Leg Spin Variations

Paul#10

Leg Spin Variations

Gday im after any tips on how to bowl a flipper and a slider. I know it takes a long time to master(cough cough the wrong un) and i am willing to do that but a bit of help can make it easier. Cheers:D

Re: Leg Spin Variations

You're in an obscure place for posting the question - you should use the wrist spin thread - but anyway. I don't know if you've read the stuff about Richie Benaud taking 2 years or something to get the flipper. Learning how to do it is easy enough, it takes several hours at a push to get the basics right and you might get it working even faster? But the first question is do you bowl the Leg Break and can you do that pretty well? If so have you looked at the videos on line? There are 2 or 3 you should look at on you tube. 2 with Terry Jenner and one with the man himself - Warne

YouTube - Cloverdale Cricket Masterclass Spin Bowling tips 1
YouTube - Cricket: Shane Warne's five spin deliveries.
YouTube - Shane Warne

Watch these and they show you what you do with your fingers. If you can do that flick out of your hand using the click technique it's just a case of shed loads of practice and I mean SHED LOADS in order to get it right. It might be that Benaud only practiced once a week for 10 minutes in which case - yeah it might have taken him 2 years!

But I'd only be trying this and the other variations if you can bowl the Leg Break really well. If your trying to learn the wrong un I'd read through the Wrist Spin Bowling thread or look at my blog http://thegooglysyndrome.blogspot.com/ and heed the warning.

Also get the book - "The art of wrist spin bowling" by Peter Philpott.

The slider - now that's a tricky one and I'm not sure that there's anyone on here that can explain how that's done - it's a weird one. Some of us have theories though.

Re: Leg Spin Variations

The key is practice. If you practice loads you'll suss it. Even though I'm just a friendlies weekend player and I'm old (48) I'm totally obsessed with being able to do this and do it well. I try and practice at least three hours a week just spot bowling. One of the thing all the experts say is if you are trying to bowl Wrist Spin well, you've got to be 100% focussed on what you're doing - with full commitment. Let us know how you get on - maybe post your progress in the Wrist Spin thread as we'd all like to hear how you do?

Back