Help with leg spin

Basit770

Help with leg spin

Hi there! I am 14 years old and play cricket at club level. I am a leg spinner. Recently, i have started bowling very poorly in my practice sessions with my team. I am always being told to rotate my shoulders in my follow through and give the ball a rip. When i do this, it just goes short and gets slapped! My line is alright but its my length that is rubbish! When i try to bowl it a bit slower with a bit more flight, it either is a full toss and gets hit or the batsmen just wait for it to bounce, move back and cut it. Please help me because soon, i have got trials for a bigger district side.

Please help me on, run up, flight, pace, follow through and give me any other tips you can.

Thanks!

Re: Help with leg spin

edladd said:
It's definitely reaching critical mass - I reckon there's a book in there somewhere :laugh:

Will have a look to extract the useful bits from it at some point. As Jon says, vol 2 may be on the way. I think even Dave probably gets lost in there.

Yeah I was thinking maybe we start a new one with specific variations? I reckon we'll call it a day when it gets up to 6000 views or 600 entries? :laugh:

We can certainly look at breaking up that thread a little. If you have any suggestions as to the best method, fire away!

I'm not sure, I don't know how all this internet lark works - all I know is that a couple of days ago I simply googled Leg Spin and one of the pages turned up on the first page of google which as far as I'm aware is good news for you blokes as it means that potentially leads new members to the site? I'm just thinking if you fragment it into say -

Leg breaks
Flippers
Wrong Uns
Sliders
Top Spinners for instance

some of the threads would get very little viewing and disappear into some obscure page, whereas all the time I'm commenting along with you blokes and some of the others it keeps leg spin up there in all it's varieties for me to see, read and make contributions to?

It certainly is good news for us as it gives us more exposure.

We can always sticky the threads so that they always stay on top of the forum.

someblokecalleddave said:
I'm just thinking if you fragment it into say -

Leg breaks
Flippers
Wrong Uns
Sliders
Top Spinners for instance

You left out the Gippers thread ;)

Personally I think it's a good idea to keed the general leg spin thread, as it covers more than just how to bowl individual variations (i.e. practice routines, mixing up variation strategies) and it's a very active discussion. If someone wants to ask a question about a particular delivery then a sperate thread might be good (- though as you said, it would probably be bumped off the page quick enough). In this seperate thread, people can give suggestions and answer the question, but for general leg-spin chat, we should keep the main thread going.

I agree with you. The Leg Spin thread is pretty active and there is interesting discussion going on in there. The size of the thread can be intimidating to new users but you can use the search function to easily find the relevant information. And if that doesn't help you can always start a new thread.

Oh yeah Gippers - they're still pretty much experimental, they were working well today, they're a bit slow but man do they deviate off the line! :laugh:

I can't bowl leg breaks - I bowl all the rest quite well but my leg breaks don't turn. So a couple of day ago I was practicing and bowling wrong Uns and Flippers and had this brain wave - what would happen if you bowled a flipper but with your hand and wrist in the googly/wrong un position. So I tried it and it went wide about 10'. I thought I'll keep at it until I can get it to go down the track in a straight line and see what happens with the spin imparted by the fingers in the flipper action. The 2nd ball was straight but a bit short, but then when it landed it spun off almost at 90 degree - it's was ridiculous. Tried again for the next 18 balls and it was amazing! It turns from leg to off in a ridiculous manner. So being a combination of a flipper and googly I've called it a Gipper!

What do you reckon?

Here it is - I still haven'y had the time to get some video of it in action, but here's the grip from the side. The batsman would see the back of the hand in the same way that you'd see the googly coming at you. But instead of the conventional grip on a googly you'll see that the grip here is between the thumb and the index finger and the spin is imparted using the flick movment in same way that you'd click your fingers to music. (For more of a Flippe demo see the Shane Warne video on Youtube).

Here's a different angle (Slightly).

The neat thing is if you are a clever batsman and you're able to pick Googly's you're going to be in trouble as this spins viciously the opposite way to Off from leg. So potentially anyone picking it and seeing it go down the legside maybe tempted to leave it expecting it to either go straight or spin away to off - gotcha!

someblokecalleddave said:
I can't bowl leg breaks - I bowl all the rest quite well but my leg breaks don't turn. So a couple of day ago I was practicing and bowling wrong Uns and Flippers and had this brain wave - what would happen if you bowled a flipper but with your hand and wrist in the googly/wrong un position. So I tried it and it went wide about 10'. I thought I'll keep at it until I can get it to go down the track in a straight line and see what happens with the spin imparted by the fingers in the flipper action. The 2nd ball was straight but a bit short, but then when it landed it spun off almost at 90 degree - it's was ridiculous. Tried again for the next 18 balls and it was amazing! It turns from leg to off in a ridiculous manner. So being a combination of a flipper and googly I've called it a Gipper!

What do you reckon?

:D

like that, you may have a rival to the doosra!

Back