Indoor Cricket - Tactics?

mas cambios

Indoor Cricket - Tactics?

For those that read the blogs, you'll see that I have the first indoor game of the season later on today.

I haven't really played many indoor games (well, none to be honest, at least not competitive) and I'm wondering if you lot have any tips, especially when it comes to bowling and fielding.

Anything is welcome, no matter how out there you think it is, it might just give me that extra 1% which means victory instead of defeat.

Re: Indoor Cricket - Tactics?

When bowling, you should try either bowling a very fullish line, a straightish line, or try and bowl at their hips and get up into their chest area. Full balls can be hard to get away, particularly when they're swinging and have got some speed behind them. However, you run the risk of getting carted as their is a chance they'll turn into half volleys.

The chest area is incredibly hard to get away provided you can bowl it in just the right areas, there's a good chance you'll get a couple of easy wickets due to top edges or you might get constantly chopped onto the leg-side. Bowling at the hips is generally defensive and really only allows the batsman to score one run from each ball. If your leg-side fielder is good enough you may get the occasional run-out.

A straightish line is one to start off with to see what the batsman is like technically, some batters will take the single down the pitch but you might be able to get a few edges or stumpings if you can bowl the ball in the right areas.

With fielding you should be looking to dispose of the ball in the quickest amount of time possible. Slapping or flicking the ball is one aspect of the game you should work hard on. If you can master this, you will greatly increase the chances of getting a run-out as well as putting more pressure on the batters. You should also wait for the ball to come to you whilst fielding, don't chase the ball (particularly in the corners) otherwise it'll just get away from you.

Hope that helps. @|

Having just played a game, most of what you posted seems spot on. The ball short of a length, aimed at the hip or chest seems very difficult to get away, especially with a hint of swing.

I bowled a left hander with a full inswinger (probably a little too full to be a yorker) and found that line to also be pretty hard to hit.

Fielding really is about getting the ball away as quickly as possible.

Have to say that I really enjoyed it although we were playing the strongest team in the league who had some very good bowlers.

mas cambios;275452 said:
Having just played a game, most of what you posted seems spot on. The ball short of a length, aimed at the hip or chest seems very difficult to get away, especially with a hint of swing.

I bowled a left hander with a full inswinger (probably a little too full to be a yorker) and found that line to also be pretty hard to hit.

Swing will help your cause too when bowling. It can be very hard to get the ball away if there's some swing on it. The ball at the chest is one the best balls you can bowl, very hard to get away and you can always pick up a wicket if the fend-off is poor.

If none of that works, try the old yorker.

mas cambios said:
Fielding really is about getting the ball away as quickly as possible.

Have to say that I really enjoyed it although we were playing the strongest team in the league who had some very good bowlers.

Yes, the quicker you are the more chance you'll have of effecting a wicket. Flicking or slapping won't come to you straight away. It'll take a few games for you to be able to use either method, then it's just a question of perfecting the skill. If you want to improve your fielding, practice as much as you can.

Tapping is an art.

Some say it may be a little flukey but if you're aiming it to hit the stumps 100% of the time then it becomes a skill.

It takes time to master, one of the most enjoyable things of indoor when perfected.

Where would or indeed did you field mas cambios?

Bowling samrt gets your more wickets than just trying to bowl at 150 kph. I generally notice that bowling a tad slower induces more swing. Short pitched deliveries are a tough to master, if its too short you'll just get chopped by a semi decent batsmen for 2 every time.

As Ljp stated the chest area is the hardest area to play off, or the legside ball that isnt called wide. Very tough to get those away without running your partner out. :)

The more you playthe better you get, as long as you learn from your mistakes.

Big Man;276140 said:
The more you playthe better you get, as long as you learn from your mistakes.

Cheers for the advice. Going to be a bit of a slow start I reckon, as we only have games every other week until Xmas. League gets into full swing after that.

Batting is the thing I'm going to have to really work on, I felt a little lost week, no game plan at all, which cost me in the end.

Remember, side nets.

2 runs every time (as long you dont get run out)

Knocking it around instead of blazing at every ball is just as effective, if not moreso.

Ljp will confirm this theory.

I am a very defensive indoor batsmen,prefering to hit the sides, chop it down to the off side or flick it to the onside. Vaery rarely try and take a quick on, usually end up playing far too straight.

Outdoor, different story. :)

Missed this the first time around mate.

I'm a compiler in indoor as well. I'll judge the length of the delivery, if its short enough I'll play almost a baseball type shot to try and get the back net, but anything fuller, I'll just play into the side nets, run a single and get two runs a ball.

Bowling, as what the Big Man said, if I slow it down to medium pace I get a lot of outswing, however against good batting they can use the extra time to have a swing, so I tend to bowl fast yorker length at the stumps, with a slower ball as the change up delivery.

Another trick I've tried if they are just working you for twos all day is the short pitched delivery, outdoor players will tend to hook it and often get caught off the net, where the more gumby players will just duck it or randomly swing the bat at it.

If the batsmen like to go the stright hit, sometimes I'll bowl a yorker delivery right at the edge of the pitch- which they tend to leave thinking it will go wide- tricky to get right and any bit of swing stuffs you- but its an option! ;)

Fielding- I've fielded everywhere. Up close around the bat, you basically only have time for a slap onto the stumps or flicks. Mid court, if they hit it hard enough and you catch it cleanly, you might have time to turn and throw the bowlers stumps down conventionally, but you have to be quick.

That's enough for now! ;)

Big Man;277830 said:
Remember, side nets.

2 runs every time (as long you dont get run out)

Knocking it around instead of blazing at every ball is just as effective, if not moreso.

Ljp will confirm this theory.

I am a very defensive indoor batsmen,prefering to hit the sides, chop it down to the off side or flick it to the onside. Vaery rarely try and take a quick on, usually end up playing far too straight.

Outdoor, different story. :)

Yes, Big Man has curbed his ways. Now he's a much more mature batsman focused on hitting the side nets rather than going for glory.

Got a partnership of 42 without hitting past halfway. It's the simplest way to go. Constantly going for the back net will get you nowhere.

Mas,

Ive just started playing in an indoor league The HECC one in Sawbridgworth. I had never played before this year.

I love it. Different Game though. So fast and quick thinking.

Things i have learnt.

Play for the gaps Hit the wall and Run gets 3 runs in our league. (1 for the wall 2 for crossing)

Always Back up at the non strikers End, Hit and run. Keep rotating the Strike.

Bowlers have to bowl Full or just short into the Ribs.

As a Keeper i stand up to every one! Of course wearing my Lid!

As a Batsman, Slaughter any bouncers with whatever shot u like to the back wall.

Were currently lying in 3rd we have won 4 out of 5 Games.

Overall its a Good Laugh!

Ljp86;277858 said:
Yes, Big Man has curbed his ways. Now he's a much more mature batsman focused on hitting the side nets rather than going for glory.

Got a partnership of 42 without hitting past halfway. It's the simplest way to go. Constantly going for the back net will get you nowhere.
We've got half our team as young guys. They're the types who go for glory every week. Back net or nothing! Some weeks it'll come off and they'll walk off on 50-60. other weeks they'll get 10! ;)

Us older heads who play the nets might not get the big scores, but we'll average 35-40 each week. And we have a saying- if you can't defend anything over 120, you don't deserve to win the game! :)

Stumped;277926 said:
Mas,

Ive just started playing in an indoor league The HECC one in Sawbridgworth. I had never played before this year.

I love it. Different Game though. So fast and quick thinking.

Things i have learnt.

Play for the gaps Hit the wall and Run gets 3 runs in our league. (1 for the wall 2 for crossing)

Always Back up at the non strikers End, Hit and run. Keep rotating the Strike.

Bowlers have to bowl Full or just short into the Ribs.

As a Keeper i stand up to every one! Of course wearing my Lid!

As a Batsman, Slaughter any bouncers with whatever shot u like to the back wall.

Were currently lying in 3rd we have won 4 out of 5 Games.

Overall its a Good Laugh!
Don't forget though- don't back up too much- because if they hit it straight down the pitch straight at the back net fielder, it easier for the non-striker to turn around and stay, then it would be for the batsman to run - and more than likely get out! ;)

el-capitano;277946 said:
Us older heads who play the nets might not get the big scores, but we'll average 35-40 each week. And we have a saying- if you can't defend anything over 120, you don't deserve to win the game! :)

Correct.

We have out n out sloggers in our team and amn they get me.

Yeah sometimes theyget 50+ but against decent bowlers, or in pressure games, eg Semis and GF's they struggle, it bugs me.

Ljp and I havent scored less than 30 this season and we have hit the back net probably twice, three maybe four times between us in 8 weeks.

Solid partnership.

Big Man;277994 said:
Correct.

We have out n out sloggers in our team and amn they get me.

Yeah sometimes theyget 50+ but against decent bowlers, or in pressure games, eg Semis and GF's they struggle, it bugs me.

Ljp and I havent scored less than 30 this season and we have hit the back net probably twice, three maybe four times between us in 8 weeks.

Solid partnership.
I know what you mean- in fact we can almost tell by now when a bowler comes on whether our guys are going to get out or not. Anywhere full on the stumps and its bye bye at least 2 or 3 times an over! ;)

it depends on the batsmen,

we all play differently, we understand how to bat with each other, some are stand and deliver batsmen and other more of the athletic type!

Second go at it coming later on today, which will be interesting. Have a better idea what it's all about now so I'm looking for an improved performance.

We'll need some, we're a league too high at the moment. Blooding a few youngsters as well, so anything other than a defeat is a bonus.

i find that going for run out every cahnce is good, if you miss its only 1 overthrow and if you hit then only 5 more wickets to go, so far i have got 4 run outs from 3 games.

Run-outs are very important and a good source of wickets. Think we missed about 5 or 6 chances on Sunday, although it didn't cost us in the end.

Back