Inaugural Panthers captain named

FishyD

The first man to be awarded the captaincy at new club East Fremantle has been announced as the medium-pacer Timmy Kitchin. He has primarily been known for his performances with SA under Fishy in the past, and producing solid, if rarely match-winning, efforts with the ball. Kitchin, 28, was understandably jubilant at the press conference announcing the appointment.

"It's an honour to lead this young side and club in their first seasons of being part of CA. A lot of the boys feel very positive about what we can achieve here, and whilst I won't be the one who leads them the whole way on that journey, I'm very proud that Fishy has asked me to lead the squad through these developmental years."

Some in the media have questioned Kitchin's lack of experience in leadership roles, he has never been captain, or even vice-captain before, but Fishy played down such comments. "Timmy was a trusted lieutenant of Stocksy back in SA, I wouldn't have appointed Graham as a captain straight out of the draft like i did unless I had trusted older members of the playing staff like Timmy to back him up. I hope he imparts some of that wisdom to our younger players, and particularly our vice-captain, Brad Painter."

Painter, who recently turned 21, is the obvious long-term choice for the position of captain having held leadership positions in the age all-Australian teams as well as being the two-time captain of the West Australian U-20s.

"Timmy is a great player, and was probably next on our list to keep at SA, after Stocks, Sidebottom and Pimblebee. His experience will be invaluable for the East Fremantle squad as they build towards promotion to Premier Division."

Back