Has The Bcci Become Too Powerful In World Cricket?

BCCI - Evil Dictatorship?

• Total voters
It was an Indian born English captain in Douglas Jardine who was the original cheat.

I may very well be well out of step with many but calling Douglas Jardine a cheat is very poor form. He was ruthless and cold but never a cheat. He engineered a fielding concept called 'Leg Theory' it was incredibly successful. When analysed it was brilliant and in todays world of helmets and body pads it would not be anywhere near as controversial. It was taken out of play purely by a change of laws that stops the fielding team, placing more than two fielders behind square on the leg side making bowling aimed at leg stump easier to play. The West Indies didn't need more than that with chin music aimed at middle. It was no more safe as a system and in an era with no helmets would also have been a controversy.

I don't know about anyone else, but I feel that BCCI has become too powerful and become a bit like an evil dictatorship (The purpose of this, is not to get anyone offended).

It all started when a group of people wanted to set up an exciting new T20 league , that gave ex international players a bit of cash and the ability to show India their talent at home mixed with their local talent. This league became known as the ICL (Indian Cricket League), now the BCCI had not authorized this tournament and therefor did everything in their power to crush the ICL. They made the ICC ban all international players from playing international cricket if they continued to play in the ICL by making a new rule, they copied the ICL's idea and made the IPL, they stole the Television rights from the ICL with help from the ICC. All these actions crushed the ICL and the IPL became a very popular tournament. From what I've read from international players that have played both tournaments that the ICL was actually the better tournament.

The BCCI through the banning of the international players caused some players (like Shane Bond, Daryl Tuffey and Nathan Astle etc) to have shorter international careers and weaken the international teams for two years until they let them back in even though those players had been promised that they could still continue to play international cricket.

The IPL has created more recent problems as well, players deciding to play the IPL instead of playing for the country with the likes of Lasith Malinga and making players retire because they would rather make money in the IPL than play for their country such as Shaun Tait.

And finally, just in the last couple of days, the BCCI has said they don't want any Indians from playing in Sri Lanka's version of the IPL. Though they give another reason, we all know the real reasons behind it. The BCCI use their money had power to try swat out the smaller powers. If some of the Indians go and play in the Sri Lankan T20 League we know what will happen, they will probably ban them from the international squad and force them from leaving the "rebel league". It's only a "rebel league" in the BCCI's eyes because it's competition just like the ICL and what's behind competition? Money, that's all it is.

The IPL has also caused problems for Chris Gayle, the West Indies and Pakistan cricket boards are having massive problems with some of their players, this is greatly due to T20 cricket and in Chris Gayle's situation the IPL.

When will this corruption end?
If the U. S. is supposed to be a Superpower in the globe, because people can tell the B. C. C. I. what to do, like the U. S. administration is supposed to be the main engine of the economy, and everyone wants to blame their happiness and unhappiness on how the U. S. economy performs, then the B. C. C. I. is the undisputed heavyweight Superpower. Seriously, people like Dhoni, are seen to be the taxpayers dilemma, because they agree totally that he deserves the money, but people see Cricket as a sport, and in India, it seems like the various govt. administrations don't actually manufacture or provide services, but they are supposed to generate employment, and in India, people are saying the politician is undeserving of his or her salary, as they are corrupt first, and take a professional salary afterwards. The politician is actually a social leader, as Dhoni is also seen, and the B. C. C. I. is akin to the Govt. of India, with various ministers who are visible.
Dhoni is seen to be partaking not of a traditional expenditure of govt., or tax, but of the reality of new economy, where Superstars get the cream, playing Cricket. I don't seriously feel, that the person who supplies water to stadiums, in times of water shortage, for spectators, when that person himself has a water supply problem, is going to ponder about what I have expressed.
I think, that when the B. C. C. I., started to be one of the biggest visible employers in the economy, the institution seriously undermined it's freedom of identity. Now, people and among them, great personalities belonging to sport, are seemingly wanting to petition the govt., to make the B. C. C. I., if I may use the term, 'quasi-government' organization, and/or institution, which is 'non profit'. I don't know what 'quasi-govt' means, and neither do many esteemed people like Olympic Gold Medalists. But, I don't think it might be complimentary to any organization or institution, where people like Dhoni, earn amounts unbelievable, and by endorsements. The fee that a player gets from the B. C. C. I., for appearing and winning international matches is less than the Wimbledon quarter-finalist at the Queens Club. It appears, that the B. C. C. I. wanted a certain anonymity, to how their functionaries were perceived, and that is why they paid the players not a lot, even when the game in India was generating money.
The sad situation seems to be, that people want to make the govt. accountable for India winning Cricket matches, and for their investment through public amenities to be relevant by perception, of performance of govt., which is blamed all the time for India's ills.

Well I was avoiding voting on this BCCI thing but now that it's come to light that they threatened the CSA that if they voted in their current boss that there would be 'consequences'...and lo and behold there was, I have given this a definite 'yes'. The BCCI have essentially become what they India used to complain the old English dominated system was.

There's a few things that have irked me with their behaviour and here they are:

1. Forcing the ICC to ban all participants in the ICL (why didn't they just absorb the competition like what the NBA did with the ABA in the 70's?)
2. Using their voting bloc in the ICC to suppress the results of the audit of Zimbabwe Cricket's finances in the 00's (just so they could keep Zimbabwe's vote?)
3. Threatening the CSA re the voting for their chairman (they have no right to threaten another board re their own democratic processes)
4. Not using their power to help establish a workable FTP that accommodates T20s, ODIs and tests home & away for all test nations (they appear to value short term profits over actually growing the game)
5. Forcing 2 umpires into retirement yet acting with surprise when DRS came into the picture, if it's such an issue why aren't they offering to help in any way? (unfortunately they don't really care enough to do anything, especially if it involves spending money for no real return)

YES definetly, BCCI has become too powerful in world cricket, its like a rich spoilt kid in the class... even the teacher have to laugh at his jokes cause he pays her salary...

Here is a answer to all your questions

www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/india-the-new-world-provider-for-cricket-20130222-2ex1x.html

India the new world provider for cricket

By DEAN JONES

THE reason cricket is one of the world's most popular sports is mainly due to the influence from India. Cricket is played by 10 nations with Test status and 35 associate countries. But it is India that provides nearly 80 per cent of the world's cricket revenues. And cricket-playing countries and players around the world are a lot wealthier because of that revenue generated by India.

Generally, people who have the most money get what they want. India is no different, and it is very protective of its power and very shrewd when it comes to using it. Many fans and cricket leaders think this is a bad thing for the game. I don't. Over the past few years, the Board of Cricket Control of India has not won too many friends with its directions and opinions on the game. It wasn't long ago that India was easily bulldozed by the boards from England and Australia. Not now. Let me be completely transparent here. I work for many media companies that the BCCI has some command or authority over. Nevertheless, I believe it has every right to make decisions in its own interest, as England and Australia did during their reign of more than 100 years of cricket.

The Indian authorities are the ones who have invested heavily in cricket, and ultimately they are the ones who pay the invoices. The BCCI really knows how to maximise every commercial deal it has entered and this polarises people's opinions. Other countries just hang onto India's coat-tails. Today, India always has a massive audience and it brings along a massive bank cheque. Money speaks all languages, and India's power has made all cricket nations bow to the needs of the BCCI.

This shift of power has come from the fact that India is booming economically. The BCCI has been very clever in how it maintains that power. The board has a full understanding on how to control bureaucracy. The British taught it that over many years. Strategically, the BCCI has placed many board members throughout the International Cricket Council committees and now the ICC cannot do anything without the BCCI's approval.

The two most dominant figures within the BCCI are Sharad Pawar and Narayanaswami Srinivasan. Many of the board members are federal ministers, who are powerful people in their own right.

Over the past five years, India has really started to use its power. Its broadcast and media rights have been sold for staggering amounts of money. India recently refused to come under the World Anti-Doping Agency code, and it was the only major country that opposed the decision revision system. The board has copped a lot of criticism for its strong stance against DRS and its opinions of the WADA code. In hindsight, maybe the BCCI got its strong stance right against the DRS. It's great for TV, but with the many weird and funny cases over our summer, perhaps there is a strong argument that the Indian board may be right after all.

Is the BCCI's control of everything a bad thing? It has become so dictatorial and protective of its control of the game that it chooses commentators for any series in India. The BCCI has just recently stopped me from commentating for a Twenty20 Indian universities tournament. I am led to believe the BCCI is still upset with my involvement in the creation of the Indian Cricket League in 2007 without its approval.

The ICL was created by Zee Sports as part of their bid for Indian cricket TV broadcast rights. They instructed Kapil Dev, Ajay Kapoor (a television executive for Zee Sports) and myself to come up with a tournament. The ICL was created, but was quickly listed as an ''unauthorised league'' by the BCCI. The Indian board was furious and banned all ICL administrators, players and staff. The ICL disbanded not long after, and the Indian Premier League is now a mirror copy of what we invented. It was only recently that my great friend Dev was allowed back into the board's arms. Thankfully, time does heal some wounds. I hope to be back in the fold soon.

Recently we have learnt that the ABC won't broadcast from India after refusing to pay the high broadcast fees demanded. I know many fans in Australia are upset with the BCCI's stance, but it is the board's right as to who it wants to do its broadcasts and what it wants to charge. If you cannot pay, then bad luck. While massive tantrums and power plays are happening off the field, it is what is happening on the field that makes things interesting. The Indian board will not allow any Indian player to play in any of the Twenty20 competitions outside the IPL - competitions such as the Big Bash League, Bangladesh Premier League, Sri Lankan Premier League and the Pakistan Super League. Not one Indian player has played in these competitions. You must ask yourself why. Does Mercedes-Benz sell some of its spare parts to help construct a Mini? The BCCI is just being smart in protecting its brand.

The IPL today is one of the top six sporting brands in the world. It has really put India on the world map. Companies are flocking to the IPL just to be part of it.The Indian board ploughs most of its money back into grassroots cricket, where there are more than 55,000 matches played in India every day. It pays out millions every year in player pensions for former players. India also helped South Africa return to international cricket and helped Bangladesh reach Test status.

When the Indian board isn't part of your income, people tend to have a point of view that it is ruining the fabric of the game. Then there are the players, officials and media outlets that are commercially involved with the BCCI. These people only have good words for the board.

Since the board has started to be the major powerbroker of the game, has world cricket benefited?
Yes, and more power to it.

Sorry BlueBlood, I don't agree with Dean Jones here.

He loses all credibility when he states "I hope to be back in the fold soon (aka. BCCI's pants)". Dean Jones is intelligent...he wants to profit from the BCCI's fat wallet and good luck to him but all that statement tells me is the whole point of this article is to impress the BCCI and get back into the "fold".

True, India and the BCCI create the most revenue and have the most influence on the world game but why? It's got nothing to do with the BCCI's genius... The BCCI creates the most revenue simply because India has the second biggest population in the world and one of the fasting growing economies as he states. Other big reasons are the BCCI"s corruption such as "now the ICC cannot do anything without the BCCI's approval", banning players and administrators from international cricket because they are not making any profit from it (ICL), extensive match-fixing within the board, demanding ridiculous prices for television rights and finally, not agreeing to use the DRS or signing the anti-doping code...

I have nothing against T20 or India but there is no way you can convince me that the BCCI are good for the international game. "With great power comes great responsibility".

Sure Dean Jones wants to get connected to BCCI in some way, who related to cricket wouldn't (check out IPL), but that doesnt mean he will offer candies to them . BCCI has got heartburn with many past aussie, pakistani players and almost all of them works here now...

My point is BCCI is a cicketing administration body of a country... you cannot blame the whole board for the wrong doings of few people such as N. Srinivasan or Sharad Pawar or even Lalit Modi though I am not sure if he is involved in the incidents he is reported to be.... Recently BCCI had seen some most corrupted officials in its history and is definetly going through a very bad phase... but People like Shashank Manohar was also part of the board who helped cricket grow in India and beyond... So I think you should blame the person who is involved in the wrong doings, not the whole board or the country.

Now regarding ICL, bans were temporary. People related to ICL are back and doing fine, no match fixing is done by BCCI that I know off.... televisions rights pure business, no media company would buy TV rights if they doesn't earn profit and since IPL is broadcasted in almost all countries except Australia, I dont know where the problem is... Regarding WADA and DRS, BCCI needs to change their POV for sure...

futureblackcap futureblackcap

Now regarding ICL, bans were temporary. People related to ICL are back and doing fine

Back and fine? I don't know about you but if you had your international career cut short five years like Shane Bond's then I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be fine with how the BCCI/ICC treated you and other ICL players. Five years is a long time in an international career.. I can speak for New Zealand here.. Our national team lost the services of Shane Bond, Andre Adams, Daryl Tuffey, Nathan Astle, Craig McMillan and Chris Harris all in the space of 12 months when many of them were promised that they'd still be able to be selected for national duties. This massively depleted our resources and the Blackcap's were severely weakened as a result for a number of years. All because of the BCCI's greed and influence over the ICC.

While there will be good and honest people on the BCCI board...I'd like to see some evidence of it sometimes..

Back and fine? I don't know about you but if you had your international career cut short five years like Shane Bond's then I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be fine with how the BCCI/ICC treated you and other ICL players. Five years is a long time in an international career.. I can speak for New Zealand here.. Our national team lost the services of Shane Bond, Andre Adams, Daryl Tuffey, Nathan Astle, Craig McMillan and Chris Harris all in the space of 12 months when many of them were promised that they'd still be able to be selected for national duties. This massively depleted our resources and the Blackcap's were severely weakened as a result for a number of years. All because of the BCCI's greed and influence over the ICC.

While there will be good and honest people on the BCCI board...I'd like to see some evidence of it sometimes..
Add in Lou Vincent and Chris Cairns and I think you have the complete list. It should be noted that the players were banned from anything to do with NZ, it is no wonder that NZ plummeted to the bottom during that time. Craig McMillan was broke when he approached Sky Sport for a commentating role a long time back and was set to commentate an Indian tour to NZ (the 2008 tour?) but the BCCI intervened and forced Sky to tear up his contract. This was behavior that the Italian mafia would have been proud of.

It is odd that people talk of the BCCI helping the game grow beyond India, sure if they go along with everything the BCCI says but has the BCCI really done so much for everyone? They haven't even allowed their good friends Bangladesh to tour India once or the Sri Lankan domestic T20 league to operate without outside interference, Pakistan who traditionally voted with India has had their players banned from participating in the IPL (the BCCI say that it is the Indian government preventing them but the Indian government has denied this). To make matters worse they have even taken the game back to where a small group of countries control the destiny of cricket in the other top nations. The one that genuinely ticks me off the most though is where some Indian fans say something like "we were treated so badly by Eng for years so if you don't like it now then too bad", right so the revenge was to get in bed with Eng and take power away from Zimbabwe? That makes perfect sense. Appreciate that NZC voted for the recent changes but if someone told you that you would never earn any money again unless you signed your life away what would you do?

I have nothing against the IPL and really like Indian cricket but a I have a hell of a lot against the BCCI who really are just about the money.

I think your list isnt fully correct. Here's what I knew and googled for some others

1. Shane Bond- I dont know about the 5 years but he played his last test against Pakistan in 2009, and ODI against ausis in 2010 and I remember he took a double-wicket maiden early on there, he even was in NZ squad in 2010 WC t20... Even in IPL he played for KKR... He retired at 35 and for a fast baller thats a good age...

2. Andre Adams- I believe he plays for Notts now, and I googled his joing date, its - 21 may 2008, thats even before ICL disbandad... Regarding his international games, he only played 1 test and 42 ODIs from 2001 to 2007, that doesnt say much except that he was mostly a List A player all through his carrier...

3. Daryl Tuffey- Last ODI 27 September 2009 v Sri Lanka. Last Test 15 February 2010 v Bangladesh

4. Chris Harris- His last international Test was way back in 2002 vs West Indies and ODI in 2004 vs Australia... So undeniably his return in international cricket after ICL wasnt a surprise

5. Craig McMillan- He retired from international cricket before ICL even started ( http://www.espncricinfo.com/newzealand/content/story/315751.html )

6. Nathan Astle- He too announced his retirement before ICL started ( http://www.cricketarchive.com/Archive/Articles/6/6020.html )....

All of them got back into international cricket contracts right after ICL dissolved in 2009

Add in Lou Vincent and Chris Cairns and I think you have the complete list. It should be noted that the players were banned from anything to do with NZ, it is no wonder that NZ plummeted to the bottom during that time. Craig McMillan was broke when he approached Sky Sport for a commentating role a long time back and was set to commentate an Indian tour to NZ (the 2008 tour?) but the BCCI intervened and forced Sky to tear up his contract. This was behavior that the Italian mafia would have been proud of.

It is odd that people talk of the BCCI helping the game grow beyond India, sure if they go along with everything the BCCI says but has the BCCI really done so much for everyone? They haven't even allowed their good friends Bangladesh to tour India once or the Sri Lankan domestic T20 league to operate without outside interference, Pakistan who traditionally voted with India has had their players banned from participating in the IPL (the BCCI say that it is the Indian government preventing them but the Indian government has denied this). To make matters worse they have even taken the game back to where a small group of countries control the destiny of cricket in the other top nations. The one that genuinely ticks me off the most though is where some Indian fans say something like "we were treated so badly by Eng for years so if you don't like it now then too bad", right so the revenge was to get in bed with Eng and take power away from Zimbabwe? That makes perfect sense. Appreciate that NZC voted for the recent changes but if someone told you that you would never earn any money again unless you signed your life away what would you do?

I have nothing against the IPL and really like Indian cricket but a I have a hell of a lot against the BCCI who really are just about the money.

Chris Cairns quit international cricket in 2006 before ICL happened ( http://www.espncricinfo.com/nzvwi/content/story/237360.html )

I have to accept Lou Vincent had a tough time ... Not because of BCCI but because he had some kind of medical issues...

The thing is, it really doesnt help if you diatribe BCCI for any and all unfavorable thing happening in cricket.... People think BCCI just sit and bosses around and does nothing for its fellow board, does they even know how ICC works.... ICC helps cricket board and cricket playing countries in countless different ways, so where does ICC gets all the money from ...?? I believe this simple logic is easy to understand

Even I hate people like Srinivasan or Sharad Pawar, but not BCCI, its just too big for it.....

Chris Cairns quit international cricket in 2006 before ICL happened ( http://www.espncricinfo.com/nzvwi/content/story/237360.html )

I have to accept Lou Vincent had a tough time ... Not because of BCCI but because he had some kind of medical issues...

The thing is, it really doesnt help if you diatribe BCCI for any and all unfavorable thing happening in cricket.... People think BCCI just sit and bosses around and does nothing for its fellow board, does they even know how ICC works.... ICC helps cricket board and cricket playing countries in countless different ways, so where does ICC gets all the money from ...?? I believe this simple logic is easy to understand

Even I hate people like Srinivasan or Sharad Pawar, but not BCCI, its just too big for it.....
The BCCI pressured the other boards to enforce bans on all ICL players from cricket, a country like NZ could not afford such talent and experience being ostracised from the game even if some of them were at the end of their careers. NZ cricket suffered from this and the NZ fans have not forgotten.

The old Imperial Cricket Council, basically run by Eng and Aus, was opened up to become the modern ICC because countries like India complained that it was run in favour of the rich and powerful. Now that the BCCI is rich and powerful they believe it is in everyones interests to have a closed shop again?

The sad thing is that for every good thing the BCCI has started there is usually an ulterior motive round the corner:

• Bangladesh given test status...BCCI gain another vote on the ICC and then tear down the FTP which was ensuring Bangladesh games
  • Zimbabwe cricket is supported by the BCCI...BCCI gain another vote and reports on ongoing corruption which cripples the Zimbabwean game are suppressed or not acted on by the ICC due to the BCCI blocking such action
  • NZ get 'unexpected' tours from India in 2008-09 and 2013-14...Blood money for NZ ICL players being banned and supporting the power grab by the big 3
Just a question though, other than money can you explain what good the BCCI has done in the last 14 years that would not have happened anyway?

Bangladesh given test status...BCCI gain another vote on the ICC and then tear down the FTP which was ensuring Bangladesh games

You do realise that Bangladesh got quite a lot number of games last couple of months and it wouldnt have been possible if BCCI didnt intervene... By the way Bangladesh defeated almost every team in ODI's and t20s so dont you think they deserve their test status....

Zimbabwe cricket is supported by the BCCI...BCCI gain another vote and reports on ongoing corruption which cripples the Zimbabwean game are suppressed or not acted on by the ICC due to the BCCI blocking such action

Well Zimbabwe is the second poorest country in the world and there was no way cricket could have survived there without BCCI's help in the first place, and loosing test status isn't new with Zimbabwe... they lost it in 2005, and are suspended again so no support for BCCI now.....

Just a question though, other than money can you explain what good the BCCI has done in the last 14 years that would not have happened anyway?

Ok lets see...,

• The fees for turning out in a Ranji trophy encounter used to be about Rs 450 INR a day in the 90s. Now it stands at about Rs 35,000 INR a day. Thats 80 times increase...!!
  • The best thing to have happened in cricket in recent years is IPL, and I am saying from a cricketer's viewpoint.
  • International match fees have been increased from 2.5 lakhs for Tests to 7 lakh rupees.
  • 11 new international cricket grounds have been built in India since 2000.
  • At lot number of Universities, clubs, states bodies, have been given recognisation... atleast 55000 match is played daily under it...
  • Afgan Nepal and bhutan cricket boards and players receive a bigger part of BCCI support.... starting from infrastructure to setting up practices with indian list A players...
and there ase many others. As I said earlier, inspite of all these facts I hate few of our officials, but my reasons are different...

Last edited:
You do realise that Bangladesh got quite a lot number of games last couple of months and it wouldnt have been possible if BCCI didnt intervene... By the way Bangladesh defeated almost every team in ODI's and t20s so dont you think they deserve their test status....

Well Zimbabwe is the second poorest country in the world and there was no way cricket could have survived there without BCCI's help in the first place, and loosing test status isn't new with Zimbabwe... they lost it in 2005, and are suspended again so no support for BCCI now.....

Ok lets see...,

• The fees for turning out in a Ranji trophy encounter used to be about Rs 450 INR a day in the 90s. Now it stands at about Rs 35,000 INR a day. Thats 80 times increase...!!
  • The best thing to have happened in cricket in recent years is IPL, and I am saying from a cricketer's viewpoint.
  • International match fees have been increased from 2.5 lakhs for Tests to 7 lakh rupees.
  • 11 new international cricket grounds have been built in India since 2000.
  • At lot number of Universities, clubs, states bodies, have been given recognisation... atleast 55000 match is played daily under it...
  • Afgan Nepal and bhutan cricket boards and players receive a bigger part of BCCI support.... starting from infrastructure to setting up practices with indian list A players...
and there ase many others. As I said earlier, inspite of all these facts I hate few of our officials, but my reasons are different...
The key point is "other than money":

• The fees for turning out in a Ranji trophy encounter used to be about Rs 450 INR a day in the 90s. Now it stands at about Rs 35,000 INR a day. Thats 80 times increase...!! - Money
  • The best thing to have happened in cricket in recent years is IPL, and I am saying from a cricketer's viewpoint. - Money
  • International match fees have been increased from 2.5 lakhs for Tests to 7 lakh rupees. - Money
  • 11 new international cricket grounds have been built in India since 2000. - Money
  • At lot number of Universities, clubs, states bodies, have been given recognisation... atleast 55000 match is played daily under it... - Power, votes. money
  • Afgan Nepal and bhutan cricket boards and players receive a bigger part of BCCI support.... starting from infrastructure to setting up practices with indian list A players... - At last something!...that everyone else has been doing for years, all the full member nations support nearby associates in some form.

And Zimbabwe? In 2005 they lost their test status but kept their vote and funding, suited the BCCI as that vote was paid for by them. Now that the BCCI requires no votes the don't care what happens to Zimbabwe, don't be surprised if they just let them slip into oblivion.

The key point is "other than money":

• The fees for turning out in a Ranji trophy encounter used to be about Rs 450 INR a day in the 90s. Now it stands at about Rs 35,000 INR a day. Thats 80 times increase...!! - Money
  • The best thing to have happened in cricket in recent years is IPL, and I am saying from a cricketer's viewpoint. - Money
  • International match fees have been increased from 2.5 lakhs for Tests to 7 lakh rupees. - Money
  • 11 new international cricket grounds have been built in India since 2000. - Money
  • At lot number of Universities, clubs, states bodies, have been given recognisation... atleast 55000 match is played daily under it... - Power, votes. money
  • Afgan Nepal and bhutan cricket boards and players receive a bigger part of BCCI support.... starting from infrastructure to setting up practices with indian list A players... - At last something!...that everyone else has been doing for years, all the full member nations support nearby associates in some form.

And Zimbabwe? In 2005 they lost their test status but kept their vote and funding, suited the BCCI as that vote was paid for by them. Now that the BCCI requires no votes the don't care what happens to Zimbabwe, don't be surprised if they just let them slip into oblivion.

Well You do need money to help someone, right.... how can you expect to do it otherwise.... Even in helping Afgan Nepal and bhutan cricket boards money is needed, for all their infrastructure and whatnots... My point is people love to read about news that favours them, and right now its anything bashing BCCI, and all the things which they did right gets clouded by it.... Trust me, being an organisation with a rogue boss, they are doing preety good....

As Margaret Thatcher said “No one would remember the Good Samaritan if he’d only had good intentions – he had money, too.”

The sooner the BCCI loses its hold on world cricket the better off the game will be.

At the pace Shrinivasan is going.... that day isnt very far....!!

I hope so. For a board of one country to have so much power in the game isn't right, even if they do produce a reasonably high share of the money in the game in general.

I hope so. For a board of one country to have so much power in the game isn't right, even if they do produce a reasonably high share of the money in the game in general.

I just hope Shrinivasan and his team gets replaced as soon as possible, fancy our courts does something in this matter...

Well You do need money to help someone, right.... how can you expect to do it otherwise.... Even in helping Afgan Nepal and bhutan cricket boards money is needed, for all their infrastructure and whatnots... My point is people love to read about news that favours them, and right now its anything bashing BCCI, and all the things which they did right gets clouded by it.... Trust me, being an organisation with a rogue boss, they are doing preety good....

As Margaret Thatcher said “No one would remember the Good Samaritan if he’d only had good intentions – he had money, too.”
Margaret Thatcher is not exactly the best person to quote, Britain is still struggling with the changes she put into place.

Of course they do some good things but so do all dictatorships. British rule of India is constantly derided but without it modern India would not exist. India would be a group of separate countries, there would be no combined rail system and the legal system (however good or bad) would be something completely different.

The problem is that the BCCI is doing the bare minimum and are using their power to only influence things to their advantage. If the BCCI did have the games best interest at heart:

- The ICL would have been incorporated into the IPL
- Governance and anti-corruption rules would be transparently enforced
- Championed the Woolf Report for changes to how the international game is run
- Provided the power behind a compromise between the financial and global growth of the game

The first point is impossible now and the other 3's chances are dwindling as time goes on.

Given the current news about the game fixing and corruption charges being pointed at the BCCI check out this masterstroke:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/current/story/742499.html

Back