Help me play a cut shot

Staple

Help me play a cut shot

Hello

I've been playing cricket since I first got into school, and right now I'm 16 fighting for a spot in the school's first team. A year ago I was probably nowhere near getting a spot, but then my batting finally caught fire this last season. This was the first season in which I ever batted competitively and I got promoted from number 8 to opening for the second team. I was basically only in the second team because they didn't have any keepers at all, and I was basically the only keeper so they didn't have a choice but to include me. Aahhh the benefits of fielding with pads.

So anyway, as an opener I'm scoring my shots mostly by playing off the back foot and driving, however one huge huge HUGE flaw in my current batting is that I just cannot play a cut-shot, which is ridiculous for a top-order batsman. Even in the nets I fail. I don't even get bat on ball.

Are there any instructional videos/pages I could give a visit which you would recommend? Or could you perhaps guide me? I've tried everything with about 4 different coaches, and still no result. The last season I've basically had to get way across for anything shortish outside-off and play an awkward pull shot to keep scoring.

Thanks

Re: Help me play a cut shot

What do you think the problem is? Technique, footwork or something else? Can you sahadow play the shot or is it a complete mind blank?

Well yeah it is a bit of a mind blank. I guess the problem is everything you just mentioned. I have a trigger movement bringing the back foot across to about between off and middle and then bringing the front foot to middle, because I had trouble pulling/hooking a while ago because I didn't get in line with the ball, and this helped a lot. So I'm guessing my feet have become a bit lazy now, though the problem was already there before I had this trigger movement.

I've also noticed that when I cut I don't get over the ball. I sort of lean back making it harder for me to reach the ball and play it down. I don;t know if my arm-movement might also be a problem. I wait for the ball and then just short of jab out the bat.

You need to go right back to basics with it. Start practicing with a static ball and build up from there. I'll give you an outline of what I would later (have uni work to finish up first) - pm me if I don't do by tuesday!

I am no cut shot expert. I'm a driver, a nudge on the leg sider, and a driver... did I say that twice?

But what I did find out recently that did help me quite a bit was... well let me explain it.

In your initial batting position your left shoulder is higher than your right shoulder. When you play the drive, especially the straight one, you want a high elbow most because you want a high shoulder so that when your right shoulder pushes down, your upper body creates rotation .... which maximises the speed of the bat.

So then I thought to myself... why don't you do that horizontally? You might play the cut shot better.

So...

1) You see the opportunity for a cut... back and across... and very importantly... right shoulder powering downwards. And I mean it -- with power! Your left shoulder moves slightly up.

YouTube - Steve Waugh 157* Vs England 2001

Watch Steve Waugh's cut... and watch his right shoulder... or left on the screen.

Good luck!

Staple;383776 said:
So anyway, as an opener I'm scoring my shots mostly by playing off the back foot and driving, however one huge huge HUGE flaw in my current batting is that I just cannot play a cut-shot, which is ridiculous for a top-order batsman.

I assume you mean you play back foot drives instead of cutting? If so, then this is very far from ridiculous. In fact I would argue that this is even better. It is very common for coaches to encourage young players to practice the back foot drive instead of the cut shot. Steve Waugh spent the first half of his career playing the backfoot drive instead of the cut shot. Sachin Tendulkar scored probably his greatest innings - a 200 in Sydney in 2004 - not once playing a cross bat shot.

Alright i love the cut shot it is my favourite and is one of my strengths as a fellow opener. the thing is to pick the shot early and get your right foot back and across(assuming your a right hander) and the number one rule roll your wrists on impact otherwise you will get caught, and like the other guys said use your shoulders for power.

Back