Katich - Clarke Ended My Career

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ljp86

Staff member
Simon Katich has finally admitted that Michael Clarke helped end his test career, having a hand in removing him from the current Cricket Australia contracted players list. The rift between the two extends back to the Sydney test in 2009 when Clarke and Katich got into an argument over when the team song would be sung. The argument ended in Katich grabbing the then vice-captain by the throat.

Despite denying the incident had any effect on his axing, Katich has acknowledged that it played a significant role in him losing his contract.

Asked whether or not he could ever expect to play for Australia while Clarke was captain, Katich replied: "I wouldn't have thought so. That's probably why I'm in this position in the first place."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/538293.html

It is a tough play. I have little confidence in Clarke and when the incident happened it was over Clarke wanting to leave to run off with his girl for the night. Basically he was pushin for the team song to be sung. At the time there were some hard men in the shed like Hayden that would not have Clarke and his crap but the new team of flashy boys is here.

Katich will never play for Australia again. A great pity but times have change and a new generation are emerging. they are going ok too, to their credit and even Clarke seems to be handling things ok. So might as well move on and accept the future.

I thought his axing was stupid but Katich should probably keep quiet now otherwise he'll start to look like a massive whinger.

It is a tough play. I have little confidence in Clarke and when the incident happened it was over Clarke wanting to leave to run off with his girl for the night. Basically he was pushin for the team song to be sung. At the time there were some hard men in the shed like Hayden that would not have Clarke and his crap but the new team of flashy boys is here.

It's not like Clarke wanted to piss off 15 minutes after the game, I think wanting the song sung by 11PM is a pretty reasonable request...

Katich had a few beers and grabs a teammate by the throat yet Clarke is somehow the bad bloke. I think a lot of the critics of Clarke need to look past the silly tattoos and commercials he does and be a bit more objective.

Yeah, I wish Katich hadn't brounght it up. Everybody who follows cricket at least thought that the little disagreement played a role in his axing. Unnecessary .
Anyway, he has certainly just put the nail in the coffin for his test career I'd say. I thought with the changes in the selection panel that Katich may have been able to get back in, but these comments haven't made him any friends with CA, selectors or Clarke.

It's not like Clarke wanted to piss off 15 minutes after the game, I think wanting the song sung by 11PM is a pretty reasonable request...

Katich had a few beers and grabs a teammate by the throat yet Clarke is somehow the bad bloke. I think a lot of the critics of Clarke need to look past the silly tattoos and commercials he does and be a bit more objective.

On the back of the major over reaction from both Clarke and Sutherland it would seem clear that Katich was right on the money. It is of course poor form by Katich and he has sealed the deal that he will never play for Australia again, that he can only thank himself for BUT. Comments searching to allow Clarke out of his childish and selfcentred behaviour over the years are poorly placed.
This kid has made a few clangers like pushing at Hayden to call the song by 11pm. Excuse me but i believe the team had won an Ashes in dominate fashion after loosing them the series before. Many of our greats were to retire and this silly little boy thought his girl was more important. I would not have wanted to leave that room at all but i suppose loyalty means little to gen whatever Clarke is.
I have said i don't particularly like Clarke as a capitan but i will gladly be proved wrong and wish him best, but if his reaction to Katich's silly outburst is what we are to expect then his leadership will be weak, just like his character. Tweeting for a date for Smith last year was not a good sign of his respect levels and understanding of privacy. So yes give him a go and he is looking good at the moment but why defend such poorly handled rubbish. It looks like more of the same from the ACB.

This kid has made a few clangers like pushing at Hayden to call the song by 11pm. Excuse me but i believe the team had won an Ashes in dominate fashion after loosing them the series before. Many of our greats were to retire and this silly little boy thought his girl was more important. I would not have wanted to leave that room at all but i suppose loyalty means little to gen whatever Clarke is.

Ummm pretty sure it was after a win against South Africa at the SCG in 2009 and Michael Hussey was the bloke in charge of the song taking over from Justin Langer. It's 11 o'clock at night FFS, 5 hours of beers with the teammates is plenty and I don't blame anyone wanting to leave by that time of the night for whatever personal reason they like.

Look, Clarke doesn't look or sound like the sort of personality that I'd hang around and be mates with but that doesn't make it any less stupid to have some silly agenda against the guy. As for his efforts as captain so far I think he's done quite well, certainly have a lot more confidence in him than Ponting.

Ummm pretty sure it was after a win against South Africa at the SCG in 2009 and Michael Hussey was the bloke in charge of the song taking over from Justin Langer. It's 11 o'clock at night FFS, 5 hours of beers with the teammates is plenty and I don't blame anyone wanting to leave by that time of the night for whatever personal reason they like.

Look, Clarke doesn't look or sound like the sort of personality that I'd hang around and be mates with but that doesn't make it any less stupid to have some silly agenda against the guy. As for his efforts as captain so far I think he's done quite well, certainly have a lot more confidence in him than Ponting.

You are absolutely right, we toured England latter that year and lost, The whole thing is terribly unnecessary though and needs to be put to bed. I agree Clarke is going ok at tis time and i hope he keeps going, it is a worry if he is that small though as he will not go well when things get tough.

An argument of when to sing the team anthem. It's sounds very childish to me. Katich sounds like a bit of a whinger, grudges have no place in professional sport but I wouldn't think Clarke was the reason for Katich's lack of contract, the team management has much more power over contracts than the captain. I have never really liked Clarke as the skipper either. I would of given the job to Shane Watson in the first pace.

I agree with futureblackcap in that I doubt Clarke was the reason (or at least the whole reason) Katich got dropped.

I think that the selectors needed a scapegoat. Someone had to go to show that something was trying to be done. Of course, it would be one of the older guys in the team to get the ax. Couldn't be Punter or Clarke, captaincy and vice unfortunately seem to grant some special immunity. Huss and Watto had been scoring bucket loads and saving our ass, and Haddin had batted well and as the imcumbent keeper also had a fairly safe job. So I guess that left Katich who had had to sit out the last two or three tests with an injury. Even though he had been in good form he was probably the furtherest from anyones mind and therefore the most attractive target if you will.

Just a theory, I'd be happy to hear you guys poke plently of holes in it. :)

I'd say that's pretty much spot on raze, it's a bit hard for a team to have 3 bats in the top 6 in their mid 30s with the keeper not far behind. Katich was unfortunately for him the most convenient one for them to move on at the time.

I wonder when Ponting is going to move on, I have been following his stats and they are not good enough to stay in the squad. Bring in Shaun Marsh as a full time batsmen, I watched him score a brilliant hundred for Australia in an ODI before the WC. He has all the shots and talent to succeed at the top level. The selectors just need to give him some confidence by constantly putting him in the team

I wonder when Ponting is going to move on, I have been following his stats and they are not good enough to stay in the squad. Bring in Shaun Marsh as a full time batsmen, I watched him score a brilliant hundred for Australia in an ODI before the WC. He has all the shots and talent to succeed at the top level. The selectors just need to give him some confidence by constantly putting him in the team

You would recon punter would retire at the end of the upcoming summer. Just has that feeling to it.

Ponting will retire when he's had enough in my opinion. He's batting better now than in the latter stages of his captaincy so I think he will be allowed to go out on his own terms as he has given a lot to Australian cricket for almost 20 years.

Marsh is in the test side full time at the moment, after some good success early on he'll be given some time to settle into the role I hope.

Well regulars on here would know my feelings on the Kat. :D

Lets look at it realistically, Katich shouldn't have been dropped, but he was, and he was never going to be picked again. It wouldn't have mattered if he scored 1000 Sheffield Shield runs this season & the next- he had been marked as done.

So let him have his say. I'm sick and tired of the same old boring excuses, image consultants, media training, brands etc etc. Let players actually say what they are thinking. It makes for a breath of fresh air. ;)

My last word on the matter in this post is that this seems to becoming a common trait with Clarke. If he doesn't want/like you, you're gone, no matter form, reputation or class. Andrew Symonds was a similar victim and I'm not sure if this is a good trait to have. Leadership is about working with different egos for the greater good, not to have a bunch of people who might not be the best, but are really good teammates.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/pups-not-my-mate-symonds/story-e6frf9if-1225812135906

Andrew Symmonds a victim? How many stupid things did 'Roy' do and how many chances did he get? The guy is a ****ing idiot, someone Cricket in Australia can well do without. Also I find it rather more likely that the selectors that actually picked the team dumped Katich rather than Clarke somehow magically clicking his fingers.

Agreed, Symonds sealed his own fate with his stupidity, he had enough chances and blew it. Katich was harshly done by though and it's fair enough that he isn't happy about it. I thought he'd be a lot better than this though, whinging to the media about it doesn't win you any friends and whatever chances he has of regaining selection have now vanished however slim they were before. He's quickly turning into Brad "What about me?" Hodge.

The issue of selection to the Australian cricket team is deeper and more serious than many realise.

Almost the entire country was calling for Michael Clarke's head prior to the last Vodafone Ashes series. We know this. The nation pleaded for an in-form batsman to replace him. He was well out of form and had been for a long time. To top this off, he was the most unpopular cricketer the Australian team has ever known, by the Australian cricket loving public. Never would there have been an easier player to drop. It should have been a no-brainer to bring in someone who had been piling on the runs from Shield cricket, and let Clarke compete for his next selection in the coveted Australian team. Inexplicably, he was retained through all of this. He carried on producing woeful scores, and Australia paid by losing the Ashes on home soil. The writing was on the wall, all of Australia saw it coming, it was unfolding before our very eyes, but still Cricket Australia kept picking Clarke. After the series loss, they followed it up by making him captain. It was a stiff middle finger to the vast majority of the Australian public - a clear statement to say, "We are playing Michael Clarke, and it has nothing to do with his form."

So why was Clarke undroppable, through horrendous form, the team losing, and record personal unpopularity?

Sponsorship.

Clarke is on a million dollar contract to be the face of Vodafone. It is in Vodafone's interest to have Michael Clarke in the national team, or their million bucks is wasted. So Vodafone need to control the body who selects Clarke. And they do. Remember the "Vodafone" Ashes? You will notice that the next test series this Australian summer will also be the Vodafone test series. Vodafone sponsors Cricket Australia.

Vodafone pays Cricket Australia. Vodafone pays Michael Clarke. Cricket Australia selects Michael Clarke.

This is a situation that should outrage every Australian cricket fan. No longer is the Australian team representative of the best cricketers in the country. Cricket Australia receives big money from companies and is clearly influenced by this in their selection policy. Australians need to demand that the sponsors of Cricket Australia can not also sponsor individual players. This is a blatant conflict of interest, with the mechanism there for CA to be pressured by mutual sponsors to put their marketing ahead of the interests of the national team and the Australian public, and to select spokespeople for their company over more eligible and worthy players.

The only way to get this through to decision makers is to vote with your feet. I hope that anyone who has Vodafone as their service provider will drop them at your earliest convenience, and let them know that it is because of their sponsorship of Michael Clarke and the policy of sponsoring individuals as well as the body that selects the team itself. With luck, Vodafone will cancel its association with Clarke, whose position in the team will once again depend on the merit of his performances.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Boycott-Vodafone-until-they-drop-Michael-Clarke/294464237238404

If you don't have Vodafone, make your feelings known and "like" the above link.

Corporate interests have no place in representative selection. Clarke must be dumped by Vodafone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back