Jarring

Voodoojk

Hey guys got a new bat not long ago , Ive knocked and oiled myself and had a coulple nets with it and seemed fine untill today I had a full net with it and all miss hits jared the heck out of my bottem hand, Any Ideas or suggestions would be great, Cheers

try to find the middle more? lol. im only half joking though, finding the toe, splice or edges will always jar the bat a bit, if you find the middle then it shouldnt. you could possibly try putting a second grip on the bat as well, i use all my bats with the grips doubled up.

try to find the middle more? lol. im only half joking though, finding the toe, splice or edges will always jar the bat a bit, if you find the middle then it shouldnt. you could possibly try putting a second grip on the bat as well, i use all my bats with the grips doubled up.

Hi Jim, I hit the middle a fair bit lol I play 1st grade in brisbane but im a opening bowler, a few of the boys recon its because the blade was pressed to hard when made what do u think? when it comes out the middle you dont even feel it but if ya swing like hell and miss time you do. I was a number 3 bat in 2nd an 3rd grade when i was younger so i can certainly hold a bat. Its player grade 2'9' in weight anyway any more thoughts will be appreciated

might be worth taking it back to the bat maker/shop and get them to have a look at it? if its been over pressed then id imagine that will hurt its performance as well.

my first bat was a kookaburra kahuna (just a cheap one, not the players edition or anything) and i had that knocked in by a shop. they claimed to have a proper knocking in machine, but when i got it back it was clear they had pressed it, you could see the line where the roller had stopped, and it had pressed it a good 5mm across the whole striking area.

it played really poorly for ages, probably 15 matches, but bearing in mind how long i occupy the crease for (that should really be how short lol) that was probably the equivalent of a few decent innings for most bats. it got a decent amount of net use, but again not excessive amounts because i dont do much batting practice.

anyway, after that length of time, and me thinking it was just a rubbish bat, it started to play better. so i figured maybe some knocking in would help it. I gave it a few hours banging it with an old cricket ball in a sock, and sure enough it helped loads. even though it had been pressed and that had messed the face up, that must have only gone so deep, so then knocking it in maybe evened it all out a bit. not sure on the science, but it plays like a different bat now (typically, after I had already replaced it haha).

reckon its worth going back to the shop/bat maker for their advice anyway. but if they say its alright then you might find it beds in as you play with it more. willow is a strange material, it can exhibit all sorts of strange characteristics. might be worth knocking it in further as well, you should be able to feel if the jarring is improving whilst doing that.

might be worth taking it back to the bat maker/shop and get them to have a look at it? if its been over pressed then id imagine that will hurt its performance as well.

my first bat was a kookaburra kahuna (just a cheap one, not the players edition or anything) and i had that knocked in by a shop. they claimed to have a proper knocking in machine, but when i got it back it was clear they had pressed it, you could see the line where the roller had stopped, and it had pressed it a good 5mm across the whole striking area.

it played really poorly for ages, probably 15 matches, but bearing in mind how long i occupy the crease for (that should really be how short lol) that was probably the equivalent of a few decent innings for most bats. it got a decent amount of net use, but again not excessive amounts because i dont do much batting practice.

anyway, after that length of time, and me thinking it was just a rubbish bat, it started to play better. so i figured maybe some knocking in would help it. I gave it a few hours banging it with an old cricket ball in a sock, and sure enough it helped loads. even though it had been pressed and that had messed the face up, that must have only gone so deep, so then knocking it in maybe evened it all out a bit. not sure on the science, but it plays like a different bat now (typically, after I had already replaced it haha).

reckon its worth going back to the shop/bat maker for their advice anyway. but if they say its alright then you might find it beds in as you play with it more. willow is a strange material, it can exhibit all sorts of strange characteristics. might be worth knocking it in further as well, you should be able to feel if the jarring is improving whilst doing that.

Funny you say that, I had the same prob with a kooky rp years ago, its had prob 4 hours on a mallet so should be bloody close id say also i took a good look at the handle and its real stiff so id say once that loosens up a bit should be a belter,I spoke to the guy i got it from he's a new brand in brisbane an he assures me its a great bit of timber an to give it a couple months if no improve he will replace not a problem anyhow if ya wanna see some pics let me know an il pm them to ya cheers

Back