i can bowl in the nets

Re: i can bowl in the nets

legspinking;381901 said:
but in a game they dont often land on the pitch

Maybe if you get out of the nets and find a pitch in the middle and practise it might help?

the nets can do weird things for your accuracy. if you struggle out of the nets then the simple solution is to practice outside of the nets. if you dont want to collect balls then bowl on a bit of grass in front of a wall. the wall might interfere with your length perception though. the best thing to do is to find a friend to be wicket keeper!! and just bowl in the middle on a wicket with stumps.

when i first bowled in a match it felt really weird, it still does sometimes. it feels like your bowling is really exposed, i cant describe it in words. you just have to practice in the middle until you get accustomed to it, and then you can move between net practice and match practice more easily. it took me a couple of matches before i felt comfortable in the middle (e.g. wasnt totally nervous with every delivery). nerves are probably responsible for your current issues. just relax. hopefully youve got an easy going captain who just encourages you. if not then criticism just makes things worse!

Maybe it is a touch of nerves. If you can land them on the stumps on a good length in nets but not in a game situation. Any sort of a crowd, no matter how small, can be offputting to some bowlers.

Experience and being able to block out everything else and concentrate when you need to would be my answer. Keeping things simple and giving yourself something else to think about when in the field and not bowling or in between overs. Studying the batsmen at the crease is a good way to block stray unhelpful thoughts.

Jim2109;381912 said:
the nets can do weird things for your accuracy. if you struggle out of the nets then the simple solution is to practice outside of the nets. if you dont want to collect balls then bowl on a bit of grass in front of a wall. the wall might interfere with your length perception though. the best thing to do is to find a friend to be wicket keeper!! and just bowl in the middle on a wicket with stumps.

when i first bowled in a match it felt really weird, it still does sometimes. it feels like your bowling is really exposed, i cant describe it in words. you just have to practice in the middle until you get accustomed to it, and then you can move between net practice and match practice more easily. it took me a couple of matches before i felt comfortable in the middle (e.g. wasnt totally nervous with every delivery). nerves are probably responsible for your current issues. just relax. hopefully youve got an easy going captain who just encourages you. if not then criticism just makes things worse!

Yeah I agree with Jim here. I used to bowl well in practice situations, but then when faced with a match situation with everyone watching I used to get the yips. It was then made worse as soon as I bowled a wide, full toss or down the Leg side or just got hit for 4's or sixes. I think when you start out there's a tendency to feel really nervous and for it to get worse as soon as you make a mistake. The answer is to practice every hour of the day that you can so that you begin to get really good and confident that you can convert your practice 'State of mind' to a game.

Back