Indian Cricket League

s_ossy

Indian Cricket League

I have read quite a bit about the ICL but still not quite sure how it works? Get the feeling its a bit like Kolpak but then why are so many current internationals joining...how does it work? ::)

Re: Indian Cricket League

S_ossy,

I think the best way to view the ICL is to see it as a big tournament which includes invited players, much like the Hong Kong sixes.

Each team will be comprised of current payers from India, up and coming Indian youngsters and a number of established overseas starts, such as Lara, Solanki or Nixon.

There is no need for players to qualify on Nationality as the ICL is an unsanctioned event and not adhering to normal first class rules.

ICL is the cricket content of Zee Telefilms. They made bids to show cricket on their channel but did not get the chance so they decided to make their own cricket tounrament. Each team can has 4 international players and they pay a lot so many stars joined.

Pure rivalry between ICL and BCCI.
Only retired internationals and discarded national players are into the team.
I hope in near future players from state/club level are given an opportunity to play.
There is a pool of cricketing talent worthy to be try-ed out.

The ICL is starting soon so I am excited to see how the matches are. If there is competiton then it will be successful. ICL wont be able to develop talent because the players are banned. ICL only want to earn money from cricket.

ICL has announced its schedule
Schedule
Nov 30: Chandigarh Lions v Delhi Jets

Dec 1: Chennai Superstars v Kolkata Tigers; Mumbai Champs v Hyderabad Heroes

Dec 2: Delhi Jets v Hyderabad Heroes; Chandigarh Lions v Kolkata Tigers

Dec 3: Mumbai Champs v Chennai Superstars

Dec 5: Hyderbad Heroes v Chandigarh Lions

Dec 7: Mumbai Champs v Delhi Jets

Dec 8: Chennai Superstars v Chandigarh Lions; Delhi Jets v Kolkata Tigers

Dec 9: Hyderabad Heroes v Chennai Superstars; Mumbai Champs v Chandigarh Lions

Dec 10: Mumbai Champs v Kolkata Tigers

Dec 12: Chennai Superstars v Delhi Jets; Hyderbad Heroes v Kolkata Tigers

Dec 14: Semi-final I

Dec 15: 5/6 classification; Semi-final II

Dec 16: 3/4 classification; Final
Full Article

Even though it lacks the star power of IPL, I'm looking forward to watching some Indian domestic players.

Supporting and backing the Champs to win this tournament for no other reason than the fact that they have Lara and the three quickest bowlers in the tournament in Hayward, Van der Wrath and Rakesh Patel.

I support the Mumbai Champs because i live in Mumbai :D
Schedule is good the matches will get over in two weeks.

Lara disappointed with boards' ICL reaction
Cricinfo staff
November 25, 2007

Brian Lara, the former West Indies batsman, has expressed his disappointment at the national boards' decision to ban players who have signed up to next week's Indian Cricket League (ICL).

Source: cricinfo

I totally agree with Lara's sentiments about the treatment of the ICL.

Its all the fault of bcci. they are responsible for the poor state of indian domestic cricket and when someone tries to improve it they wont let them. some of the men incharge are hardly intersted in indias success.

deer said:
Its all the fault of bcci. they are responsible for the poor state of Indian domestic cricket and when someone tries to improve it they wont let them. some of the men in charge are hardly interested in India's success.

Cricket in India flourishes because people are madly passionate about cricket.
Whoever is involved in Cricketing matters indirectly gets publicity.
No wonder we see lots of big & small politicians involved in cricket administration.

I read in todays news paper that ICL is having trouble with sponsorship. They will show it on zee sports but its bad because its not popular. they should show it on ten sports and zee sports both for more popularity.

its t20 cricket which is immensely popular in india so i cant understand the difficulites in finding sponsership. do you have any source for the news?
just 4 days to go im looking forward to it. i hope it lives up to the hype.

BCCI is making every effort to bring down ICL.
So sponsorship will be an issue in the initial phase.
Once the games get media coverage and hype is created;then it will smooth sailing.
News channel/papers are the right sources to check the progress of ICL :)

Yeah they are discouraged because if they sponser ICL then they will not get to sponser BCCI matches and lose out bigger audience that will watch the national mathes. I think if the twenty20 torunament is successful then we will have more support for ICL.

Back