How to score off yorkers ?

Coolkar

How to score off yorkers ?

I was wondering........ how does one tackle a yorker delivery during the slog overs............ Taking a single everytime a bowler bowls a yorker (right on to the stumps) during the death overs will obviously reduce the scoring rate. So my asking point is by what ways can a batsman score boundaries off a yorker?

Live Cricket ........... Spread Cricket.......

Re: How to score off yorkers ?

If its a genuine toe crushing yorker, I don't think that you would be able to hit it for a boundary, it would probably be best to just take the single, but the only way i can see would be to squeeze it down to fine leg..it would be difficult though.

As above, a true yorker is difficult to score off and a single is normally a good result for the batsman. Other than that you can try walking out of the crease to make it into more of a full toss or just push through your shot in an attempt to get it out in the field for a two.

a method i have found works for me (very risky but) is to rock onto the front foot and flick it 2 square... in a game where we needed only 5 runs to win.. i am 1st drop, but i was batting with a number 11... if he got out it was done.. a yorker was bowled and i did this... successfully got me 4 runs...

with ALOT of practice it gets easier... i still prefer to block them out, but if the time comes for it... this is what i do.

i;m with mas, turn it into a full toss! if hes bowling a decent pass any bat on ball is a result!

and remember run teh first one hard! ore chance of a second!

I've found the best way is to "lick" the ball by putting the bat out in front of the pad and working the full toss..

But that only works if you don't go the forward press every single ball.. try and play forward or back depending on the length.. not rock back when you get a short one after pressing forward as far as you can every ball a la Geoffrey Marsh..

to be honest if its a good enough yorker then i'd be happy to just stop it hitting the wicket?

Most people york themselves.. even test players..

What I am saying is you should watch the length before resorting to the old "push out when you are in doubt"

I am a full back-foot player.. a yorker on leg-stump is a 4 ball to me most of the time

what about middle stump! surely a back foot player has less chance than a front foot player??

Thanx guys for ur response................ in the present context, is paddle sweep / scoop sweep a good option?

Cheers,
Coolkar

Stumped;28259 said:
what about middle stump! surely a back foot player has less chance than a front foot player??

I think a big front foot movement is more likely to cause a batsman being yorked because they play over the ball instead of going back and watching it all the way onto the bat under the eyes..

Can't remember Steven Waugh being yorked often.. Mark Waugh was..

You could always try the Misbah Ul-Haq option, stepping to leg and square-driving it for 4!!

As a sort of side note, I struggle with yorker length or slightly shorter balls outside leg stump. My initial reaction is to go back and try to flick them but I usually find myself wafting at it and missing. Going forward makes it hard to play around my pad/foot but would you say that forward or back was the better option?? Maybe half-way with your head further over??

I had me two absolute stunning yorkers today. Somehow i managed to get bat on both of them, and both went down to fine leg for four runs. I guess at times the best way to play a good yorker is to just get some bat on it and hope for the best. At times you just need to face up to the fact that you are going to get a good ball and you cant really do much about it.

What I do when I know the bowler is consistently bowling yorkers is to either take my stance a feet or two outside the crease or just go take your stance a feet inside the crease. Usually messes up a bowlers length. Or you could even walk out like how Robin Uthappa does and take it on the full or make the bowler bowl something else.

I heard the commentators during the T20 final say that you should step back, and make the yorker into a half volley, then you could do what you want with it.

Sounds risky! Essentially you'd be playing a half volley on the back foot and risking stepping back onto the stumps. Would it not make more sense to come forward and try to turn it into a full toss? Still risky, but I would think less so.

surely if it is a yaorker then it aint going to bounce to make it a volley of any kind?

Back