Leg Spin Video Analysis

GoldenArm

Leg Spin Video Analysis

Okay, so a la Jim I thought i'd film myself down the nets and turn over the resulting footage to the BigCricket expert panel. I only had about five minutes to spare after everyone was finished in the nets to film myself but I'm going back down tomorrow to do some rolling on the old pitch and afterwards i'm going to record the whole repertoire, flipper, wrong un, toppie and maybe a slider if i can possibly manage it. Any advice, comments etc would be massively appreciated as i'm always trying to improve, inconsistency is the bane of my life!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj6Kua8NGQw

Re: Leg Spin Video Analysis

GoldenArm;396192 said:
Okay, so a la Jim I thought i'd film myself down the nets and turn over the resulting footage to the BigCricket expert panel. I only had about five minutes to spare after everyone was finished in the nets to film myself but I'm going back down tomorrow to do some rolling on the old pitch and afterwards i'm going to record the whole repertoire, flipper, wrong un, toppie and maybe a slider if i can possibly manage it. Any advice, comments etc would be massively appreciated as i'm always trying to improve, inconsistency is the bane of my life!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj6Kua8NGQw

You've got your youtube settings in 'Private' mode and I can't view it.

GoldenArm;396199 said:
Sorted! try it now:)

Yeah, not being an expert it's difficult for me to say if there's anything wrong, the only thing I might suggest is that there's not a sense of you 'Exploding' through the crease. I also noticed that the bowling arm doesn't seem to come back round and past your left hip. Additionally your foot that comes round the pivot doesn't end up pointing straight down the wicket and seems to stop abruptly and close to the pivot foot suggesting that there's very little forward momentum and a minimal follow through - or am I talking out of my Jacksy?

someblokecalleddave;396200 said:
Yeah, not being an expert it's difficult for me to say if there's anything wrong, the only thing I might suggest is that there's not a sense of you 'Exploding' through the crease. I also noticed that the bowling arm doesn't seem to come back round and past your left hip. Additionally your foot that comes round the pivot doesn't end up pointing straight down the wicket and seems to stop abruptly and close to the pivot foot suggesting that there's very little forward momentum and a minimal follow through - or am I talking out of my Jacksy?

No you're absolutely right mate, i wasn't really going for it. i only went off about half my run up and just ambled in. Normally i would attack the crease a bit more than that. i thought it had some good revs for a half effort ball though!

GoldenArm;396201 said:
No you're absolutely right mate, i wasn't really going for it. i only went off about half my run up and just ambled in. Normally i would attack the crease a bit more than that. i thought it had some good revs for a half effort ball though!

Yeah it looks like it turns at the end there. My biggest problem at the minute is that I over-rotate YouTube - Leg Break Rotational analysis 002.avi but I'm working on it and it seems to producing improved accuracy and consistency.

someblokecalleddave;396202 said:
Yeah it looks like it turns at the end there. My biggest problem at the minute is that I over-rotate YouTube - Leg Break Rotational analysis 002.avi but I'm working on it and it seems to producing improved accuracy and consistency.

Ah intriguing, i see you kind of step across yourself there. whereas i flick my leg out and land on the same side yours comes almost from behind you and comes right across. you're going to far and i'm not going far enough! i notice that i'm a bit more front on than you as well and i do find that this way i'm more in control of length and direction and it doesn't seem to lessen the turn or drift at all. perhaps you should worry less about finishing with your leg that far in front of you, just do whatever is the most comfortable and effective. stuart macgill doesn't get his body fully involved in the action and he manages to give it a fair old rip! It's so hard to decide to what extent you should worry about all these little things and how much you should just leave up to nature.

tomorrow i'll really go for it and make sure i'm exploding and that arm is finishing up right across me as well. cheers for the advice.

GoldenArm;396203 said:
Ah intriguing, i see you kind of step across yourself there. whereas i flick my leg out and land on the same side yours comes almost from behind you and comes right across. you're going to far and i'm not going far enough! i notice that i'm a bit more front on than you as well and i do find that this way i'm more in control of length and direction and it doesn't seem to lessen the turn or drift at all. perhaps you should worry less about finishing with your leg that far in front of you, just do whatever is the most comfortable and effective. stuart macgill doesn't get his body fully involved in the action and he manages to give it a fair old rip! It's so hard to decide to what extent you should worry about all these little things and how much you should just leave up to nature.

tomorrow i'll really go for it and make sure i'm exploding and that arm is finishing up right across me as well. cheers for the advice.

Yeah, I'm working on the rotation and it seems to be coming together. I'll have to get the video out and record myself again and see if there's any improvement. I'm fairly optimistic about the prospects of my bowling having improved at all levels - tactically as well as speed, line, length and maybe even turn. I've been bowling with 7 balls 4 orange and 3 Green. The Orange balls I bowl Leg Breaks and the 3 greens the variations. Or alternate Leg Breaks and Wrong Uns, my Wrong Un at the minute is nothing short of amazing, I'm just hoping that I can keep up the current momentum into the start of the season.

Have you noticed that we're taking over youtube - when you do the searches on youtube these days for wrist spin related videos it's 90% Jims videos and a few of mine, add yours to it and we'll be monopolising it! There's loads of people that check out these threads as well, it's a shame that they don't sign up and get more involved?

GoldenArm;396203 said:

A little tentative in that clip but i see the basis of a solid repeatable action. When is your first game this season? You look like your easing back into it. Best way to avoid injury early in the season.

someblokecalleddave;396204 said:
Yeah, I'm working on the rotation and it seems to be coming together. I'll have to get the video out and record myself again and see if there's any improvement. I'm fairly optimistic about the prospects of my bowling having improved at all levels - tactically as well as speed, line, length and maybe even turn. I've been bowling with 7 balls 4 orange and 3 Green. The Orange balls I bowl Leg Breaks and the 3 greens the variations. Or alternate Leg Breaks and Wrong Uns, my Wrong Un at the minute is nothing short of amazing, I'm just hoping that I can keep up the current momentum into the start of the season.

Have you noticed that we're taking over youtube - when you do the searches on youtube these days for wrist spin related videos it's 90% Jims videos and a few of mine, add yours to it and we'll be monopolising it! There's loads of people that check out these threads as well, it's a shame that they don't sign up and get more involved?

the multi coloured ball thing sounds like a good idea. adds a nice bit of structure to your practice. i'll have to try that one. Get on the videos mate! lets have a gander at this amazing wrong un. mines gone tits up over the winter, def have to spend some time tomorrow getting it back. and yeah i saw the feeds next to my videos, its entirely you and jim! once i've got a few more up to add to the pile we'll have completely taken it over. i've had a fair few views on that new video already, obviously a lot of interest in the dark arts:)

macca;396205 said:
A little tentative in that clip but i see the basis of a solid repeatable action. When is your first game this season? You look like your easing back into it. Best way to avoid injury early in the season.

first game is april 24th, so not long to go at last. can't imagine the wickets will be up to much though:( damp, slow and low. Looking back now i really was erring on the tentative side, verging on lazy! I'm starting to feel a bit looser so tomorrow i'll really give it a crack, injuries be damned.

GoldenArm;396208 said:
first game is april 24th, so not long to go at last. can't imagine the wickets will be up to much though:( damp, slow and low. Looking back now i really was erring on the tentative side, verging on lazy! I'm starting to feel a bit looser so tomorrow i'll really give it a crack, injuries be damned.

I noticed today over at my local wicket they had a BIG heavy roller that they'd brought in on the back of a truck doing it's work. I could have played on the 11th but I'm away, so it looks like I'll be having my first game on the 18th of April. I had all my best games at the start of the year last year on really sticky wickets.

What i like about goldenarms action is it is simple and straight. Nothing too unusual or or idiosynchratic.

looks a very solid action, right up to the point of release. and then the follow through just fades away. you rotate perfectly (shoulders and hips perfectly aligned, light on your feet, good leading arm, etc), and then after release your right leg just flicks outwards and stops, whilst your upper body follows through very well.

if the right leg finished its rotation in the same way as your upper body then that would be a very nice looking action. also your hips and shoulders lose alignment because of that leg.

you use the same wrist action as all the other leg spinners at my club (of which it now turns out there are at least 3 full timers (including me), and 3 part timers! way too many for my liking). when you watch it at full speed it usually looks like they release the ball from underneath their palm, just because of the exaggerated wrist flick. it gets them very consistent turn, but im always sceptical about their seam position, and it tends to work perfectly in nets and then not as consistently on real wickets. ive also never seen them get any kind of drift or dip. im not sure if you suffer any of the same issues? it may be that the similarities end at the visual appearance of your hand.

i have noticed lately though that i dont flick my wrist that much, my wrist muscles drive my fingers very hard though and thats how i get the revs. and im getting low into my delivery when i need to stay taller (im dropping short too often and not flighting it well). 2 things to try out on my own bowling. although the club chairman was at nets on Monday and was very complimentary of my spin, telling me that he was amazed at how much i spin the ball. hes a spinner himself, and probably seen plenty in his time, so i guess thats a fairly good compliment to receive. if only i was consistent!

i reckon your action probably makes your bowling very consistent right?

P.S. just watching the video again - the first 5 seconds are awesome. but watch as the clock turns to 6 seconds, thats where your flaws kick in. your leading arm is completely behind you, with your shoulders pointing to leg slip. your hips are pointing to about backward square leg though where your right leg hasnt followed though. if your leg follows through then your upper body wont need to go so far, and youll stay in line. then the action would be pretty close to flawless IMO.

okay so as promised i've made a few more videos:

this is a leg break:

YouTube - Wrist Spin: Leg Break 2 (Slow Motion)

this is a big leg break:

YouTube - Wrist Spin: Leg Break 3 The Big Un (Slow Motion)

this is a googly:

YouTube - Wrist Spin: Googly (Slow Motion)

and this is a toppie:

YouTube - Wrist Spin: Top Spinner (Slow Motion)

I got a whole load of other leg breaks which i might put up because thats what i was mostly working on. didn't bother with any flippers or anything fancy today. i'll try and do that next time. I did a whole 5 minute sequence of myself going through the loop from big leg break to big googly, every ball came out perfectly and i was really chuffed. then i realised it wasn't recording. ************. might try that again next time but the chances of it coming out perfectly are slim!

GoldenArm;396360 said:

this is a leg break:

this is a big leg break:

this is a googly:

and this is a toppie:

I got a whole load of other leg breaks which i might put up because thats what i was mostly working on. didn't bother with any flippers or anything fancy today. i'll try and do that next time. I did a whole 5 minute sequence of myself going through the loop from big leg break to big googly, every ball came out perfectly and i was really chuffed. then i realised it wasn't recording. ************. might try that again next time but the chances of it coming out perfectly are slim!

Yeah that would have been a real treat to have seen those one after another an internet first I reckon!! I'm going to try and get out over the next few days and film a 10 -12 ball sequence where I bowl alternate Leg-Breaks and Wrong Uns and post them up.

The Biggun looks useful as does the Leg-Break and Top-Spinner - Good work.

GoldenArm;396360 said:

this is a leg break:

this is a big leg break:

this is a googly:

and this is a toppie:

O.K, I've seen enough. I'm going to give goldenarm plenty of overs into the breeze and rotate everybody else at the other end.

macca;396367 said:
O.K, I've seen enough. I'm going to give goldenarm plenty of overs into the breeze and rotate everybody else at the other end.

Ha! you're far too kind Macca, cheers though. wish you were my captain. i'm doing my best to squeeze as many overs as possible out of him this season. hence the reason i've been killing my thighs pulling the roller over the square today. nothing like groundwork for getting in good with the skipper:)

Back