Kane Williamson Banned From Bowling

His action definitely needs some remedial work.

It's amazing how many players are making it to the semi-professional and professional level with actions which can only be described as "dodgy". I think the ICC's approach to making the acceptable limit 15 degrees has somewhat lead to this in that much more leeway is given to players these days. This, coupled along with the increased political correctness in that people don't really want to say anything in case someone is offended is leading to more amd more players making it to the elite levels of cricket with suspect actions.

In saying that I don't see this changing anytime soon, given the ICC's "head in the sand" policies.

I will say one thing in Williamson's defense, he was never meant to be a bowler. Unfortunately the more he played and the more professional he became and the more he was able to practice his 'bowling'. When ND or NZ were after a useful part-timer he was given the ball and lo and behold his chucked offbreaks were taking wickets. Given that in NZ this kind of thing with spinners is usually fixed when you're young, no one batted an eyelid and assumed he was legit (even though it was obvious he wasn't).

Scarily the blatant chucks of Andrew Ellis (the cricketer not the rugby player) and Kyle Mills will never be pulled up.

Back