Leg Spin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Leg Spin

Sean said:
I've had that happen to me before aswell. I've tried to bowl the toppy or the wrong un, and out comes a ripping leggy. I've got no idea why.

That happens to me 75% of the time when I have tried to bowl a googly. It turns a mile and everyone ooos and aahs. I just grin wisely and act like I know what I am doing.

Its a good sign, if I dont know what I am bowling what chance does the batsman!

lol you can tell that to my mate whos a fellow leg spinner who bowled 2 overs constituting 32 balls and 28 runs involving a lot of double bounces and wides, i think its one of the worst days he's ever had. Usually he's a quality leg spinner though some days it just doesn't go right

fortunately my bad days seem to consist either of no spin with accuracy or tons of spin pitching and spinning in from outside leg to middle

on the same note as dodgy leg spinner i've experienced the trying to bowl googly and getting leg spinner the tip is to try to use your wrist more instead of your arm

Cracked it!
I completely deconstructed my entire bowling action today. I was down the field for about five hours starting right from scratch, trying to work out where the problem was. Long story short, whilst bowling from standing still, I noticed that I was getting plenty of revs, so it wasn't a problem with the spin. However, with one particular ball I noticed that the ball was coming out of my hand fine, spinning square on to the stumps like a big leg break should. However, I noticed that just before the ball pitched, it started to almost rotate on the horizontal axis (ie the seam started to roll back from vertical so that it was on a longitudanal axis). THAT was why it wasn't spinning - the seam wasn't touching the pitch! After some trial and error, I narrowed it down to the fact that my wrist was slightly loose when I released the ball, and therefore the seam wasn't staying vertical. I've now made a mental note to 'lock' my wrist and grip the ball a little tighter when bowling, and that seems to have solved it. My accuracy's still a little bit off, but I'm so happy to be turning the ball again that I don't care!

Oh, and one other thing... (sorry for the doublepost guys) with regards to the flipper - I know it's not unusual for it to turn slightly as well as keep low, but which way 'should' it be turning? I'm pretty sure I've got the action right, but I've got a feeling that it's supposed to be moving away from the right hander, whereas mine is turning (often VERY sharply) back in towards the righty - I'm actually getting more turn with my flipper than I am my googly!
Also on this subject - I think it should be technically possible to 'choose' which way you want your flipper to deviate. I'll look into it a bit more when I next practice, but I think it should be possible to get the ball to deviate either way simply by angling your wrist slightly on release.

Just a question. When you're bowling the ball, should you be spinnig it with the ball spinning side on, or on a angle?

It depends what you're trying to do.

If you want the maximum amount of turn available, then yeah, the ball should be spinning side on with the seam pointing across the direction the ball is travelling.

However, if you angle your wrist so that the ball is delivered spinning at an angle, you will get a 'combined' delivery - for example, if you angle the ball so it's spinning at 45 degrees either towards or away from the batsman, you'll still get turn, but it will be less than if the seam was completely side on. However, what you will get is either over or under spin because the ball will be spinning slightly forwards or backwards, resulting in a slightly smaller leg break that either gets extra or less bounce than a normal leg break would. It's a very handy weapon to catch a batsman out with.

Yeah, somewhere between the two. Probably the other way round if anything - A leg break with a bit of top spin. And obviously if you angled the ball backwards you'd get a leg break that kept lower than normal. (Pretty handy on the fairly hard Aussie wickets, I'm betting!)

Nightvision said:
Yeah, somewhere between the two. Probably the other way round if anything - A leg break with a bit of top spin. And obviously if you angled the ball backwards you'd get a leg break that kept lower than normal. (Pretty handy on the fairly hard Aussie wickets, I'm betting!)
And that would be the slider? I've always wanted to bowl on a turf pitch. Dunno when I'll get the chance.

Hey guys...

I took a ball out and bowled for the first time in about 11 years today. Naturally, it was like bowling for the first time. I've forgotten everything. I don't think I'll ever be anywhere near good enough (my batting is a shambles) to play on any kind of team again, but I enjoy bowling legspin so much.

I noticed today that my stock delivery appears to be a flat, fast nonspinner/topspinner and my googly turns a lot more than my leg-break. The weirdest thing is, when I try bowling the flipper with the old finger-snapping action, I notice it both stays low, skids on AND turns more than my leg-break! I wonder what's going on there?

I may venture out to the local football pitch tomorrow morning for a spot of practice when there's no-one around...

someblokecalleddave said:
What about in the winter - don't they get a bit of rain then? I'll have to check out where Essendon is.
I only play indoor cricket in winter.

LewisQ said:
Hey guys...

I took a ball out and bowled for the first time in about 11 years today. Naturally, it was like bowling for the first time. I've forgotten everything. I don't think I'll ever be anywhere near good enough (my batting is a shambles) to play on any kind of team again, but I enjoy bowling legspin so much.

I noticed today that my stock delivery appears to be a flat, fast nonspinner/topspinner and my googly turns a lot more than my leg-break. The weirdest thing is, when I try bowling the flipper with the old finger-snapping action, I notice it both stays low, skids on AND turns more than my leg-break! I wonder what's going on there?

I may venture out to the local football pitch tomorrow morning for a spot of practice when there's no-one around...

Yep - my flipper does the same thing - though I don't mind. Let us know how you get on - good to have you on the Leg Spin thread and keep at it - I didn't take this game up till 2 years ago at the age of 45, so it's not too late.

Thanks for the welcome and input, Dave!

I've been thinking about the turning flipper thing; intuitively, it doesn't make any sense because the flipper is a quicker delivery and you'd think it would have less chance to grip and therefore turn than a slower leg-break.

However, my theory is that my flipper is turning because my fingers are more involved in the action. Perhaps as wrist-spinners we sometimes neglect to involve our fingers sufficiently? I know my leg-break basically involves an ill-timed flick of the wrist on release.

I've found that leaving my thumb off the ball assists my accuracy greatly (I know it works the other way for some.) My thumb tends to drag the delivery towards the off-side.

I tell you what, though, either there's something wrong with me physically or bowling is something you should ease back into. Today, I felt like I'd been hit by a train. My back ached and a few too many googlies had taken their toll on my shoulder. I only bowled about 70 deliveries, too...

LewisQ good luck re the leggies, there need to be more legspin bowlers and less pie chucking finger spinners! I did my shoulder in a while back bowling googlies. I used to be able to bowl them at will before the injury so be careful as I have not been able to bowl them the same way since.

Nightvision, My flipper cuts in as I bowl it almost like a back spun offbreak.

Had quite a successful Saturday bowling wise for my team in the fourth XI (took 5- look out the 3rds :laugh: ) Didnt get much turn due to the rain but was getting loads of drift and zip of the pitch. Tried the back spun leggie but it not turn :confused: I obviously need to work on it.

On another note, I have been looking at the the wrist spin book Dave recommended and it looks like besides have an odd run up and delivery and I am also spinning the ball unorthodoxly as I use my second or middle finger rather the orthodox third finger to impart spin. Does any one else spin it this way or are they doing it the text book way? Are there any disadvantages that you can see?

Yep - if you've not been doing it for a while and you're over 18 you're probably going to suffer a bit. I find my lower back around the hips gets affected. With regards the arms and shoulders it's all about the rotator cuff. Actually if you're going to be putting time in practicing loads, it's probably worthwhile looking at the fitness and nutrition threads, there's some on their relating to the rotator cuff. The thing is with the rotator cuff if you do damage it badly it's more or less non repairable unless you have an op and get the stretched bit cut away so that it's taught again. But it never quite works the same again and that's it your bowling days are ended. So it's worth looking after it. I do stretching those big elastic band things round the back of the head with full extension of the arms and rotational press ups to keep mine in order and since doing these exercises I've been fine. Whereas last year when I really started to train hard I did start to damage my shoulder and had to stop for a couple of months.

Wrong uns - I used to give them a ridiculously big flick that jarred right through my body - top of my arm and shoulder used to suffer - but again once I started on the elastic band exercises that was sorted too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back