Hunting As A Pack - "bowling Unit"

someblokecalleddave

I frequently here that Jimmy Anderson and Stuart Broad either "bowl as a unit" or "hunt in packs". What does that mean? Anyone got any examples or do you do it yourself and what does it involve? Who instigates it and do you discuss what you're doing in the field between overs?

It means you put pressure on the batsman by causing an imbalance in their game. One example i have is in my local cricket one bloke bowls line angd length at medium pace and the other bowls very fast to unsettle the batsman, what happens is the batsman lose their footwork and usually end up going out to the line and length bowler next over.

"Hunting as a pack" to me means that all 11 people are doing all they can to keep their pressure on the batsmen. Both bowlers are bowling good area's and being economical, the field are intense and aren't letting any runs through, eventually leading to wickets tumbling.

I'd say it's when bowlers do different things to challenge the batsman. So, one guy who is wild but takes wickets and another guy who keeps it tight. 5-65 and 1-21 makes a "pack analysis" of 6-76 off 20, lovely!

I could also just mean all the bowlers are bowling well and not letting the batter have an end to score from.

I'd say it's when bowlers do different things to challenge the batsman. So, one guy who is wild but takes wickets and another guy who keeps it tight. 5-65 and 1-21 makes a "pack analysis" of 6-76 off 20, lovely!

I could also just mean all the bowlers are bowling well and not letting the batter have an end to score from.
You've got some good stuff on your website that I had a look at and found useful with regards to this.

Back