Inability To Get Top Spin

DutchGuy

Since I temporarily left the forum I've switched from bowling SLC to SLA. If you look at my figures, it went rather well, picking up 12 wickets at 21.00 in matches that we mostly lost quite badly, however if you purely look at the way I bowled, it went terrible. Although I was quite consistent in line and length, I could not get any topspin on the ball, and I always tend to undercut it, unless I'm bowling to a LHB. I have had trouble finishing my action in the past, but this year it didn't make a difference whether I finished my action or not. Any tips?
Thanks in advance.

Since I temporarily left the forum I've switched from bowling SLC to SLA. If you look at my figures, it went rather well, picking up 12 wickets at 21.00 in matches that we mostly lost quite badly, however if you purely look at the way I bowled, it went terrible. Although I was quite consistent in line and length, I could not get any topspin on the ball, and I always tend to undercut it, unless I'm bowling to a LHB. I have had trouble finishing my action in the past, but this year it didn't make a difference whether I finished my action or not. Any tips?
Thanks in advance.

Just to check with you:
SLA = Left-arm finger spin
SLC = Left-arm wrist spin

If so then it's most likely because, with finger spin, you have to get your hand over the ball to add top-spin whereas as with wrist-spin you get it behind and slightly underneath the ball. Try really concentrating on getting a high arm and getting your hand right over the ball and see if that sorts it out.

P.S. Why did you stop bowling wrist-spin?

Just to check with you:

If so then it's most likely because, with finger spin, you have to get your hand over the ball to add top-spin whereas as with wrist-spin you get it behind and slightly underneath the ball. Try really concentrating on getting a high arm and getting your hand right over the ball and see if that sorts it out.

Yes I would also like to know why you stop bowling leggies!

As an off spinner the wrist position to acquire top spin is much more difficult than the wrist position for back spin. Have a look at the Cloverdale video series and you'll see how much easier it is for wrist spinners to achieve lots of top spin. You don't always need top spin, side spin can be enough if you can combine it with backspin occasionally. Even some offies in international cricket don't use top spin at all. When you practice just set aside a period of time and work on getting some top spin, but all you need to dismiss the average club batsman is to bowl two big ripping offies, then a straighter ball. Simple as that:D... Variations in pace, line, flight, length, angle, turn and bounce are very effective. Top spin is also great, but not a prerequisite to be a good off spin bowler.

Just to check with you:

You're right about the SLC and SLA thing. The reasons why I stopped bowling wrist-spin are first of all the short season in the Netherlands. Because of the divisional structure, and the short summer when I also have my main vacation I'm lucky if I play more than 10 matches. The second reason is the opposition. Mostly if you play cricket in Holland, you also play hockey and if hockey is your main summer sport than you prefer the leg side to the off side and you'd rather have the ball spinning into you than having it spin away. By the way, I was already able to bowl off spin and when I picked up more wickets with it (compared to bowling wrist spin) while I didn't practise off spin it was sort of the last straw.
Thanks for the advice and I'll work on it :) .

Yes I would also like to know why you stop bowling leggies!

As an off spinner the wrist position to acquire top spin is much more difficult than the wrist position for back spin. Have a look at the Cloverdale video series and you'll see how much easier it is for wrist spinners to achieve lots of top spin. You don't always need top spin, side spin can be enough if you can combine it with backspin occasionally. Even some offies in international cricket don't use top spin at all. When you practice just set aside a period of time and work on getting some top spin, but all you need to dismiss the average club batsman is to bowl two big ripping offies, then a straighter ball. Simple as that:D... Variations in pace, line, flight, length, angle, turn and bounce are very effective. Top spin is also great, but not a prerequisite to be a good off spin bowler.
Thanks for the advice and the video, I found it very helpful. The thing is though, to bowl a ripping off break I still need to be able to bowl a topspinner and work from there, because of the angle you create by bowling round the wicket and the fact that right now I'm bowling what are essentialy arm balls with a different grip.

Thanks for the advice and the video, I found it very helpful. The thing is though, to bowl a ripping off break I still need to be able to bowl a topspinner and work from there, because of the angle you create by bowling round the wicket and the fact that right now I'm bowling what are essentialy arm balls with a different grip.[/quote

Have a look at this video:

Going around the wicket is a very good angle against left and right handers, but you don't have to rip the ball square from around. A little straightening against right handed batsman is enough (preferably more though) and against the lefties some turn away. If you don't turn the ball much but want to, just try and spin it more! And try to get to a clean side spin off break first, then the 45 degreeoff break, and finally the top spinner (maybe the doosra if you really want a challenge!)

Thank you so much for the advice and videos, and about the ripping it square part , I was probably a bit overwhelmed by a guy I saw at practice, who's in the Dutch U19 national team, ripping them square and getting consistent drift drop and bounce which made every delivery unplayable for even the best batsman at the practice.

Thank you so much for the advice and videos, and about the ripping it square part , I was probably a bit overwhelmed by a guy I saw at practice, who's in the Dutch U19 national team, ripping them square and getting consistent drift drop and bounce which made every delivery unplayable for even the best batsman at the practice.

Drift, drop and turn, now that's a great offie for you:D...
Have you tried holding the ball like Swanny?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ovHMfdHvy30

Don't know how big your hands are, but it might work for you if they are built like his. Mine are way to small to use this grip, but I use a Muttiah Muralitharan style off break, inaccurate, but 2 times more revs than a normal offie:)

They look just like his, but I can't bowl his doosra or top spinner:( It works if you have flexible wrists and shoulders, but you can always practice them to make them more flexible!

Back