Leg Spin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean

Leg Spin

Some of you may have seen footage of me bowling at the nets.

If you haven't here are some links.

(Sorry for the poor vision. I don't have a video camera, so I have to use my phone.)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqQPFyDEOAs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqQPFyDEOAs[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIFQjC9LRKk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIFQjC9LRKk[/ame]

I know that I bowl short, and need help.

I went to the nets today with my mates.

I bowled alright, was getting a fair bit of turn.

But I was easily cut and pulled. And whenever I bowled it fuller, I was advanced at and smashed.

I'm more of a flatter leggie. I can get a fair bit of bounce, but it makes it easier for the batsmen to cut and pull me.

Has anyone got any tips?

Re: Leg Spin

I cannot see any follow through from you and this is a sign that your action is too 'easy'. Watch Shane Warne bowl, the jump and action has a lot of momentum to it and consequently, the ball is naturally fuller unless it sticks in his hand and he drags it down. You may need a slight run up to help get this momentum to get the ball fuller, remember that a lot of spinners used to have a three or five step run up pre-Warne.

Do not be upset about batsman advancing up the wicket and smacking you because that is what you want as a spinner. Vary up the pace slightly and you'll soon see the batsman spoon one to an infielder. Also, if you spin the ball, the batsman will miss any balls they advance to and don't get to the pitch to.

But remember, the odd short one isn't a bad thing, it can have the batsmen dancing, ive gotten a few wickets from a short quick one at the batsmen, he tries to flay it away or defend it and its hit the glove or splice, and given me wickets.

Manee's advice is spot on.

My run up is only 5 steps, it's kinda weird having it longer because it'd feel like I'm running in.

Simbazz said:
But remember, the odd short one isn't a bad thing, it can have the batsmen dancing, ive gotten a few wickets from a short quick one at the batsmen, he tries to flay it away or defend it and its hit the glove or splice, and given me wickets.

Manee's advice is spot on.

Yeah, but it isn't the odd ball that is short. It is happening alot. It's mainly the odd ball that is full and troubles the batsman.

There are basically two kinds of leg-spin:
Finger-Spin and Wrist-Spin

I use Wrist-Spin as it gives more spin and comes more easily to me.
I have observed certain people using finger-spin, it sometimes yields a lot of runs, but a lot of wickets.
That is the same you too are doing.
I would advise you to have a more vigorous action.

Eh, and spin even more? If I spin anymore, I'll be spinning from one side of the pitch, into the other net! ::)

Try the cricket snooker drill and concentrate on hitting the length that you want. It's all about having control over the ball.

Take a step back and just work on being able to land the ball where where you want to, then work on getting the spin etc.

Whenever i coach the younger ages at my club, i see over eager fast bowlers bowling good speed but horrid length, line and anything else. So my simple answer to them is "slow it down," its simple! Works for spinners to, slow it down, float it to a good length, then quicken it up, oh and when you slow it down, dont spin it one bit!!! Once your hitting a good length, add pace and spin back to the ball! :p

i used to bowl off about 5 steps with spin, but now i just stand anywhere i like and bowl lol mainly 2 steps behind the umpire if hes back a bit, when i have a run up i spray it everywhere lol :S

Sean - You sound like you're good at this, tell us more. What are the secrets to leg spin. Do you only throw leg spin, can you consistently pitch the ball into a very small zone when you practice? How do you practice and how often?

I've noticed a couple of blokes previously gave some advice earler in this thread regarding Spin bowling. Mentioning the variation in pace as an important factor and also accuracy with length.

At the end of last summer I saw an older bloke than me (I'm 47) pin down all our best batsman simply bowling primarily straight balls but landing them in an area the batsmen described as being really awkward. What kind of length are we talking here? Can someone be specific - I've looked at Shane Warnes hawkeye images that plot where the ball lands when he bowls and they're all around the 4 - 5 yards in front of the stumps. Is this the ideal length? The same bloke in the same match was also spot on with his line - almost every ball was pitched in line with the stumps, but he wasn't getting a lot of turn off the wicket so they were primarily straight balls? This bloke bowled something like 10 or 12 overs and had 7 maiden overs and took 1 wicket off a catch.

Is there a lot of psychology going on here? Did this happen because they knew the bloke was a spin bowler and therefore may have had the potential to make the ball turn - but were intimidated by him, worried that as soon as they went after him he'd change tactics? They all just dug in and played defensive shots. Has any had this experience or seen a similar thing happen? It looked to me that it was simply down to the accuracy of the delivery - same length and line give or take a couple of feet and all threatening the stumps is this a good tactic as a spin bowler?

All you blokes out there bowling spin - how consistent are you with your bowling? If you're bowling your stock ball in a pratice session on your own how many times as a percentage would you be able to pitch the ball into an area say 3' long and 1' wide set in front of the stumps at 4 yards?

How long did it take you to learn to do that and using what delivery? Leg break, Wrong Un, Slider, Flipper or Top Spinner?

Another question - Prior to a game do you warm up before the game or do you walk straight out onto the wicket and start pitching the ball exactly where you want it? I personally find that I have to throw a 3 or 4 overs off the field before the game in order that I'm ready to bowl. I can't simply go out there and throw good balls in the first 3 or 4 overs. This is a revelation I've discovered since the end of the season when I've been reflecting on what I was doing wrong during the season. I've now discovered that if I throw 3 or 4 warm up overs by the time I'm into the 3rd or 4th over the line and length is coming together. I then stop and don't bowl for another hour or two to replicate match conditions and I've found that when I then start all that time later I'm able to bowl far more affectively. Anyone have the same problems - or is it I'm just new to this and older than your average "Newby" Leg Spin Bowler?

someblokecalleddave said:
Is there a lot of psychology going on here? Did this happen because they knew the bloke was a spin bowler and therefore may have had the potential to make the ball turn - but were intimidated by him, worried that as soon as they went after him he'd change tactics? They all just dug in and played defensive shots. Has any had this experience or seen a similar thing happen?

I think this is quite a common thing in village\lower league cricket and I have certainly witnessed the phenomenon of the middle age spinner who takes 5 wickets plus every week due to batsman giving him to much respect.

It may well have been that they knew him and had gotten out to him in previous years by trying to attack him, so the defensive mindset kicks in.

I dare say that he is also reasonable bowler, especially if he can stick it on the same spot more often than not. As for this spot, well it probably will be about the same as you mentioned, 4-7 yards in front of the stumps, but there may be some variation on this due to the pitch.

someblokecalleddave said:
Another question - Prior to a game do you warm up before the game or do you walk straight out onto the wicket and start pitching the ball exactly where you want it? I personally find that I have to throw a 3 or 4 overs off the field before the game in order that I'm ready to bowl. I can't simply go out there and throw good balls in the first 3 or 4 overs. This is a revelation I've discovered since the end of the season when I've been reflecting on what I was doing wrong during the season. I've now discovered that if I throw 3 or 4 warm up overs by the time I'm into the 3rd or 4th over the line and length is coming together. I then stop and don't bowl for another hour or two to replicate match conditions and I've found that when I then start all that time later I'm able to bowl far more affectively. Anyone have the same problems - or is it I'm just new to this and older than your average "Newby" Leg Spin Bowler?

Dave - I bowl pace and find the same thing. I need warm up overs in order to get my body working and fine tune my radar. If helps if I'm playing regular cricket but in a stop start year, such as the last summer, I really do need those pre match warm up overs.

Nice one 'Almost', I think they had played the team before, so it may have been they were aware of him and his potential, or he may have just really got into them early in his overs and a negative mind set may have been created between the 2 batsmen? I hope we come up against the bloke next year as I'd love to see him bowl again and this time take more notice of what he's doing and maybe talk to him.

Regarding the warm up - that's good to hear that you feel the same. I think our lot do have a warm up before the games, but up until recently I've kind of felt like the new bloke and not felt as though I fit in that well, so haven't ever turned up so early as to be involved in the warm ups (Didn't realise the benefits either). But since the end of the saeson and the AGM and the annual dinner and dance I've come to realise I'm integral to the team so I'm really looking forward to next spring and the start of the season and having some impact on the games.

Last season I was a little over ambitious I think with my bowling always looking to pitch it wide and have it turn into the stumpas a la Shane Warne. It's the sort of thing I can do well in practice situations but then when faced with the psychology or playing for real and having to hold it together mentally once I'd been hit over the boundary several times, I found I couldn't do it.

Seeing this bloke and his approach has changed my whole strategy. My stock ball was the flipper with Wrong uns thrown in as a variation but it wasn't working. Since seeing this bloke play I've been concentrating on Top Spinners as my stock ball and looking to land the ball at a consistent line and length in the way that he did. So far it's coming along okay.

I would say that the key thing with spin is consistency, if you can land the ball where you want to, time after time, you're going to get wickets.

Ok, you may get hit for a few boundaries but if your in control of that ball then you'll always be able to trick a batsman or two out. You may even be able to get into the heads of the others and run through a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back