentally wrong with an action let them get on with it, as you say once they get a bit more competitive that will be when they will start to listen. Of course this is advice from a dad of an 11 year old who at times comes very close to being 'over coached' ie do as I say not as I (always) do :)

Back