Imran Tahir

someblokecalleddave

I reckon this might be a good idea. Have threads dedicated to specific bowlers, it should bring in more viewers and contributors. We can put links in here to news, articles, pictures and videos relating to the bowlers and comment on how they're doing and what they're doing maybe post up diagram of their field layout and talk about their strategies?

So, lets start. I've been watching him today against Sri Lanka and the main thing I've noticed is that he doesn't spin the ball that much and that his seam presentation is very inconsistent and most scrambled. His strength seems to be his accuracy - line and length.

I have never seen Imran Tahir bowl any of his deliveries with a conventional seam position. If you take a close look at his grip you will notice that his index finger doesn't rest along the seam. He has a perfect body alignment and gives it a good rip so I think if he stops bowling with a scrambled seam and starts bowling with a conventional seam, he should start getting the ball to drift.

I have never seen Imran Tahir bowl any of his deliveries with a conventional seam position. If you take a close look at his grip you will notice that his index finger doesn't rest along the seam. He has a perfect body alignment and gives it a good rip so I think if he stops bowling with a scrambled seam and starts bowling with a conventional seam, he should start getting the ball to drift.
The thing is though, these guys are pros, with experienced coaches and slo-mo video analysis, and there are a LOT of them bowling with a scrambled seam. I can't help but suspect that not only are they aware of it, they're doing it quite deliberately. It's usually the ones who don't turn the ball too much and have a good googly - Tahir, Bishoo and Rashid to name three of this type. I suspect the scrambled seam is there to stop the really good batsman picking the ball by reading the angle of spin. Just a thought.

I suspect the scrambled seam is there to stop the really good batsman picking the ball by reading the angle of spin. Just a thought.

Warne was saying on tv a couple of years ago about how Allan Border told him he might have to scramble the seam a bit more to the better batsmen. That was after their first net session together and Border took him apart with footwork.

The thing is though, these guys are pros, with experienced coaches and slo-mo video analysis, and there are a LOT of them bowling with a scrambled seam. I can't help but suspect that not only are they aware of it, they're doing it quite deliberately. It's usually the ones who don't turn the ball too much and have a good googly - Tahir, Bishoo and Rashid to name three of this type. I suspect the scrambled seam is there to stop the really good batsman picking the ball by reading the angle of spin. Just a thought.

Agree with you Spiderlounge. But is it worth sacrificing the drift for disguising the googly? Most professionals say that it is almost impossible to play a ball that move in towards them in the air before spinning away sharply off the pitch.

Tahir was bowling some real filth to the sri lankans in that last Test wasn't he. Not what you'd call a spin friendly pitch but he was pulling them short all over the place, was horrible to watch at times! Just an amateur perspective obviously but I think he's having a few issues with his action. He doesn't seem to be getting through his action properly and his arm looks a bit on the high side. If you compare him to Qadir, who i think is quite a similar bowler in many ways, he's just lacking that explosion in the final moments that really gets something on the ball.

Tahir was bowling some real filth to the sri lankans in that last Test wasn't he. Not what you'd call a spin friendly pitch but he was pulling them short all over the place, was horrible to watch at times! Just an amateur perspective obviously but I think he's having a few issues with his action. He doesn't seem to be getting through his action properly and his arm looks a bit on the high side. If you compare him to Qadir, who i think is quite a similar bowler in many ways, he's just lacking that explosion in the final moments that really gets something on the ball.

I reckon we should start an Abdul Qadir page as well! The 2nd Googly here is a good un. Robelinda needs to be congratulated once again!

I'd rather have Botha back in the South African team. His action might be questionable, but I think he's a way better bowler than Tahir. Botha's only problem is that he hasn't played first class cricket since the end of 2010 or sth.

I wonder how Tahir took this, he seems to be quite a sensitive bloke, I bet he's gutted. http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-south-africa-2012/content/current/story/571732.html

Same thing occurred to me, even though its a freak accident I wondered whether Tahir might be thinking to himself "If I just hadn't bowled that bosie..." Terrible thing to happen, but I'm amazed he wasn't wearing a helmet which may have prevented this happening. But then again its such a freak accident you may as well blame the sun not for shining and that had it been he may have been wearing sunglasses.

Long time no speak - I've been busy with other interests and their associated internet activity, but I thought I'd log in and see what the leg-spin connoisseurs thought of Tahir today. I only saw the Channel 5 highlights, but I must say I'm not impressed. His googly seems to turn better than his stock delivery, and, by the looks of this video (1:11):

he advertises it by Rotating his wrist in the gather stage. Trouble is, he started dropping short repeatedly, so he doesn't seem like a Benaud type who won't turn it big but will use placement and variation of flight. I also thought he looked a bit one-paced.

imran tahir is an excellent bowler , He is from Pakistan so thats why spin bowling is in his blood . I dont know why he is not being giv3en a chance to play for S.africa on a regular basis .

imran tahir is an excellent bowler , He is from Pakistan so thats why spin bowling is in his blood . I dont know why he is not being giv3en a chance to play for S.africa on a regular basis .

I like the blokes temprement and his enthusiasm, but he doesn't look like the finished article, having said that 3 wickets today and everyone pretty much played him with respect, whereas you look at Swanne and his finger spin stuff 1 wicket and taken to the cleaners.

Tahir looks a little ropey on several fronts, he doesn't look as though he spins the ball that hard and accuracy seems to be his priority, but the ball was turning today and overall he bowled well. The presentation of the seam is always as far as I've seen scrambled, you never see the seam rotating nicely around itself and yeah his Wrong Un is by far the stronger delivery. Still like him though, always interesting to watch, especially when Warne's on hand to commentate on what he's doing.

Long time no speak - I've been busy with other interests and their associated internet activity, but I thought I'd log in and see what the leg-spin connoisseurs thought of Tahir today. I only saw the Channel 5 highlights, but I must say I'm not impressed. His googly seems to turn better than his stock delivery, and, by the looks of this video (1:11):

he advertises it by Rotating his wrist in the gather stage. Trouble is, he started dropping short repeatedly, so he doesn't seem like a Benaud type who won't turn it big but will use placement and variation of flight. I also thought he looked a bit one-paced.

Good to see you on here Chris.

I like to see Tahir given a go but like GoldenArm I have doubts about his action and consistency. Tahir's got a high arm action that lends itself more toward googlies and topspinners (ala Mushtaq Ahmed) which is fine but that loose front arm worries me. Unfortunately Tahir seems to mix up his flight too much and tends to bowl more rubbish than what you'd expect from a test spinner, is this maybe because of the role he's been given is muddling his mindset a little bit? Sometimes I think that because it's been a while since SAf had a decent attacking spinner that they don't know what to do with him and that kind of came through with some of the defensive field settings, anyone else got thoughts on that?

Anyway, good to see him amongst the wickets in the 1st test and looking forward to seeing him bowl in the next 2 (unfortunately through delayed coverage but that's life).

Back