Leg Spin Video Analysis

Re: Leg Spin Video Analysis

Absolutely, but most guys these days have the same problem... tight pecs, hip flexors and hamstrings and loose upper backs, glutes etc. It's today's lifestyle. To be totally honest with you, this is the cause of most of the sports injuries to recreational athletes :(.

I have to say, I am quite impressed by your attitude. Most cricketers would not sacrifice a season to get it right but it is so important. After all, what is one season compared with a lifetime of safe, successful play?

If your physios have sport and remedial massage qualifications, get them to release your pecs and strengthen your rhomboids, serratus, upper traps etc, which will give you a great start to getting things fixed.

I shall see if I can find the door stretch and link you to it too.

Try this...

Liz Ward;250568 said:
Door Jamb Chest Stretch.

A great one for all you sitters... and all you need is a door frame!

Extend your arms out to the side of your body at right angles, and bend your elbow 90 degrees so your hands are upwards (as if you are surrendering).
Place your forearms either side of the door frame (door opened ;)) and lean forward.
Hold the stretch for about 20-30 seconds.

And this...

Liz Ward;249501 said:
Arm-Up Rotator Stretch.

Stand with your arm out to your side (shoulder height) forearm pointing upwards at 90 degrees.

Place a broom stick in your hand and behind your elbow.

With your bottom hand pull the bottom of the broom stick forward until you can feel the stretch in the rotator cuff.

Repeat with the other arm.

And this link: http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/t58046-3/

Thanks for all your help Liz. It turns out the change in my action is nowhere near the size of adjustment I thought it was and I'm pleased I've changed it. I was bowling in the nets this evening and I think I've got it sorted - it feels more natural now and it should make variations easier. Also it would seem that this was the key thing causing my shoulder issues, as the pain I used to get after bowling has almost entirely disappeared. Thanks again :D

GoldenArm;399339 said:
I've put up a few more videos I made in that same session but never got around to posting for some reason. have a gander!

YouTube - Wrist Spin: Leg Break to a Lefthander 1

YouTube - Wrist Spin: Leg Break to a Lefthander 2

YouTube - Wrist Spin Leg Break 5

YouTube - Wrist Spin: Three Cherrys

The first of the three cherries was my favourite, that was excellent. Good clips allround, I am going to get my kid to check em out as he bowls similar style really. I'll tell you what he reckons later on.

A few observations. The 2nd ball in the Cherries series is impressive I thought. You need to get more balls rather than walking back and forth! It looks like you walk like me, which means you're probably going to get Plantar Faciitis when you're older - remember that you heard that here 1st!

It also looks as though you do another thing that I do in that when you bowl - you come right across in front of the stumps potentially blocking the umpires view.

someblokecalleddave;399421 said:
A few observations. The 2nd ball in the Cherries series is impressive I thought. You need to get more balls rather than walking back and forth! It looks like you walk like me, which means you're probably going to get Plantar Faciitis when you're older - remember that you heard that here 1st!

It also looks as though you do another thing that I do in that when you bowl - you come right across in front of the stumps potentially blocking the umpires view.

Tell me about it!!! its a real pain in the arse. I actually went out and bought two more yesterday. generally I tend to buy expensive balls because they are more like what I will bowl with on a saturday and they last longer and are obviously a lot nicer in general. (Batsmen also tend to thank you for not buying horrible slabs of concrete as well. i hate it when some tool rocks up with a cheap ball. I outright refuse to hit it! no chance i'm breaking my Redback Allegiance in the bloody nets.) But being that much more expensive i can't exactly afford to go out and buy twenty balls at 10 quid a pop. I even treated myself to a readers special (£25) yesterday which is a dream to bowl with because of the enormous seam. and yes i've inherited the Lanchbury duck feet! I got my uncles cover drive but at the expense of also having his silly walk:) i'll have to watch out for that, cheers for the heads up!

You could get someone to throw the balls back or train a dog to retrieve them like Grimmett did with his fox terrier.

GoldenArm;399422 said:
Tell me about it!!! its a real pain in the arse. I actually went out and bought two more yesterday. generally I tend to buy expensive balls because they are more like what I will bowl with on a saturday and they last longer and are obviously a lot nicer in general. (Batsmen also tend to thank you for not buying horrible slabs of concrete as well. i hate it when some tool rocks up with a cheap ball. I outright refuse to hit it! no chance i'm breaking my Redback Allegiance in the bloody nets.) But being that much more expensive i can't exactly afford to go out and buy twenty balls at 10 quid a pop. I even treated myself to a readers special (£25) yesterday which is a dream to bowl with because of the enormous seam. and yes i've inherited the Lanchbury duck feet! I got my uncles cover drive but at the expense of also having his silly walk:) i'll have to watch out for that, cheers for the heads up!

Cheapo's for the nets - any old crap. I'd never use them with a batsmen and if anyone comes along and says 'You can bowl at me' I always tell them they're rock hard. Yeah like you - certainly if I had a good bat I'd paid good money for, I'd never bat with someoe using a cheapo ball. But the kind of 3 quid balls you get at Sports and Soccer world, JJB sports and all those other Chav type 'Sports' shops are fine for bowling.

GoldenArm;399422 said:
I even treated myself to a readers special (£25) yesterday which is a dream to bowl with because of the enormous seam.

Special Test, or Sovereign Special? most places have Special Test balls for about £7-10. they are a nice enough ball to bowl with for the money. im guessing you went for the Sovereign at £25, not bowled with anything quite that fancy yet.

il share my thoughts on the balls ive been using this pre-season (none of which im particularly pleased with)...

Kookaburra Gold Crowns are horrid, they are very soft, and become completely dull (and scuffed) after hardly any time at all. in matches they are probably pretty good, but over time in nets they arent. i cant bowl with balls now that scuff up as it dries my hands out too much and i struggle to grip them. i prefer harder shiny balls. they also use way too much dye in the leather, so you end up covered in red whenever you add some moisture to the surface.

Slazenger balls are a mixed bag, i had one that was awesome and light when i first started last year and was my go-to practice ball for a while, but its too beaten up now. however i got another and its big and heavy and not scuffing up at all. its horrible to bowl with.

my favourite ball at present is a Dukes Century A. its super shiny with almost no scuffing. its also the heaviest and largest ball i own. but for some reason im just able to get a better grip on it than any of my other balls. its a bad sign though when your best practice ball is on paper the worst of all of them. even batsmen are telling me i need a scuffed up ball. but the Duke turns just as well as any of the others.

ive got a white Readers Special Test which is better, its smaller and lighter and nice soft leather without being scuffed up, but its white, so i cant bowl it at batsmen.

ive bowled with a mixed bag in matches this season. i havent even paid enough attention to see what they were! theyve all worked well enough that i didnt much care. any kind of match ball tends to be good to bowl with, im equally as happy with a brand new ball as i am a 90 over old one. its only <£15 balls that are problematic to bowl with, as they tend to be hard as nails, often too big or too small, and often very heavy. and if you dont bowl them at batsmen then they never soften up.

my next ball purchase will probably be a Readers match ball of some description. or i might try and get my hands on some used club match balls. theyve all been nice to bowl with thus far.

Back