Injuries After Leg Spin?

shahidpak

Hello on sunday i bowled about 6-7 overs and from yesterday it hurt me alot everywhere ...... normal..
but knoow its all ok exept ly bowling shoulder the right one all around it so that means it hurts on the shoulder a bit between the shoulder and neck and a wweeeee bit on the back of the shoulder anythinfg i do with my shoulder itb hurts what should i do apart from resting (stretches.... etc)
im even forced to write with my left arm :(

Hello on sunday i bowled about 6-7 overs and from yesterday it hurt me alot everywhere ...... normal..
but knoow its all ok exept ly bowling shoulder the right one all around it so that means it hurts on the shoulder a bit between the shoulder and neck and a wweeeee bit on the back of the shoulder anythinfg i do with my shoulder itb hurts what should i do apart from resting (stretches.... etc)
im even forced to write with my left arm :(

It's all normal and fine. In a few days it will go away. I've also been at a stage where my bowling shoulder was aching and hurting all over. But I still bowled regularly and it went away entirely. Now I can bowl thousands of deliveries a day and won't feel a thing the next morning. It's just your body getting used to the unusual rotation of the shoulder and all those types of things.

It's all normal and fine. In a few days it will go away. I've also been at a stage where my bowling shoulder was aching and hurting all over. But I still bowled regularly and it went away entirely. Now I can bowl thousands of deliveries a day and won't feel a thing the next morning. It's just your body getting used to the unusual rotation of the shoulder and all those types of things.
Fine but the problem is im 13 about to grow up so will it be a problem and someone told me that i should only bowl a few deliveries because it can damage my rotator cuff...
And because im 13 and 1 meter 65cm (i think thats 5ft 6inches) so i need a lot of energy to propel the ball past the 22 yards???

Fine but the problem is im 13 about to grow up so will it be a problem and someone told me that i should only bowl a few deliveries because it can damage my rotator cuff...
And because im 13 and 1 meter 65cm (i think thats 5ft 6inches) so i need a lot of energy to propel the ball past the 22 yards???

It may damage your rotator cuff if your not careful, I do have rubber-like wrist and shoulders, so I'm not prone to any kind of bowling related injuries. I'm not sure if being short means you have to put more energy into the delivery, I'm 14 and only 1.63 meters and still propel the ball over 30 meters with ease if I want to. That's because I bowl a lot! The more you bowl, the more accustomed your shoulders get to bowling, simple as that.

It may damage your rotator cuff if your not careful, I do have rubber-like wrist and shoulders, so I'm not prone to any kind of bowling related injuries. I'm not sure if being short means you have to put more energy into the delivery, I'm 14 and only 1.63 meters and still propel the ball over 30 meters with ease if I want to. That's because I bowl a lot! The more you bowl, the more accustomed your shoulders get to bowling, simple as that.

from the camera it didnt look like you were 14 lol but know that my shoulder is currently hurting should i go for a bowl like.. tomorrow even tho it hurts?

from the camera it didnt look like you were 14 lol but know that my shoulder is currently hurting should i go for a bowl like.. tomorrow even tho it hurts?

Yes, warm up decently and thoroughly then bowl a few overs and if you still have aches and throbs in your shoulder stop bowling. But if you can persist you should keep on bowling for as long as possible.

Shahidpak, you're right to be concerned. If you're not one of those types that are constantly exercises with good core strength and a high level of fitness, you do need to be cautious - warming up is pretty much essential for a start. There doesn't seem to be any directives aimed at slow bowlers, but rotator cuff injuries are serious and need to be looked after. If your shoulder or arm hurts, I'd suggest resting it for a while and wait for it to get better. If you give it a rest I'd say that you need to do some additional exercise on a regular basis, or exercise it bowling in shorter practice spells building up the strength in your arm/shoulder. But take notice of your body warning that you're over doing it. The rotator cuff if damaged to the point where it needs surgery never recovers fully and is basically game over if it's damaged to that extent.

Shahidpak, you're right to be concerned. If you're not one of those types that are constantly exercises with good core strength and a high level of fitness, you do need to be cautious - warming up is pretty much essential for a start. There doesn't seem to be any directives aimed at slow bowlers, but rotator cuff injuries are serious and need to be looked after. If your shoulder or arm hurts, I'd suggest resting it for a while and wait for it to get better. If you give it a rest I'd say that you need to do some additional exercise on a regular basis, or exercise it bowling in shorter practice spells building up the strength in your arm/shoulder. But take notice of your body warning that you're over doing it. The rotator cuff if damaged to the point where it needs surgery never recovers fully and is basically game over if it's damaged to that extent.

The rotator cuff injury has never happened to me. I am very active and warm-up correctly but I have tried dangerous variations like the flipper, doosra, and have bowled over 50 overs of leg breaks in target practice in one day! (and 30 the next day) Is the rotator cuff very injury prone in young cricket players or does it only start to get injured often once your fully developed?

Jacques, I don't know where you live or what your life is like. But as a kid back in the 60's and 70's I'd have run and walked everywhere, I'd have played outside 247 if the weather was good, active and constantly doing stuff - throwing, climbing trees and I had the ability to throw stones accurately for miles, all day long. If you're one of those kids and that's supplemented by a varied and good diet, I'm sure your body, along with warm ups will serve you well and if it starts to go wrong it'll let you know (pain).

As you get older or if you're a kid that spends most of the day on XBOX, PS3 etc and your parents drive you everywhere, the chances are you're going to run the risk of increased chances of damage. Like you with constant practice in a day a few years back even though I was 49/50 I'd spend some days bowling for hours and hours and not be affected. So if it's something you do regularly you're probably going to be fine.

Jacques, I don't know where you live or what your life is like. But as a kid back in the 60's and 70's I'd have run and walked everywhere, I'd have played outside 247 if the weather was good, active and constantly doing stuff - throwing, climbing trees and I had the ability to throw stones accurately for miles, all day long. If you're one of those kids and that's supplemented by a varied and good diet, I'm sure your body, along with warm ups will serve you well and if it starts to go wrong it'll let you know (pain).

As you get older or if you're a kid that spends most of the day on XBOX, PS3 etc and your parents drive you everywhere, the chances are you're going to run the risk of increased chances of damage. Like you with constant practice in a day a few years back even though I was 49/50 I'd spend some days bowling for hours and hours and not be affected. So if it's something you do regularly you're probably going to be fine.

So the more active you are the smaller the chance is that your rotator cuff is going to be injured? I was always under the impression that if your bowling shoulder hurts (and mine has felt like I've been in a torture chamber all evening) it only means that it's stiff and you have to have a bowl to get it loose again. Every time that I bowl I lose all feeling in my shoulder, so even if it hurts I can't feel it, I can still hit myself on the shoulder and I'll feel it, but I don't feel pressure when I'm bowling.

In cricket warm-up videos the rotator cuff is always discussed and it's a muscle (muscle?) that gets injured very often in cricket. I've been playing cricket for 2 years now, I bowl all day long on good days in the in- and off-season, dive in the field, dive for the crease when I'm batting, dive for caught and bowled chances, and do lots of other diving, throwing and bowling! The worst injuries I've ever had are a nearly broken middle finger from a misstimed catch, a bleeding spinning finger, and grassburns on my elbows and knees. No shoulder injuries at all. That's quite qurious because sometimes my warm-up is just a few waves of the arm and two warm-up leg breaks.

Obviously in the higher level of cricket you are more prone to these injuries, but if I can bowl right through any pain, am I really at risk of a rotator cuff injury at all?

Jacques, it sounds as though you have concerns and as though you half believe you should be resting it for a while, in which case rest it maybe? Other than that, PM Liz Ward, I'm sure she still looks in on the odd occasion and she's an expert.

When you wake up in the morning does your arm feel as though it doesn't work and you can't lift it? Then it takes a few seconds for it to start working?

The rotator cuff is like a rubber band, once it's stretched too much it can never be as elastic as it ever was before. If you catch it before it tears too much it'll repair itself. If in doubt I would definitely rest it or go and see a doctor. Have a look at the stuff on the internet re rotator cuffs, you'll read about how important it is.

Jacques, it sounds as though you have concerns and as though you half believe you should be resting it for a while, in which case rest it maybe? Other than that, PM Liz Ward, I'm sure she still looks in on the odd occasion and she's an expert.

When you wake up in the morning does your arm feel as though it doesn't work and you can't lift it? Then it takes a few seconds for it to start working?

The rotator cuff is like a rubber band, once it's stretched too much it can never be as elastic as it ever was before. If you catch it before it tears too much it'll repair itself. If in doubt I would definitely rest it or go and see a doctor. Have a look at the stuff on the internet re rotator cuffs, you'll read about how important it is.

Last year and last season I was always having problems with aches and pains in my bowling shoulder, but these days I don't feel them at all. Only a little stiffness in my shoulder before I start to bowl which goes away once I'm done warming up.

As far as I know my shoulder is under almost no stress when I bowl, because I barely use it at all. I don't have very strong shoulders (which is why my bowling shoulder was sore after bowling last season) but I can still bowl quick, about 90 k/h when I'm bowling at my quickest (without spin) I think it's because my wrist powers my delivery more than my shoulder. Last season I had a few photo's of my action and release (they were on my phone and got lost when it was wiped) and my wrist wasn't only going forwards and to the right, but from an 80 degrees bend backwards to full 80 degrees forwards extension.

My wrist is flexible, enough for a wrist doosra over 15 meters, but is wrist power alone enough to make up for a lack of shoulder power? Of course my shoulder does give lots of speed and energy to the ball, but I feel the real energy and speed coming from the wrist!

Perhaps that's why I haven't injured my rotator cuff even though I've been so wreckless? I'll have a look on the intenet for some rotator cuff information, and a few more wrist exercises, just to be sure I don't injure anything.

Last year and last season I was always having problems with aches and pains in my bowling shoulder, but these days I don't feel them at all. Only a little stiffness in my shoulder before I start to bowl which goes away once I'm done warming up.

As far as I know my shoulder is under almost no stress when I bowl, because I barely use it at all. I don't have very strong shoulders (which is why my bowling shoulder was sore after bowling last season) but I can still bowl quick, about 90 k/h when I'm bowling at my quickest (without spin) I think it's because my wrist powers my delivery more than my shoulder. Last season I had a few photo's of my action and release (they were on my phone and got lost when it was wiped) and my wrist wasn't only going forwards and to the right, but from an 80 degrees bend backwards to full 80 degrees forwards extension.

My wrist is flexible, enough for a wrist doosra over 15 meters, but is wrist power alone enough to make up for a lack of shoulder power? Of course my shoulder does give lots of speed and energy to the ball, but I feel the real energy and speed coming from the wrist!

Perhaps that's why I haven't injured my rotator cuff even though I've been so wreckless? I'll have a look on the intenet for some rotator cuff information, and a few more wrist exercises, just to be sure I don't injure anything.

Be careful about focussing on one thing re your bowling (shoulder, wrist, fingers etc.) as that can lead you to ignoring your bowling action in its entirety and cause undue stress and reliance on that one piece of the puzzle.

I used to play cricket with a guy that go do the whole Warne drift and spin sideways thing but it unfortunately it all became such an obsession and he eventually ruined his shoulder so much he had to teach himself how to bowl left handed so he could stay playing...all this at the age of 23. Still, he was something to behold before the injury.

Be careful about focussing on one thing re your bowling (shoulder, wrist, fingers etc.) as that can lead you to ignoring your bowling action in its entirety and cause undue stress and reliance on that one piece of the puzzle.

I used to play cricket with a guy that go do the whole Warne drift and spin sideways thing but it unfortunately it all became such an obsession and he eventually ruined his shoulder so much he had to teach himself how to bowl left handed so he could stay playing...all this at the age of 23. Still, he was something to behold before the injury.

It's not that I focus more on my wrist, it just comes out naturally like that. I want my shoulder, elbow, fingers, wrist and so forth to work together, but I use my wrist predominantly to apply speed and energy to the ball.

Lots of people spin the ball a lot and turn it a long way. But I think the most dangerous weapon a spinner can have (this seperates the top class players from the average club spinners) is controlling that spin and applying varying degrees of it but still landing it on the same spot. That was what Warne did so brilliantly later in his career. He didn't get that much turn or drift any more, but he could change the way the ball arrived. That's something we see rarely these days. A spinner that doesn't bowl with the same type of spin 99% of the time who doesn't bowl mindlessly without using the crease. :rolleyes:

Hello im asking a question here coz i cant ask a question coz of a bug?

How long is the return crease (no-ball) crease from the middle stump? The retun crease cant be the wide crease because in this video-----> the bowler bowls from beyond the wide line ?

It's not that I focus more on my wrist, it just comes out naturally like that. I want my shoulder, elbow, fingers, wrist and so forth to work together, but I use my wrist predominantly to apply speed and energy to the ball.

Lots of people spin the ball a lot and turn it a long way. But I think the most dangerous weapon a spinner can have (this seperates the top class players from the average club spinners) is controlling that spin and applying varying degrees of it but still landing it on the same spot. That was what Warne did so brilliantly later in his career. He didn't get that much turn or drift any more, but he could change the way the ball arrived. That's something we see rarely these days. A spinner that doesn't bowl with the same type of spin 99% of the time who doesn't bowl mindlessly without using the crease. :rolleyes:

This guy varied it enough, he wasn't a one trick wonder, the point is that pain outside of the usual preseason "getting back into it" stuff is not normal and should be checked out or at least go talk about your action with a suitably knowledgeable coach.

This guy varied it enough, he wasn't a one trick wonder, the point is that pain outside of the usual preseason "getting back into it" stuff is not normal and should be checked out or at least go talk about your action with a suitably knowledgeable coach.

There is no such thing as a "preseason* for me, because my season is the whole year 24/7. We don't get much rain in the winter and I practice as much as I can during the "in and off" season. (Which is in season all the time for me)

I guess I'm lucky not to have been injured seriously at all ! The only injury I ever get these days is some skin ripped off my spinning finger by newish balls. But that's part of being a leggy and it recovers fast.

Back