Leg Spin Around The World - Who Is The Best?

futureblackcap

At the recent ODI Cricket World Cup, there were plenty of new leg spinners. I have been extremely impressed with the likes of Devendra Bishoo, Imran Tahir, Balaji Rao and not so much India's Pyish Chowla.

Who do you think is the best leg spinner in the world at the moment?

I know a few of you like Adil Rashid.

Imran Tahir is a quality bowler but Devendra Bishoo has quite a lot of potential, it will be hard to separate them until seeing how they go in tests

Imran Tahir right now is probably the best. Cameron Boyce from Queensland will be right up there, sooner or later.

Boyce is VERY early on in his career, and to be fair it's not like the Aussie's have actually got any good spinners at the moment... For me, Tahir is the best in international cricket, although Afridi is dangerous in the short form. I like the look of Bishoo, and Rashid, and Kaneria was (for me) harshly done, he would have far more than 261 test wickets if someone without a pair of teflon gloves was stood behind the stumps...

Boyce is VERY early on in his career, and to be fair it's not like the Aussie's have actually got any good spinners at the moment... For me, Tahir is the best in international cricket, although Afridi is dangerous in the short form. I like the look of Bishoo, and Rashid, and Kaneria was (for me) harshly done, he would have far more than 261 test wickets if someone without a pair of teflon gloves was stood behind the stumps...

Yeah that Kamran Akmal should have been banned with the rest of them. Why he is back in the Pakistan team is beyond me.

Imran Tahir

I rate Graeme Cremer pretty highly as well, he will always struggle playing for Zimbabwe though.

Without a doubt though, if Shane Warne came back into international cricket tomorrow, he would still be the best leg spinner by a mile. That is the worrying thing about the current crop of leg spinners - old man Warney could rock up after a few years out, low on fitness, restricted in his movement, and still out-bowl any one of the younger leggies that are breaking through. There was/is so much more to Warnes bowling than simply great technique, that even if a leggie emerges with a great action, the chances of them having the whole package in terms of the mental approach and the intelligence is still a long shot.

Imran Tahir

I rate Graeme Cremer pretty highly as well, he will always struggle playing for Zimbabwe though.

Without a doubt though, if Shane Warne came back into international cricket tomorrow, he would still be the best leg spinner by a mile. That is the worrying thing about the current crop of leg spinners - old man Warney could rock up after a few years out, low on fitness, restricted in his movement, and still out-bowl any one of the younger leggies that are breaking through. There was/is so much more to Warnes bowling than simply great technique, that even if a leggie emerges with a great action, the chances of them having the whole package in terms of the mental approach and the intelligence is still a long shot.

I thought about Warne because he's in the IPL, but I must admit I watched him in the first game, but haven't watched it since, but yeah he still does the business and does so with equal aplomb toTahir.

Bishoo is the Guyanese lad playing for WI Dave :) You're thinking of Balaji Rao!

Ahh Cremer, forgot him! Good shout Jim!

Yes, Graham Cremer was especially impressive for Zimbabwe in the WC. Out of all the legspinners at the World Cup, Pyush Chowla was by far the worst, he just looked flustered, extremely nervous and panicky which is unusual because he's had 20 or so international games. I guess some players just aren't made for the international game.

Bishoo is the Guyanese lad playing for WI Dave :) You're thinking of Balaji Rao!

Ahh Cremer, forgot him! Good shout Jim!

This him Rao, I liked his bowling. Cremer I'm not sure about I always watch him and I'm always gunning for him, but he always seems really inconsistent.

Cremer is a bit inconsistent, but hes still young, and he is the most conventional and best to watch of the leg spinners. Tahir bowls well but his action is setup for lots of googlies, he isn't a conventional leggie. hes also a LOT older and has had those years to develop, he was nothing 3 years ago compared to the standard he is playing at now.

he isn't a conventional leggie
I didn't know there was such a thing. If there is it should be banned immediately!

Cremer's OK but I didn't see him as anything special. The same goes for Bishoo. I suppose the problem with them is that they're just too young. Tahir on the other hand is a very experienced pro - I'm not sure anyone on Cricinfo has more first-class teams to his name - and that experience seems very evident to me when he bowls. Whatever situation he was presented with he seemed to have a riposte ready and waiting. In a way he's moved into International cricket at the perfect time while Cremer, Bishoo, Smith et al all get judged far too early before they've got the overs under their belt.

I didn't know there was such a thing. If there is it should be banned immediately!

Cremer's OK but I didn't see him as anything special. The same goes for Bishoo. I suppose the problem with them is that they're just too young. Tahir on the other hand is a very experienced pro - I'm not sure anyone on Cricinfo has more first-class teams to his name - and that experience seems very evident to me when he bowls. Whatever situation he was presented with he seemed to have a riposte ready and waiting. In a way he's moved into International cricket at the perfect time while Cremer, Bishoo, Smith et al all get judged far too early before they've got the overs under their belt.

You mentioned Steve Smith, his action is okay but I have no idea why he is in the first 11. They call him an all rounder, but he only ever bowls about 5 overs and his batting style makes him look like a tail ender. If I was the selectors, I would either select him as a bowler and let him bowl ten or drop him and let him get more experience in the first class level.

You mentioned Steve Smith, his action is okay but I have no idea why he is in the first 11. They call him an all rounder, but he only ever bowls about 5 overs and his batting style makes him look like a tail ender. If I was the selectors, I would either select him as a bowler and let him bowl ten or drop him and let him get more experience in the first class level.
I know he doesn't LOOK like a batsman but he can put a few runs on. In the Ashes only Hussey, Watson and Haddin averaged more than he did. Not bad when your team includes Ponting and Clarke.

Back