keep going out LB

RILES!

keep going out LB

i have a terrible habit.
i open the batting. and when im facing the new ball i step across my line alot to protect my stumps.
great, until bang big inswinger gone LBW.
need to get out of the habit of stepping across the line.
any tips??

Re: keep going out LB

First place I would look is your head position. If that looks OK I would see how your backlift is.

These are the most common errors for getting bowled/LBW. DO you have any front on video footage?

Do you plant your foot early? If your planting your foot a bit early then it gives you no chance with the inswinger.

Also are you falling over a bit with your stance? You need to make sure your 100% balanced.

The quickest answer is to take a bigger stride out with your front foot, then if you're struck the Ump is less trigger happy with his finger, but thats just a quick fix, if theres something technically wrong, it needs sorting.

As Harrowdrive said, a video of your stance all the way through to the shot would be nice, and not just one ball, a full over would be the most helpful.

Timed Out said:
Do you plant your foot early? If your planting your foot a bit early then it gives you no chance with the inswinger.

Also are you falling over a bit with your stance? You need to make sure your 100% balanced.

Agreed, and the most common cause of both these is a poor head position either in the stance or while playing the shot.

One option is to change your guard so that you don't have to take such a big step across.

However, that's a minor alteration and the advice given above is what you should be concentrating on. Timed Out and Harrowdrive in particular, as poor head position can be a killer when batting.

The reason i think its your planting your foot too early is that i do the exact sae thing and its what holds me back. I find to correct it i need to do a pietersen style walk from leg to middle stump as it gives me momentum so i get behind the ball more and also means i dont have to plant my leg down so much.

Not to offend any of the advisers on this thread but I would be cautious of any advice given by someone who is:

a. not a qualified coach
b. has not seen you batting

Not that the advice given so far is invalid, it just may not be relevant to your exact circumstances.

I don't think it's necessarily the problem that you are getting too far across, more that maybe you are not getting far enough forward or are committing yourself to a back foot shoot by being unbalanced at your trigger movement.

A common problem I am finding with young batsman is that their initial trigger movement is causing them to have their weight unbalanced and not allowing them to move with equal ease to a front or back foot shot.

It is crucial that at the point of delivery you are in a position to move to either front or back foot without having to redistribute your body weight.

A good practice for this is to work on being "light on your feet". If you watch boxers when they train, they skip around on their feet from side to side quite quickly enabling themselves to be able to duck and weave the punches whilst still being balanced. It's the same principle for a batsman but with a ball instead of a fist!

During the close season try this simple drill to get your head into the correct position.

Get a mate to throw a ball to you about knee/thigh height and in line with a set of stumps. You catch the ball under your eyes as if you were going to hit the ball. This drill should encourage the correct movement pattern - Head, shoulder, hands, feet (basically) ensure you maintain balance. Your server can then adjust the line and you can state what stump the line is, develop with 2 sets of stumps. Great drill for openers (leaving the ball...).

Develop further by getting server to bounce the ball in at different pace and length to further shot selection and head position. Make sure you use a soft ball and be patient.

Hope this helps, if it's good enough for Tresco, it should help.

DarrenTalbotCricket said:
I don't think it's necessarily the problem that you are getting too far across, more that maybe you are not getting far enough forward or are committing yourself to a back foot shoot by being unbalanced at your trigger movement.

A common problem I am finding with young batsman is that their initial trigger movement is causing them to have their weight unbalanced and not allowing them to move with equal ease to a front or back foot shot.

It is crucial that at the point of delivery you are in a position to move to either front or back foot without having to redistribute your body weight.

A good practice for this is to work on being "light on your feet". If you watch boxers when they train, they skip around on their feet from side to side quite quickly enabling themselves to be able to duck and weave the punches whilst still being balanced. It's the same principle for a batsman but with a ball instead of a fist!

I've been noticing the same problem, especially in the age ranges of 8-12.

The initial trigger movement is poor and it leaves them quite unbalanced and often able to only play a few strokes.

I think it's a combination of age and also trying to emulate the big stars (they mostly want to smash the ball out of the ground) but it's important to correct when they are young so that they can develop a full repertoire of strokes.

I know it's a bit off topic but I don't really see a need for an 11 year old to have a trigger movement. Most kids need to learn to keep their heads more still!

I agree with you David there, i coach some u12's and there heads tend to be so wandering that you need a concrete panels each side just to keep it straight!

But i'm staying out of this thread due to my lack of help in the "how to prevent LBW," :(

I can see where you are coming from but I going to say that it all depends on your method of coaching.

Personally, I see batting as a linked system, often a small problem in one area may result in a bigger one elsewhere.

Though you may not see a trigger movement as important to a junior I consider it to be something that they need to know, especially as they will struggle to keep their head still if off balance.

Of course the key thing, is to keep it fun and simple, we are not talking in depth analysis here, just getting some good basics down.

Dan Sturm said:
Personally, I see batting as a linked system, often a small problem in one area may result in a bigger one elsewhere.

I agree and if a batter has a trigger movement I would not coach it out of them unless I thought it as a problem.

I certainly would encorage younger players you bat from a still position though. There is no NEED for a trigger movement at all until perhaps the higher levels (and even then it's debatable).

Virender, I would suggest starting a new topic to keep this one on the right subject of LBW.

Back