How Do You Control Yourself After Playing A Good Shot?

lower11

I have been in situations where I have played 1 or 2 good shots but I dont know what to do after, should I continue on with it or go into my shell e.g say i have hit 2 fours, and I have achieved my target for the overs.

Cheers.

Stereotypical answer is simply "play every ball on its merits".

In reality, you might have a few thoughts running through your head. One might be to deliberately calm yourself down by premeditating to defend the next ball or steal a quick single (as the opposition won't be expecting that). Another might be that you have the bowler on the ropes, and its a great chance to cash in with another couple of boundaries.

You've also got to think about the context of the game - do you need quick runs? Do you need to keep wickets in hand? Is this a bowler you need to see off, or a bowler you can hit out of the attack altogether?

Sometimes if you are facing a really shit bowler - say a leggie who gets big turn but who bowls too short and too slow - its best not to hit too many boundaries as you don't want him to get taken off. Maybe hit 3 boundaries, and then deliberately play and miss at the last ball of the over and shout "this bloke is too good for me" so that everyone can hear it. If you keep doing this every over, the captain might keep him on and you can score an easy 50.

Back