Left Arm Chinaman

I bowl my left arm orthadox and was wondering if i should change to chinaman because the variations are explained and taught easier

I see what you mean but duno if that is enough reason to switch.

By all means though, give wrist spin a go.

She's a jealous art though and you need to dedicate a lot of time and effort.

I bowl my left arm orthadox and was wondering if i should change to chinaman because the variations are explained and taught easier

As macca says, you need to prepare for the long haul - a lot of time and effort if you're going to become a Wrist Spinner we're talking years and not months and that's just getting your Leg Break sorted.

these boys are correct. you cant just jump into wrist spin and expect results....ive been bowling it for about 6 seasons...and i still cant land a whole over on the spot. it's very frustrating, but when when you bamboozle the opponent, very satisfying.

As macca says, you need to prepare for the long haul - a lot of time and effort if you're going to become a Wrist Spinner we're talking years and not months and that's just getting your Leg Break sorted.
thats what i have been told numerous times when i talk to others about the wrist spins variation simpler to understand and you guys certainly are helping me. Thank you for bringing me to this site :D

thats what i have been told numerous times when i talk to others about the wrist spins variation simpler to understand and you guys certainly are helping me. Thank you for bringing me to this site :D

No - worries good to have you on here, at the moment it's probaby the busiest it's ever been and the most lively with several people making contributions on a regular basis. It's unusual this forum in that we're all pretty sensible and respectful of each others specialities and backgrounds and there's several blokes on here with a wealth of experience and advice willing to chip in with ideas and suggestions.

hey guys. sorry, ive been away from the site for a while because of exams but im back. I have just uploaded some videos of my action on youtube...feel free to rip into my action...im willing to start all over again if i have to.
here are the links:

let me know if the videos need to be better for the analysis...
any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks guys!

I would suggest that you shoot several deliveries of the same action e.g. 5 or 6 balls from behind the stumps and 5 or 6 balls from the side, as one shot doesn't represent much of an over-view. You could also try and find some on-line software so you can post up a slow motion version of one as well.

Also with the shot from behind the stumps - shoot it through the fence if you can, so that the camera man doesn't have to jump out of the way!

Do you get the ball to turn much?

Arm seems a little high to me. Probably wanna bring that down a bit. Not only would that increase revs on the ball, it might also stabilise the head and improve accuracy.

hey guys. sorry, ive been away from the site for a while because of exams but im back.thanks guys!

Lots to like about the action.

I remember you saying your wrongun spins more than your stock ball sometimes.

Yeah you could go a bit more roundarm if youre after more sidespin.

Seen a few chinaman bowlers with the high arm action get plenty of topsin and bounce. Plenty of topspinners and wronguns, accidental and on purpose.

They prove hard to score off, so they are economical but can struggle to take wickets.

I always think they should lower their arm from 12oclock to 11 oclock and see how that works. You might have a go at trying pure roundarm at 9 0clock just to help get the feeling. Roundarm and underarm spinning are always good practise routines.

I bowl chinaman as well, but I'm facing a couple of problems. I can't decide whether to bowl over or round the wicket. Everyone's giving me different advices, and they both have a couple of pros and a couple of cons. My problem with bowling over the wicket, is that I get smacked to cow corner a lot. My problem with bowling round the wicket is that I never get LBW decisions to go my way. Tips please!

I bowl chinaman as well, but I'm facing a couple of problems. I can't decide whether to bowl over or round the wicket. Everyone's giving me different advices, and they both have a couple of pros and a couple of cons. My problem with bowling over the wicket, is that I get smacked to cow corner a lot. My problem with bowling round the wicket is that I never get LBW decisions to go my way. Tips please!

Do you have any variations primarily the Wrong Un or Top-Spinner?

I've got a toppie an Left arm orthodox delivery, a square spinner, and an orthodox toppie.

That's easy in that case, if you're mixing disciplines and you're facing RH bats surely your best option is to mix your Finger Spin - Leg-Spinners with the your orthodox Top-Spinners? Use the LH Orthodox like a Leg Break bowling round the wicket as tight as you can to the stumps a la' Daniel Vettori. Has that been suggested before? You can vary the speed, flight, where you bowl from on the crease and the amount of Top-Spin you use.

That's easy in that case, if you're mixing disciplines and you're facing RH bats surely your best option is to mix your Finger Spin - Leg-Spinners with the your orthodox Top-Spinners? Use the LH Orthodox like a Leg Break bowling round the wicket as tight as you can to the stumps a la' Daniel Vettori. Has that been suggested before? You can vary the speed, flight, where you bowl from on the crease and the amount of Top-Spin you use.
Not really, ' cause I'm a member of one of the smallest cricket clubs in Holland, and we only have fast bowlers and off spinners. Thank you very much.

Chinaman bowler needs to be able to bowl both sides of stumps but in general over to lefties and round to righties is one way to go. Bowling on or near the stumps to lefties and outside off stump to righties. Does that make since ?

Chinaman bowler needs to be able to bowl both sides of stumps but in general over to lefties and round to righties is one way to go. Bowling on or near the stumps to lefties and outside off stump to righties. Does that make since ?

I used to bowl chinamen and was always coached to bowl over the wicket to both. Going round the wicket makes it much easier for the right hander to play you.

I used to bowl chinamen and was always coached to bowl over the wicket to both. Going round the wicket makes it much easier for the right hander to play you.

You were probably so good you didn't need to change your angle.

Over the wicket for the majority of the time to left and righthanders is best and proven but every wrist spinner eventually has to learn to use all the crease in their quest for world domination.

hi guys.
i cant seem to log on with facebook so i created another account. here is my video slowed down...hopefully you guys can pick apart what I'm doing wrong. would love to improve during this xmas break and get back to the season as a better bowler.

enjoy! and thank you in advance!

Hi guys, i was thinking of taking a private coaching session from ray bright. ex australian player. the price is quite dear so i was wondering whether you guys think private coaching would be helpful and if anyone has seen ray in action.
any help would be greatly appreciated!

Back