left-armers

notrunout

left-armers

Yesterday I faced a couple of fast left-arm bowlers when we needed a lot of runs per over and I was unable to get to the ball fast enough. The other, more skilled batsman was urging me to use my feet. He saw the ball early so just danced down the pitch and hit the ball straight for 4 each time. I never saw it at all. I was conscious of soemthing pitching on the line of the off stump and moving fast away towards a packed slip field.
My feet never moved because by the time I realised the ball had pitched it was past me. My guard was middle stump. Should I have taken off stump guard to get into line earlier so that I would have a chance of seeing the ball?

Re: left-armers

notrunout;355515 said:
Yesterday I faced a couple of fast left-arm bowlers when we needed a lot of runs per over and I was unable to get to the ball fast enough. The other, more skilled batsman was urging me to use my feet. He saw the ball early so just danced down the pitch and hit the ball straight for 4 each time. I never saw it at all. I was conscious of soemthing pitching on the line of the off stump and moving fast away towards a packed slip field.
My feet never moved because by the time I realised the ball had pitched it was past me. My guard was middle stump. Should I have taken off stump guard to get into line earlier so that I would have a chance of seeing the ball?

It is clear your hand eye coordination is not were it should be, if you can't pick the ball up in time then you have no chance of moving your feet.
It also does not matter were your feet are if you can't see it.

I would train your reflex, a good one i was taught was.
Find a spot on 3qtrs up a wall and find another spot on the floor in front of you. Look at the spot on the wall and when you have completely focused on it look at the spot on the wall only moving your eyes (not your head) repeat this drill, you could do it in the adds whilst watching TV.
But you must make a effort to focus on these points otherwise this exercise is useless.

Also if you can get to a ball machine, set it up 3qtrs the way down pitch from the batting crease and useing TENNIS BALLS shoot them out.
This will help work your reflexes to quicker bowling and you won't get hurt in the process (this is guaranteed to work)
The reason why we set it up qtr pitch you will find you will get more of a realistic bounce, as you improve you can change the speed and move the machine to half pitch but no further.

Good luck

Make a point of watching the ball out of the hand of the bowler. Sometimes it is easier said than done, sometimes you dont realise your not doing it correctly.
If you are feeling a little intimidated by the bowlers, thats ok. when your facing new challenges. Genuinely trying to understand the dynamics of a situation will enhance the odds of a better result next time.
Make sure your back foot isnt moving toward square leg as the bowler releases the ball. This will rob you of a massive amount of time and make you appear like you have slow reflexes. You can lay a bat at your heels in your normal stance. If the bat moves, chances are your back foot is mooving toward square leg.
Try opening your stance up. Be more chest on or face on to the left arm bowler coming over the wicket.
Before your net session, try standing behind the nets if possible, with your full gear on and pretend to bat, watch the ball out of the hand, concentrate,practice lots, dont try too many new things at once. Sometimes what appear to be weaknesses turn out to be strengths.

vvs1;355873 said:
Make a point of watching the ball out of the hand of the bowler. Sometimes it is easier said than done, sometimes you dont realise your not doing it correctly.
If you are feeling a little intimidated by the bowlers, thats ok. when your facing new challenges. Genuinely trying to understand the dynamics of a situation will enhance the odds of a better result next time.
Make sure your back foot isnt moving toward square leg as the bowler releases the ball. This will rob you of a massive amount of time and make you appear like you have slow reflexes. You can lay a bat at your heels in your normal stance. If the bat moves, chances are your back foot is mooving toward square leg.
Try opening your stance up. Be more chest on or face on to the left arm bowler coming over the wicket.
Before your net session, try standing behind the nets if possible, with your full gear on and pretend to bat, watch the ball out of the hand, concentrate,practice lots, dont try too many new things at once. Sometimes what appear to be weaknesses turn out to be strengths.

How does this answer his question, not once to he say he was intimidated or was backing out to sqaure leg, you have just gone off on your own ramble and completely off topic. ??????

thanks for the replies

I think some of my problem may be due to difficulties watching the ball and some of th exercises suggested my be helpful.
I will try these.

Some of it might have been the tactics used in the game - the bowlers deliberately bowled out there:- pitching on off and moving away- to try to get me to edge an almost wide one.

I've found that by taking a guard outside off stump I am meeting the angle of the ball and finding that it is very slanting across me. It is as though the ball is coming from behind me (as if in a normal stance it would be delivered from well to leg side, a no ball area outside the return crease) and I have to seriously turn to face the bowler's hand, more than to a usual left-armer. Strange stuff to practise.

Where were you looking? It sounds that maybe you weren't fully concentrating on the bowler and maybe looking towards cover or mid off? Try and fully focus on the bowlers arm, bit different facing left armers, they were bowling over the wicket?

Left arm bowlers are the spawn of satan, so don't feel too bad. practice against them in the nets and work out a method :) good luck buddy

Always remember that when playing balls on your pads/leg side (especially against left armer's who bowl over the wicket) that you don't need to take anywhere near as big a step forward as if you're playing balls on or outside your off stump. It also helps if you have an open stance when facing left armer's, otherwise you're playing around your front pad and getting closed off.

James P

Here's something that I have tried and has worked for me. If a leftie is coming over the wicket, open up your stance so that any ball on your legs can be put away; however, be careful for the ball outside off-stump, you need to readjust your footwork and it may look untidy. If you are confident with your cover drive, then you can just use your head and your hands and avoid footwork, but as I mentioned before, practice in the nets against lefties and work it out. And remember, as long as they don't hit your stumps, you're winning :)

Back