how to bowl a bouncer

DJ Rain

how to bowl a bouncer

I'm a right-arm fast medium & I have trouble digging the ball short for variation. Whenever I try to pitch one short it goes more
like a long-hop rather a short ball. I have suffiecent speed to bowl it but I cant make it rise towards chest height.

Can someone please help me with this Thanks

Re: how to bowl a bouncer

when i bowl a bouncer... (mine rise fairly sharp and up around head height) i. . .

- run in faster (slightly not a sprint)
- heighten my pre delivery stride (add a bit more hop)
- really throw my shoulder / back into it...

seems to work 4 me..... from previous experience it seems that bowling a bouncer is a thing of personal prefference. so its something u might wanna get in the nets and practice....

i kno a couple of good bowlers who struggle with bowling bouncers but still take plenty of wickets... so dnt worry 2 much about not being able 2 bowl them...

Yeah, I agree with the heightening of the delivery stride/hop. I find it adds height to the action and generates more bounce and zip off the pitch. As a general rule, height in the action is a good thing. The other thing to try would be to think about driving the shoulders into the pitch.

Having said that, the pitches where I live aren't very bouncy or quick so the bouncer doesn't always come off. Personally, I don't bowl a bouncer very often, tending to opt for a short of a length ball rising into the ribcage instead. The aim here is to tuck the batsman up with the ball still remaining too full to pull.

The difference between a bouncer and a normal length ball is that you're channelling all your effort into the middle of the pitch rather than the batsman.

As I've posted elsewhere, you will need to have a full rotation of the shoulders and imagine that you are trying to bury your bowling shoulder into the ground.

jus practice in the nets and find the right length so that the ball hits the batsmen around the chest area

The problem with practising in the nets for the bouncer is that pitches will tend to play differently. The best practice you can do is to focus directing all your momentum into the pitch, you can then tweak the length slightly on the day.

In theory there will also be variation in artificial wickets as the sub base may be laid differently or consist of different mixes of the materials. There can also be slight variation in the pitch itself due to variation in manufacturing techniques.

I'm not sure how much difference they make mind you. There is also the age of the pitch to take into account, as from what I know as the matting gets older it can change properties?

well i play on turf wickets which have good bounce & good carry to the keeper. I tried bowling a few short one in the nets last
week with the tips you guys gave & it worked like a charm. I got it to rise from exactly half way & the batsmen tried to
play a back foot defence but got a top edge which would have fallen to 2nd slip.. Now whenever the batsmen face me they that i;
able to bowl a good short one.... So thanks guys for all the help

Almost_Austwick said:
In theory there will also be variation in artificial wickets as the sub base may be laid differently or consist of different mixes of the materials. There can also be slight variation in the pitch itself due to variation in manufacturing techniques.

That is so true. Just recently ive started to notice 'dead' spots on the pitches. Fortunatly they are all outside off stump :p

If you get to know the wicket, then you'll should find a few 'live' spots as well. If you can hit those as well as the deader ones, you'll cause no end of problems.

Back