Learning Leg Spin From Scratch

solanki

Hi guys.

I am trying to learn Leg Spin - since quite a few years now. There's some improvement, but not much.

I really want to put all of my energy in learning the bowling technique.

I had put up a question on Quora - and this might sound something off the traditional set of advice and strategy that we talk about, but it does make sense - about learning new movements using deliberate practice.

Here is the text:

I am trying to learn Leg Spin bowling in cricket but I am not really sure how to proceed. I require a good coordination for...
  1. jumping sideways
  2. balancing on the left foot
  3. throwing the ball with a specific wrist/finger jerk with a simultaneous rotation of hips and pivoting on left foot
  4. followed by taking the left arm backward to "absorb" the rotation.

I can't get all of these right, and I want to practice effectively, so that at-least my body learns to perform these actions instead of repeating mistaken actions again and again.

According to University of Utah: Sports 'n Science " Muscle Memory:
  1. We can focus on one action at a time.
  2. We need a good attitude to let go of the bad shots/performances
  3. We need to register mentally the shots/performances where we got it right
  4. We can not mistake repeating ineffective movement with well performed practice. It just makes it difficult to unlearn specific actions.
Repeating my problem again, I am just not sure how I use this knowledge in practising these specific actions?

How do I proceed?

Just to summarize my question again, the approach that I want to take is to learn new movements, be very aware of faulty actions, eliminate them, and try and repeat - consciously while learning (so that later they become automatic) - the actions and movements that got me the results.

I am guessing that this might seem like a weird approach, but the theory is sound. What do you suggest should I do? There are a lot of movements to be learned here - some will require drills. Then, ofcourse, there is the aspect of performing all the steps in one fluid motion which will require more attention than the individual movements.

I think it would require some drills to concentrate on.

Bowling off one step is a good way to go. Add more run-up as you get comfortable. The more time you put into it, the better you will get.

Terry Jenner, the bloke who showed Shane Warne a few tricks:

Learn Shane Warne's five spin Deliveries with Terry Jenner

Shane Warne with a similar rundown:

Shane Warne - King Of Spin - Leg Spin Tutorial

There's a lot of good stuff on youtube, but the main thing is hours of practice. Not a bad idea to get footage of yourself either, it'll give you a better idea of what you are actually doing.

Good luck, have fun with it.

First learn to bowl, then learn to spin the ball, then combine the two. Simple, really.

Brilliant.That is one best pieces of advice you will hear my friend.

How long do you propose he should spend learning how to bowl before he learns how to spin the ball ? He has his heart set on being a legspinner, we wouldn't want him to waste too much time learning to bowl then discovering he couldn't spin it if his life depended on it would we?

Brilliant.That is one best pieces of advice you will hear my friend.

How long do you propose he should spend learning how to bowl before he learns how to spin the ball ? He has his heart set on being a legspinner, we wouldn't want him to waste too much time learning to bowl then discovering he couldn't spin it if his life depended on it would we?

I think he could probably actually practice the two skills simultaneously but separately, and then when he has mastered both, look at trying to combine the two.

I don't know whether it was brilliant, more like common sense really.

Terry Jenner, the bloke who showed Shane Warne a few tricks:

Learn Shane Warne's five spin Deliveries with Terry Jenner

Be aware though that this clip contains one of the biggest aussie cons perpetrated at the bbc since Rolf Harris convinced them that an old piece of masonite sheeting was a musical instrument called a wobble board.

The good news is if you can bowl the ball he calls a backspinner you could win the 1 million English pounds (roughly 20 aussie dollars) up for grabs due to the generosity of the folks at SLOB ( Search for Legspinners Orthodox Backspinner)

I think he could probably actually practice the two skills simultaneously but separately, and then when he has mastered both, look at trying to combine the two.

Common sense but that simple two strand method you espoused is the basis of good spin coaching. Far better start then the convoluted goals and exercises that began the post.

Like a ledger the two columns labelled bowling and spinning can be added to as the student progresses. Bowling side column in my book starts to fill with entries like accuracy, fitness etc,. Spinning column with variations, mind games etc,.

I dont think it is possible to wait to master both before combining them though. The suspense would be unbearable.

First learn to bowl, then learn to spin the ball, then combine the two. Simple, really.
I don't think that a really good advice to be honest, ithin you should watch those videos on legpin on youtube bowl and refer to some old thread when you have any problems ! Simple ! :D

I think there is the genius of simplicity there. It took until I was in the my thirties before I realised that I could improve my spin bowling by practising vanilla bowling.

I don't think it's any coincidence that Warne could produce a bouncer as a variation, if a rare one, to complement his legbreaks.

I wonder how many great spin bowlers came from fast bowling? I think a few!

Back