How to practise ?

SteveyD

How to practise ?

Afternoon/evening/Morning whereever you may be!
I was just wondering what you find the best way to practise alone? Where I am is somewhat lacking in facilities so the best I can do is go down to the park (which is about as flat as a lumpy home made pancake)and find it very difficult to work on accuracy due to the constant randomness of the grass (bowlers paradise, if I played matches there!)
So if anyone has tips for practising alone, would be appreciated. I always have a few balls lying around and if i'm working at my desk its always there being spun whenever i'm thinking etc!

Re: How to practise ?

I practice on concrete/tarmac out of season using hockey balls, they soon rough up and allow you some grip. They're the same weight as a cricket ball and the same size and have similar bounce characteristics. I currently use an old tennis court or anywhere, where there's a fence behind the stumps to stop the balls going miles past the stumps. You can use cricket balls, but they'll soon fall to bits on concrete.

This kind of thing http://mpafirsteleven.blogspot.com/2009/11/paddock-news-and-more-15038.html it's where I practice with my kids as well.

Hockey balls sounds like an interesting idea. Last year when i used to live with a bunch of guys who played we used to go down the park and practise on a basketball court using wind balls. As i've just moved house I am not as yet any member of a club, so i cannot find any local nets, just waiting for a few replies!

SteveyD;396221 said:
Hockey balls sounds like an interesting idea. Last year when i used to live with a bunch of guys who played we used to go down the park and practise on a basketball court using wind balls. As i've just moved house I am not as yet any member of a club, so i cannot find any local nets, just waiting for a few replies!

I use windballs with my kids, but for serious practice when I get down there on my own, the Hockey balls work out the next best thing after cricket balls and they're relatively cheap from places like Sports and Soccer world. If you've got a Decathlon shop near you I think you can pick them up there even cheaper - 2 quid or something, at the most 3 quid.

SteveyD;396221 said:

find out where your local cricket clubs are. you can find them on the internet, local newspapers (they print results and league tables during cricket season), etc.

using the wonders of the internet, find out where their ground is. then use Google Earth to have a look and see if they have any nets there!

then simply head down there and take a look for yourself. almost every cricket club has a net setup of some description, you dont need anything amazing. even if they just have a synthetic wicket its better than nothing, but youll be running to get balls all day.

i just took a drive to the club in my village and started using their nets. im not sure if they are privately owned or council or what, but the worse case scenario is someone from the club sees you and asks you not to unless you join their club. and then you just join lol. ive never had anyone say a word, i use their nets all summer despite playing for another club further away.

you dont need to find any good nets, just so long as the pitch is flat. not being able to see what the ball does off the pitch is really counter productive. you never know when youre landing it correctly, and when its just uneven bounce.

Hi Stevey,

As Cambridge is within my hunting ground, I know the rep of most of the local clubs. If I can be of any assistance, just ask and let me know where in Cambridge you are?

Liz Ward;396296 said:
Hi Stevey,

As Cambridge is within my hunting ground, I know the rep of most of the local clubs. If I can be of any assistance, just ask and let me know where in Cambridge you are?

I've actually been in contact with Milton CC (its literally, down the road about a mile) and they were friendly enough on the email etc, just need to get down to a nets session but they are in between Indoor and Outdoor at the moment! Ideally i'd like to get some practise in before then, so have actually emailed asking if they have anywhere to recommend, hopefully hear a reply soon :)

Liz Ward;396296 said:
Hi Stevey,

Ps i'm in chesterton, which is kinda between center of town and milton / histon.
Where abouts are you based?

SteveyD;396316 said:
I've actually been in contact with Milton CC (its literally, down the road about a mile) and they were friendly enough on the email etc, just need to get down to a nets session but they are in between Indoor and Outdoor at the moment! Ideally i'd like to get some practise in before then, so have actually emailed asking if they have anywhere to recommend, hopefully hear a reply soon :)

dont wait for them to have a net session, youll be bowling at batsmen! the only way for a leg spinner to practice is by themselves. with occasional pratice to a batsman just to hone your method. get down there whenever youve got spare time and bowl by yourself, thats the most useful practice.

Jim2109;396322 said:
dont wait for them to have a net session, youll be bowling at batsmen! the only way for a leg spinner to practice is by themselves. with occasional pratice to a batsman just to hone your method. get down there whenever youve got spare time and bowl by yourself, thats the most useful practice.

Ah see I emailed today asking if he new anywhere local that I could practise before the nets, with a hinting towards that and made it clear that I was looking for some private practising ;)

Have just had a reply and said the nets were put up a few days ago so are available for use. Win!

result! i need to take a wander down my village club to see if they have put their nets back up yet, they take them down over winter. hopefully they might even buy new ones this year because they were awful last year, holes everywhere. but i cant really complain, i dont even play for them lol.

the club i do play for has 3 net lanes up all year round. they were brand new last year so they are mint as well. its pretty much the only reason i play for them, their facilities are first rate. the net matting is a bit too new though, its thick and soft, so its hard to get the ball doing anything. the more local nets are old and on top of concrete, and much more realistic.

It's a shame you missed the nets at Hills Road; it is cricket specific so a nice venue for winter training.

Unfortunately, The Sycamores is used by everybody, including the local youths on a binge night and dog walkers but at least it is accessible anytime you wish.

I hope you will keep us informed of how the season goes.

I straddle Cambridgeshire and Essex but am based in Saffron Walden.

Liz Ward;396337 said:
It's a shame you missed the nets at Hills Road; it is cricket specific so a nice venue for winter training.

Unfortunately, The Sycamores is used by everybody, including the local youths on a binge night and dog walkers but at least it is accessible anytime you wish.

I hope you will keep us informed of how the season goes.

I straddle Cambridgeshire and Essex but am based in Saffron Walden.
I guess the Sycamores is actually owned by the council and leased out?
Hills road I used to go to school at, and have contacts who work there and have been for a few bowling machine sessions with a couple of friends before, its quite bouncy though!

SteveyD;396214 said:
Afternoon/evening/Morning whereever you may be!
I was just wondering what you find the best way to practise alone? Where I am is somewhat lacking in facilities so the best I can do is go down to the park (which is about as flat as a lumpy home made pancake)and find it very difficult to work on accuracy due to the constant randomness of the grass (bowlers paradise, if I played matches there!)
So if anyone has tips for practising alone, would be appreciated. I always have a few balls lying around and if i'm working at my desk its always there being spun whenever i'm thinking etc!

Try this drill - http://www.youtube.com/user/someblokecalleddave1 the video shot through the fence.

Or look at this link to my main blog and see what I do (pics and videos) http://mpafirsteleven.blogspot.com/2010/05/bowling-drill-for-legspin.html

Back